Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:05 PM
wksinatl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RimFire Technologies rails on my URAL..lots of pics

***********EDIT*********

Since I posted this Rimfire Technologies has come out with a new rail designed especially for the Ural. A better choice can be found in this thread. Thanks, Keith https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=306108

***********EDIT*********

These rails came from HotRod9mm. His site is http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/

I use their rails on my CZ and Sako FinnFire and tried the CZ rail on my URAL. It fits! I then tried a rail for an Annie 54 and 64. They fit! I’m posting some pics so y’all will know what they look like on the URAL. The scope is a Weaver Grand Slam, 6-20x-40mm. The rings used are Burris Signature Zee rings with -5moa in the front and +20moa in the back plus the 20moa of the rail itself. We shoot at ridiculous ranges and need the extra elevation. This scope is 1/8moa clicks and one full turn of the turret is only 6moa.

All rails shown are 20moa. They offer them in 0moa if that’s what you want. One thing I really like about these rails is the way they are secured to the top rail of the receiver. Depending on the rail you choose it uses either 6ea or 8ea 6/32” stainless set screws. It is a clean install and no clamping screws or bolts hanging off the sides. When tightened down the screws below flush and out of sight. Fit and finish is top notch.

These rails are priced right and RT is good to deal with. The CZ 20moa rail is about 55 bucks. Annie 64 20moa is about 60 bucks and the 54 is about 56 bucks.

Personally I like the looks of the Annie 54 rail. My shootin’ bud prefers the Annie 64 so he can move the scope forward for better eye relief. The pics shown are with the rail lined up with ejection port on the receiver. I also showed the clearance between the 40mm bell and the barrel.

It looks like I keep posting the same rifle but if you look close the rails are different and the scope clearance and eye relief are different.

You will notice that the Annie rails are rounded and the CZ is squared. Both work as lock up for both are the same on the rail as the screws "push" the rails to engage the same. That is probably a poor way to describe it but think you will get my drift.

If you own a URAL and are going to scope it check out his rails before you buy somewhere else.

Hey HotRod9mm, if you want to add anything or correct me feel free to jump in.

Keith

Annie 54 rail:

Annie 64 rail:

CZ Varmint rail:

Last edited by wksinatl; 11-09-2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: better info available
Old 09-25-2009, 06:08 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Respective Rail Groove Width

Quote:
Originally Posted by wksinatl View Post
These rails came from HotRod9mm.
His site is http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/
Great find wksinatl -aom22.
Could you list the groove width of each respective scope mount rail is designed to fit?
It might be helpful information for other purposes.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM
calixt0
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
great looking rails thanks for the heads up. how far are you shooting that you need so much elevation 20moa built into the rails then another 20moa (?) in the ring inserts?

sorry If i am thread jacking but quick question if these types of mounts are added how much height is added to the rings. I'm thing to put a 50mm objective on would I still need extra high rings or would high or medium work since this is clearly adding some extra height.

Last edited by calixt0; 09-25-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 07:27 AM
wksinatl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calixt0 View Post
great looking rails thanks for the heads up. how far are you shooting that you need so much elevation 20moa built into the rails then another 20moa (?) in the ring inserts?

sorry If i am thread jacking but quick question if these types of mounts are added how much height is added to the rings. I'm thing to put a 50mm objective on would I still need extra high rings or would high or medium work since this is clearly adding some extra height.
We shoot out to 300yds. We shoot SERIOUSLY out to 200yds. Beyond 250 is asking alot of the little 40gr bullet especially if there is any wind. You would be surprised what some of these shooters can do at 200yds with a good rifle/ammo/optics combo.

The scope on this rifle has a 1" tube so that restricts the amount of elevation versus a 30mm tube. Also this particular scope wasn't engineered with much adjustment to start with. With the Leupold MK4 I have on another CM-2 I can easily get to 200yds with the scope alone, no canted rail on that gun.

The pics are with Burris Low rings. I measured and THINK that I could get a 50mm bell on it and still see daylight between the barrel and objective. If it were too tight I feel certain that Mediums would work. I think that the extra highs would be WAY too tall and getting a good check weld would be tough.

i just measured the 64 rail and it raises it .3750". The CZ rail raises it .1905". I like the scope just as close to the bore as possible without touching.

Keith
Old 09-26-2009, 09:48 AM
HotRod9mm
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
Great find wksinatl -aom22.
Could you list the groove width of each respective scope mount rail is designed to fit?
It might be helpful information for other purposes.
All 3 rails are 11mm.

CZ Standard Rail

CZ 20MOA

Anschutz 54 Standard Rail

Anschutz 54 20MOA Rail

Anschutz 64 Standard Rail

Anschutz 64 20MOA Rail

Thanks Keith for the thread!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:34 AM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the idea and all......but my dovetail on my CM-2 made in 04 measures
out at .425 to .430 or 10.80 to 10.92MM. 11MM would have too sloppy of a
fit for long term usage.
Here is the iron sight rail my machinist made me for my BB so I could use my CM-2
iron sight.

Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 09-26-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:20 PM
calixt0

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
would these work. much less expensive but not if they don't work. claims to work with 3/8 or 11mm rail

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=360568

Last edited by calixt0; 09-30-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
wksinatl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, thanks for the Kudo's, Roger.

I have LOTS of ideas....sometimes not all of the are good ones

I'm always glad to help and have had a bunch of help from others here. Sometimes someone can give you a little help or motivation and they don't even realize it.

Anyway, removing the front sight wasn't bad. Remove the set screw (flat blade). I had to add some heat to get it off. Evidently they use some type of adhesive to bond it to the barrel plus the set screw helps hold it and also to align it. Remove the insert, add heat, and GENTLY tap it off. I used a propane torch, small wood block and hammer to get it off. You can put enough heat on it to remove it but not so much that it messes up the fine Russian paint job on the sight itself.

You end up with a REAL shiny portion of the barrel. I decided to try cold bluing it first to see how it would look. If that didn't look OK I would use a semi-gloss paint (hoping) to match the rest of the barrel. Eventually I will probably have all of the metal work coated. It turned out OK so will be like that for awhile.

Last night I took a quick pic of the URAL in my office. On a whim I pulled a scope off of my 223ai and stuck on this rifle. I pulled the Weaver off and mounted a Leupold 8.5-25x-50mm with M1 knobs on it.

You can see the end of the barrel after cold bluing it. The bluing looks better IN the picture than in person, though.

Last edited by wksinatl; 10-02-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:39 PM
calixt0

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calixt0 View Post
would these work. much less expensive but not if they don't work. claims to work with 3/8 or 11mm rail

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=360568
Does anybody have any info on these? trying to keep this gun on the cheap
Old 11-08-2009, 05:48 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A Better Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by wksinatl View Post
Wow, thanks for the Kudo's, Roger.

I have LOTS of ideas....sometimes not all of the are good ones
In the interim wksinatl has worked in-coordination with HotRod9mm
_ of Rimfire Technologies to produce a URAL specific scope mounting rail.

The end result of these efforts are several
_ high-quality rails for URALs with an approximate 11mm top groove.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:09 AM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

wksinatl ... I STICKIED your thread.