Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Remman716

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
597 Care and Maintenance Video

The video you guys requested is finally up. I apologize for the long wait, my week off turned into a busy week off.

The video covers disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly, along with cleaning the barrel only. I also included a short stint on sling swivels for those who are curious about installing them.

Here is the link for ToxicSport's install of the guide rails https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=164010. It can also be found at the top of 597 forum (look for the sticky)

RM

P.S. Ryan reminded me of this, at the current time, there is no audio in this video. The reason for this is twofold: one, it was not my original intention to place a voice-over dub or music in the background, and two, I wanted to try and get this video out before the weekend. If there are several requests, I will record voice-over and re-upload the video.

Last edited by Remman716; 03-27-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:28 PM
*Ryan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nice
thanks

i found myself trying to turn up the volume the whole time
but then remmembered you only wanted to be a hand model

good vid tho, thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good job Remman, I'm sure you'll save some noob's hair pulling.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 06:30 PM
fstroupe
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to fstroupe
That's so cool. You did very well with the gloves on.

Your editing/effects are great. I really need to upgrade my movie-building skills. Just stuff I've never done, I never created a movie until last month, and the stuff I do is simple.

Last edited by fstroupe; 03-27-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 PM
titanium_frost
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
can i ask why you dont run a copper/brass brush through the barrel? is it because it wasnt dirty enough or some other reason?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanium_frost View Post
can i ask why you dont run a copper/brass brush through the barrel? is it because it wasnt dirty enough or some other reason?
There has been many "spirited" debates on RFC about cleaning. Some don't clean the bores for years. Some say no brush. Some say only when accuracy falls off. Some say bore snake and others the patch worm. Owners choice I say. It's takes roughly 1 shot per inch to season a clean 22 rf bore with wax/lube to get it back on it's game.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:36 PM
titanium_frost
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yeah, im still pretty new to actual firearms. i had BB guns growing up and went hunting with my uncle but it was his guns and he always cleaned them. i still remember what that old single shot 20 gauge felt like... anyway i wondered if i was doin something bad by using the brush every time i cleaned it which is every time i fire it. i usually put a couple hundred rounds through it when i do though. i used to have accuracy issues with the first shots but not recently. i figured it was just because it was below freezing and snow was blowing in my face! lol! oh sorry for the highjack, very nice video!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the bore is left uncleaned you have NO need to worry about rust as the wax is a great protecterant. Many the thread I've read where a 22 was found after many years of sitting and when cleaned up the bore was bright n shiny like new.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Remman716

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanium_frost View Post
I chose not to use a brush for two reasons: one, i have never used one on a .22 , second, i knew that different people have different ways of cleaning. I was trying to present a balanced view of how to break down and clean the 597 without upsetting people .

Also, for any new people who are curious what I used, it was Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe (Non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner works also) for spraying the lower receiver and bolt off, and CLP BreakFree for everything else. I did not make this a point in the video because I know that everyone has their own things and I didn't want to make the waters muddy (however, I will tell ya now ).

Also, Al is right, the wax is a good protectant against rust if it's not cleaned out. However, if you do clean the barrel and are going to put the rifle away for a while, make sure to apply a light coat of oil to protect it.

Last edited by Remman716; 03-27-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Mark in WI

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for taking the time!
Mark
Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remman716 View Post
I chose not to use a brush for two reasons: one, i have never used one on a .22 , second, i knew that different people have different ways of cleaning. I was trying to present a balanced view of how to break down and clean the 597 without upsetting people .

Also, for any new people who are curious what I used, it was Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe (Non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner works also) for spraying the lower receiver and bolt off, and CLP BreakFree for everything else. I did not make this a point in the video because I know that everyone has their own things and I didn't want to make the waters muddy (however, I will tell ya now ).

Also, Al is right, the wax is a good protectant against rust if it's not cleaned out. However, if you do clean the barrel and are going to put the rifle away for a while, make sure to apply a light coat of oil to protect it.
While we're on the subject: Do not use Rem oil for rust prevention, it sucks!
Here's an interesting test showing conclusive proof of what works and how well.
I used Rem oil for many years until an RFC member posted these results. http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to ToxicSports
Nice video.

With those gloves, I was waiting for you to make it turn it's head and cough.

Scott
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Remman716

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in WI View Post
Thanks for taking the time!
Mark
Your welcome. Welcome to RFC

Scott, you just made my night, i never thought of that.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sure hope you don't have bore scope vid coming now, Doc Remman.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Remman716

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Sure hope you don't have bore scope vid coming now, Doc Remman.
I think he's young enough to avoid that for the time being