Marlin 60, or Remington 552? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:01 AM
oldfella
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Marlin 60, or Remington 552?

Any one care to give me an objective reading - a best pick between a Marlin 60 and a Remington 552...(or something better than these two, without braking the bank) - please? Thanks.

Pete
Old 08-29-2009, 12:09 PM
CoastieN70
US Coast Guard Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marilin 60 = Chevy. Good dependable and accurate at a reasonably low price.

Remington 552 = Cadillac. Does everything the Marlin 60 does but is more pretty. Nicer wood, nicer metal finish but when all is said and done, it really doesn't out perform the Marlin.

So Marlin 60, MSRP $179.00

Or Remington 552 MSRP $593.00
Old 08-29-2009, 12:40 PM
jb77
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't forget the Thompson Center selections, a very often overlooked option.

99.9% of everything I have read has beeen positive.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 PM
BKVic
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a model60 that I purchased about 21 years ago and its a very nice rifle with nice wood for a gun costing about $90 back then. The problem now is that the model 60s look so cheap compaired to mine to the point that I refused to buy one for my kids, the wood looks awful. I guess Ill have to let them use mine.

BKVic
Old 08-29-2009, 01:29 PM
james
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
mod 60... any day
Old 08-29-2009, 05:43 PM
MOS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieN70 View Post
Marilin 60 = Chevy. Good dependable and accurate at a reasonably low price.

Remington 552 = Cadillac. Does everything the Marlin 60 does but is more pretty. Nicer wood, nicer metal finish but when all is said and done, it really doesn't out perform the Marlin.

So Marlin 60, MSRP $179.00

Or Remington 552 MSRP $593.00
Perfect
Old 08-29-2009, 06:12 PM
cypresscreek_

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Remington 552 Speedmaster. It is a used gun which was made in 1974. I recently picked it up at a gun show for about $150. The gun functions real well and will still shoot .22 shorts with out any problems. If you can find a nice used 552 I would recommend buying one. I have not shot the marlin 60 nor do I own one but I hear they are excellent guns. I think you can find them new for just over $100 or so. I saw a couple in the pawn shop for $80 to $90 range.
I would buy the marlin first because itís the most affordable, and save your money to buy a good used 552 later. You won't regret it.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM
pmullineaux
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have both, and have had both. The marlin, has a last shot bolt hold open, and it may be more accurate out of the box.
The remmy 552 is a total classic, no matter what you get, new or used, it will eventually go up in value. the 552 is one of the few ever 22 semi auto's, that can reliably fire short, long, and long rifle, all in the same tube; it may even fire, and cycle Aguila Super Colibri's, or cci cb rounds. I need to find that out tommorrow as a matter of fact. It will also reliably, AND ACCURATELY , fire the massive Aguila 60 grain SSS bullets. No other 22, unless it is purpose made, can accurate fire the SSS rounds. it is becuase of its unique chamber design.
AS much as I like marlins, and am a marlin man, the speedmaster is in a totally
different class, and should be had by everone at least once. Especially if it is a nice one, with some nice wood on it, in a high polish relief.

Last edited by pmullineaux; 08-29-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 PM
pmullineaux

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
like this;

they are quite expensive new. so if you see a used one, and it is in nice shape, with good wood, and it is 200 bucks, don't be afraid to buy it...
Old 08-30-2009, 06:04 PM
oldfella
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mi Culpa

It is time to fess-up: I had a sweet Marlin 39A Mounty... and sold it - You see, I'm up in years and can only shoot standing for five to ten minutes; I now have to shoot sitting, at bench rest. I am no longer able to clearly see the front sight, so I used a 4X scope - it is very frustrating to have to lift the rifle to activate the lever, and lose my target sighting... I had to have a semi-auto. After a few weeks of asking and researching, I settled for the Remington 552... Yep, I bought one. A feller form this board sold me a new (2006) unfired one, a beauty. I bought a EOTech sight, even if I couldn't afford one, for the reason most folks want one - you can shoot with both eyes open, and a tiny read dot for distance shooting is ideal. Problem is that the sight does not fit the grooves on the rifle. Couple of days ago some one suggested a Weaver-to-Piccattini (sp) conversion base and I ordered one this past Friday - if it doesn't work I'm selling this rifle... my confession for the day.

Pete
Old 08-30-2009, 06:20 PM
passport

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
552 all the way!!!!!!!!!!! I love mine accurate, runs forever before needs to be cleaned, light. No down side.

I have since added a Leupold M8 4x, perfect package IMO.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:45 PM
rsv1mos
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Oh I love these "which is the better" threads. Depends upon which forum you post 'em as to results. But I must say, opinions posted here show little prejudice toward the Marlin.

8 months ago I would have said the Remington 552, now I'm not so sure.

Owning 31 model 60's and their varients and seven 552's both old and new, and having fully disassembled and shot both I write with some experience. I'm a long time Remington user but only a recent model 60 buyer, that 8 month thing.

IMO the 552 is the better rifle. It's better stocked, uses better materials in it's manufacture and the BDF versions both early and late are stylish and better looking than the rather plain model 60, but not by much. It will also cycle shorts, longs, and long rifles interchangeably. A big PLUS. In my opinion, accuracy is a wash, both are extremely accurate for semi-auto rifles.

But......The model 60 is more user friendly, comes in many variations, it's simpler to maintain and properly serviced WAY more reliable than the 552, and it's way CHEAPER in price. Additionally the bolt handle is on the correct side, I hate that left hand charging handle on the 552, also the one piece stock of the 60 beats the rather loose and clunky 552 forestock. I can't forget the bolt hold open feature on the older 60's (although early models did not have it,) and the Last Shot Hold Open "LSHO" feature of the 1985's and later. A big plus over the 552.

Which one would I buy???? With price a consideration - the 60 every time, maybe even if price was not a consideration. And, I'm a card carrying member of the Remington Society of America......

Last edited by rsv1mos; 09-01-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Deltaboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get the 60 if money is an issue if not get the 552 it shoots every thing and is a really sweet looking rifle. I am hunting for a used one right now.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:49 PM
jcw3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have used both in the field and for plinking. Over all both are great rifles and have there pros and cons.

Model 60...
Cheap and reliable. Its the kind of gun you can take out in bad weather and focus on hunting, instead of the condition of your rifle. I personally like the feel and balance of the Model 60, and actually prefer its small design. Down side for some is it is not the prettiest rifle around, but it is truly a work horse.

Remington 552...
These are some beautiful rifles and even though a little heavier, they are very well made. You can shot these things forever before having the clean them, and accuracy is on par with most semi automatics. I personally HATE the action advance being on the left side. I originally thought it was a logical place for a right handed shooter, but I have jammed and/or busted my fingers on that thing for than once. I honestly think it broke the tip of my thumb one time. For long armed shooters, it would not be a issue, but for short armed guys, beware.

Thompson Classic...
The Thompson is a excellent value that can be had for a great price. Its truly a Classic as the name of the rifle states. Mine has accuracy that many bolt actions can not reproduce, and the rifle is very solidly built. The design is very balanced and is truly a squirrel hunters dream. The clip design is its weakest link, but is fully functional, I personally just fell it is much longer than needs to be. The 10 shot clip is about the size of what other manufactures 15 shot clips are.

If you are looking for a Wall Hanger that will only get shot a few times a year, the 552 is a great rifle. If looks is not a big factor, and you are looking for a cheap rifle that will shot with pther semi's of greater value, the little Model 60 is it. If you are looking for a accurate rifle for target shooting and field work, that is made to last a life time and dont mind spending 300-400 on a decent rifle, then save your money and get the Thompson. It has one of the best warranties in the industry and has the accuracy to turn heads.

Last edited by jcw3; 08-31-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 PM
DanTSX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
552 is a NICE rifle. The big advantage is that it is a full-size stock. Analagous to the Marlin 39A size -Vs- the 9422 or BLR size.

They are also great looking and a true classic. I have one on my "to own" list. Not sure when, as priorities change depending what mood i'm in and what gun gets my attention at the moment .

It is the price of the 552 sold new that would get me. It is kind of pricey. Of course, you get what you pay for, but when I get my 552, it is probably going to be when I find a killer deal on a used one. I don't think I could stomach buying one new. I'd buy a new M60 any day, even if it were not payday.

I'll make an assumption that if you are comparing the 552 to the model 60, that you are probably not comparing a $500 gun to a $130 gun, but probably one of the more expensive model 60 variants such as the Stainless Steel or maybe even the Stainless with laminated stock? Even fully done-up, an M60 in stainless with the laminate or CF stock is no more than $350, a substantial difference from the 552.

If I may recommend another nice semi auto .22 in that price range...... Have you considered a Browning Auto take-down? Another classic design that, in it's most basic grade, is priced neck and neck with the 552, and it is not made of aluminum like the 552, but rather steel and nicely blued. Yet it is lightweight, reliable, and points just as easily as the 552, if not better.

Either way, you win! Not a bad apple in the bunch