Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:38 PM
BLUElixir
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Old MKII/93 Vs. New E-Receiver with Pictures

Lately there have been a few threads asking about identifying the new or old MKII and 93 actions. Savage used to make two different receivers/actions. One for the MKII (.22lr or .17hm2) and one for the 93 series guns (.22mag or .17hmr). Sometime in the past year or so Savage started making the "E-Receiver". The e-receiver is now used for all of the 4 common rimfire calibers. Here are some pictures that show the past and present guns.

The top gun is an old style MKII F in .22lr. The bottom gun is an e-receiver MKII F in .22lr. Some of the changes are:
*The e-receiver is 7 3/4" long vs 7 1/8" for the old MKII and 93 receivers.
*The ejection port is roughly 1.66" long on the e-receiver vs. 1.39" long for the old MKII receiver. The old 93 receivers had a 1.6" long ejection port.
*The e-receiver has a gas escape hole on either side, just forward of the bolt. The old MKII receivers did not have this hole but the old 93 receivers did.
*The trigger groups, mag wells, pillars/holds downs, and associated brackets are all different.
*The e-receivers are drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The older MKII F was grooved for tip-off scope rings. The more expensive versions of the old receivers were drilled and tapped for scope mounts.
*There are two barrel retaining pins in the e-receiver guns. The older guns only had one pin.

Here is a quick picture of a old style action from a Savage Striker pistol. This action only has one hold down/pillar. I believe that some of the older rifles were like this also.

E-receiver barrel is on the left, old MKII barrel on the right. Both new and old MKII F barrels both measure 0.68_" in diameter but have slightly different cuts near the chamber.

Old MKII action is on top and the e-receiver is on the bottom. This particular old MKII receiver is a left hand action from a Striker pistol. Notice the difference in receiver length and ejection port length. The older MKIIs had a shorter ejection port than the older 93s and the e-receiver guns. For some reason Savage changed the scope base mounting hole spacing on the Strikers. Unless they are modified, the one-piece scope bases that are currently on the market won't line up with the Striker's scope base mounting holes. The old style MKII and 93 rifles should have the same scope base mounting hole spacing as the e-receiver guns.

Old MKII action is on top and the e-receiver is on the bottom. This particular old MKII receiver was not an F and is a left hand action. The mounting holes and cuts are totally different. The mag well cut out on the e-receiver is sized for the .22mag/.17hmr magazines even though this gun is a .22lr.

The e-receiver on the left has a strange bevel inside of the receiver where the barrel slides in. The old receivers did not have this.

The top gun is a older .17hmr gun with the Accutrigger. The middle receiver is an older, left hand MKII action. The bottom is the e-receiver. The old style MKII and 93 actions are the same length. The e-receiver is about 5/8" longer than the old actions.

The top gun shows the old Accutrigger (maybe the same as the e-receiver Accutrigger???). The trigger in the lower left is the non-Accutrigger from a e-receiver gun. The lower right is an old style non-Accutrigger. The e-receiver non-Accutrigger looks very similar to the Accutrigger.

The top bolt is from an old style, left hand, MKII gun. The middle bolt is from an old style 93 action. The bottom bolt is from the e-receiver gun.

In this picture, the e-receiver stock is on the top and the old style MKII/93 stock is on the bottom. They are both marked for the MKII and 93 actions. The e-receiver stock has raised contact points where the pillars/hold downs are. The inletting for the trigger group is a little different and the safety cut-out is a little larger on the e-receiver stock. I'm wondering if, with a few modifications, the stocks could be swapped.

Heavy barreled guns have an easy way to tell the old style from the e-receiver. The old style receivers had heavy barrels that were the same diameter as the receiver for the first four inches. After that the barrel steps down to about 0.80" and stays that diameter all the way to the muzzle. The e-receiver guns have heavy barrels that are one diameter (around .80") all the way from the receiver to the muzzle.

The top picture is an old style MKII BV. The bottom picture is a e-receiver gun with a heavy barrel (and Accutrigger). Thanks to cwa11is for the picture!

Unfortunately I don't have an example of all past and present Savage guns so there may be small details that differ. Please let me know if you have anything to add to this write up! I didn't discover all of these changes. I just thought it would be good to document them.

Last edited by BLUElixir; 10-16-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 PM
oltmann

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice set of pics! Did the new gun give up it's barrel easy enough? (Did it take much pounding to get it out?)

Just wanted to add I have started doing a shim trigger job on an E receiver(non accutrigger) and it seems to be going well.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:41 AM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Thanks oltmann! The e-receiver barrel did come out easily. There are two pins holding the barrel in. The rear one is solid and the front is a roll pin. Its a little strange but the front hold down/pillar can't be removed until the roll pin is knocked out. Then knock out the rear solid pin. My barrel was a fairly easy slip fit. I can insert and remove it easily. The old MKIIs that I have removed the barrel from have been VERY tight and required alot of pounding.

Make sure and share your trigger shim info in the trigger shim thread! I know that it will help people!

I updated some small details in the original post and added pictures of the stock inletting.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:50 PM
PRES 10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is exactly what I was looking for a couple days ago. Great info and pics here. Sticky worthy IMO.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 PM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Thanks PRES! I'm glad it helped.

I just added a couple of more pictures. Does anyone have a picture of an e-receiver gun with a heavy barrel? We need a picture that shows that the e-receiver guns don't have a step in the barrel.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
cwa11is

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As requested:

E-receiver heavy barrel MKII-FV .22lr

Old 12-08-2009, 04:12 PM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Thanks cwa11is!!! Just what we needed. I'm going to incorporate it into the write-up.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 PM
FurMuncher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa11is View Post
As requested:

E-receiver heavy barrel MKII-FV .22lr

cwa11is where did you get the one piece base?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Cwa11is will probably speak up soon but it looks like an EGW scope base. I have respect for their company and products but you should also look at the Rimfire Technology one piece base.

Last edited by BLUElixir; 01-15-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
cwa11is

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurMuncher View Post
cwa11is where did you get the one piece base?
Yes, BLUElixir is correct. It is an EGW 20 moa base. If you get one for your .22lr e-receiver, be sure to get the 93 version of the base.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hrm... Anyone know of any appoximate serial cut off for the change from non-e to e on the 22wmr guns? Or a serial -> date lookup online? Getting thru to savage takes a long time...
Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 PM
BLUElixir

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
So far I have not seen a serial number cut-off or production date/serial number lookup. That would be great if we could get that info.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 PM
benzy2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What is the difference in mounting screw distances from the old recievers to the new E-reciever? I am looking at getting a new stock and was trying to visuallize how far off I would be if I were to get a stock cut for an E-receiver. I'm hoping it is close enough that a new hole could be driller to the right distance but large in diameter to fit a pillar down and the diameter of the pillar will be enough the entire original hole is removed rather than just having to oval the hole out. I would much rather it look right than like something bubba made.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 PM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
this needs to be a sticky
Old 01-29-2010, 07:06 PM
StretchMaK

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2 View Post
What is the difference in mounting screw distances from the old recievers to the new E-reciever? I am looking at getting a new stock and was trying to visuallize how far off I would be if I were to get a stock cut for an E-receiver. I'm hoping it is close enough that a new hole could be driller to the right distance but large in diameter to fit a pillar down and the diameter of the pillar will be enough the entire original hole is removed rather than just having to oval the hole out. I would much rather it look right than like something bubba made.

I put an old MkII .22 in a boyds stock for the "E" reciever and it lined up just fine. Only had to change the bottom metal.