Clem's Long Range Sihouette Simulator Game - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Clem's Long Range Sihouette Simulator Game

Rules slightly revised, changes in bold.

This is an exercise I do at the range with my .22s from time to time. I think it might make a fun game.

This is a 50 yard low-power scope/irons game. You are penalized for scope power, a perfect score is ONLY POSSIBLE if shot with irons, so theres no way I can do that. This is intended to be an equalizer for those using irons and scopes. And I believe will be a game so challenging you can keep shooting it to try to hone your skills and raise your score.

If you only have access to a 25y range, you can reduce the size of the target by 50%. See page 4 for reduced size targets if needed

The target is a small silhouette you preferably download from here:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2359...-43-pm-5k?da=y

You can change the color of the targets to any color that helps you see them better.

Rules:
-Must be shot at 50 yards.

-3 shots only on the target. This sihouette is only in the upper quarter of the page, so if you want to fold it or cut it in order to fit more silhouettes up while you are playing the game; that is fine. Any hits around the outside of the silhouette will be considered fliers and will disqualify that target. A shot will be considered a hit if the grease mark breaks the edge of the silhouette.

-All 3 hits must be on the silhouette to qualify. Qualifying and Scoring are 2 different things. It is possible to qualify but have a very low score because of the scope power point reduction.

-Can use iron sights or scope.

-Can shoot from bags, a front rest and a separate rear bag, prone, sitting at a table, standing or whatever works for you. NO BENCHRESTS or FIXTURES that hold the rifle without the shooter touching anything but the trigger! This is a game intended to promote shooter skill. To me a benchrest/fixture takes the human factor out.

-Rifles: Not only do i want rifles that meet the rules of superstock bolt: varmint and sporter to play, but i think it would also be a fun game for superstock semi autos as well.

-This is now a per rifle contest, so your highest score for each rifle will be posted.

-Reshoots are allowed, just please put RS by that submission and note the differences in the reshoot from the other shoot (different rifle, scope, power, load, ect.)

-Ammo: Absolutely no restrictions on ammo. You can use tenex or the cheapest stuff at walmart. Any caliber that qualifies for superstock is acceptable. Just tell us what caliber it is if its not a .22lr. If you dont tell me what caliber it is ill assume its a .22 long rifle.

SCORING:

3 shots on the sihouette, but none touching = 80 points.

3 shots on the sihouette, with 2 of the rounds touching = 90 points.

3 shots on the silhouette, with all 3 rounds touching =100 points.

-----------------------------------------------------

now take whatever points you have above and subtract:

0 points for use of iron sights or a 1.0x power scope.

Any power higher than 1.0x will be score deducted as follows:

2 points for every diopter of power you used to shoot your score. for instance:

If you are like me and have a 3-9 power scope set on 3 power: 3x2=6 points.

Or you have a 4.5-14 set on 4.5 power: 4.5x2=9 points.

It would even be possible for someone to shoot a high power scope, like a T36 and make a low score because of the magification multiplier reduction.

-------------------------------------------

Much like the other games if you shoot a qualifier just post a pic of your target and tell us with what rifle, modifications, scope and power or irons, and preferably what load you shot with.

I hope this will be a challenging game that many people can enjoy. The List will be below. Good Luck Pirates!

Last edited by Clem-E; 03-24-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Reserved for Qualifiers and Score:

Clem-E: CZ 452 Varmint, brooks kit, floated to lug, weaver 3-9x32 shot @ 3x, Eley Target, Caldwell Rock Jr. Front Rest and rabbit ear rear bag Score:94

Tony Mig: CZ 452 Trainer, Williams peep rear sight, Brooks trigger kit. Caldwell Rock DeLux front rest and rabbit ear rear bag, Aquila Golden Eagel standard velocity, CCI Green Tag & CMP HV Score:90

crpadiem: Vostok Ural, open sights, Winchester 333 bulk ammo(36gr HP), cheap Caldwell plastic rest and rear sandbag. Score:100 The first perfect score!

mschatterbox: CZ 452 american, unmodified, weaver 2.5-7x28 shot @ 2.5x, Eley Target, Caldwell Rock Jr. Front Rest and rabbit ear bag Score:95

midwest swiss Izhmash Biathlon Basic with factory OEM iron sights, CCI SV Score: 90

Dave_101 Vickers Martini with aperture sights, RWS Geco Score: 80

Maz Vickers Martini with aperture sights, RWS Geco Score: 100

Maz BRNO #4 with aperture sights, RWS Greco Score: 100

Last edited by Clem-E; 11-14-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
So here's my entry. Shot with my 452 varmint, with my 3-9x32 weaver on 3x. using Eley target.

100-(2x3)=94 points

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Interesting game.

I have two questions... when you say "no benchrests", are you referring to a specific style of front rest? Or are you talking about rifles?

Question 2 is less of a question and more of a thought. I think if you want to include semi-autos in the game you may need to start a second game in the Super Stock forum. I don't think we can "intermingle". It would be nice if we weren't segregated though.

I think this will be a fun game with my peep sighted Mossbergs. That is... if I can see that little dude at 50yrds!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
So here's my entry. Shot with my 452 varmint, with my 3-9x32 weaver on 3x. using Eley target.

100-(2x3)=94 points

nice shooting mang!!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"I have two questions... when you say "no benchrests", are you referring to a specific style of front rest? Or are you talking about rifles?"

From the way he laid out the "Rules", I would suspect that "Benchrest" would be defined as *NO* rear supporting bag or mechanical device (such as my Shooter's Ridge Shooters Rest/Vise).
Old 04-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
Interesting game.

I have two questions... when you say "no benchrests", are you referring to a specific style of front rest? Or are you talking about rifles?

Question 2 is less of a question and more of a thought. I think if you want to include semi-autos in the game you may need to start a second game in the Super Stock forum. I don't think we can "intermingle". It would be nice if we weren't segregated though.

I think this will be a fun game with my peep sighted Mossbergs. That is... if I can see that little dude at 50yrds!
I consider a self supporting front rest to be fine, just no full benchrests to support the rifle while someone pulls the trigger not touching the rifle. As long as its a rifle that fits in the superstock rules i consider it good. So I think by definition, a benchrest rifle would be out too.

The reason I gave a perfect score to irons is because I know of a handful of guys locally that can accomplish that goal with peep sights with more than 3 shots. Its do-able, just very difficult IMO. Those who can do it have my respect!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T191032 View Post
"I have two questions... when you say "no benchrests", are you referring to a specific style of front rest? Or are you talking about rifles?"

From the way he laid out the "Rules", I would suspect that "Benchrest" would be defined as *NO* rear supporting bag or mechanical device (such as my Shooter's Ridge Shooters Rest/Vise).
Thats exactly my goal. A separate front rest and rear bag is fine. I just think a fixture to hold the rifle would take the human aspect out of the game and I dont want that.

I also hope this will be a fun game for people with all types of setups. From a guy with a marlin model 60 and a 4x bushnell rimfire scope, to someone with a cooper or anschutz with high dollar glass. My thought process was for a wide variety of hardware to be able to be utilized and to be a game anyone can play and shoot a good score with if they have their scope/sight zero, their rifles prefered load, and their skill set dialed in.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
So if I use my 8-25x on 25 power... the best score I can get is (2x25)= 50 points.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
So if I use my 8-25x on 25 power... the best score I can get is (2x25)= 50 points.

Yes. Thus the equity and beauty of this game.

Besides, if you cant shoot this challenge at 8x you might want to make an appointment with an eye doctor.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
Yes. Thus the equity and beauty of this game.

Besides, if you cant shoot this challenge at 8x you might want to make an appointment with an eye doctor.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No time limit?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Nah, just 3 shots on a target. No measure shots, no measuring groups, no set amount of time to make the shots. You arent directly rewarded for a small grouping, but consistency in point of aim will help make the shots touch and for that there are extra points.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Hammer47
US Navy Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
87% (11)
What is the width and height of this target after printing? Mine is small enough that i am not sure I could see it at 50 yds. Measures 1 3/8 wide by 2 7/8 high.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Tony Mig
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure I'll see them either, but I'm sure as hell going to give it a try.......

I printed up 5 sheets of card stock with 4 targets per sheet, and hopefully next Saturday will bring with it some decent weather so I can go shooting.....

Me Likey Clem, I'll be shooting this with the 452 Trainer with the Williams peep sight......