Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 PM
RET
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ural Overhaul III

Noticeable dip in cheek piece.

Thinking about how to square stock belly with bore center line.

Belly shaved to run parallel with bore. Cut just short of grip cap area.

Top of comb shaved parallel to boreline. It is easy to see how much material was removed by someone. These guns typically have generous cheek piece thickness. rasping by someone was done to bring their face closer to the center of the sight picture. Good chance they had narrow eyes set in their face.

Optical illusions are easy to be had on buttstocks. Only by looking with the aide of tools can true angles be seen. Top and bottom of stock in line with the bore now.

View from the rear. It is easy to see toe out here.

Cast off seen here, after comb trimmed and squared.

Side views.

Recoil plate/pad ready to attach.

Center line established to show where cheek piece measurements are to be taken from. Cast off must be accounted for here. The center line nose of the comb must align with the rear stock screw. Black Dot on the grip area is the approx. center of the boreline.

Cutting is almost finished. Rebuilding ready to begin.

More to come.

ret

Last edited by RET; 03-06-2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: update links
Old 03-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Red Tornado

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Amazing. I'm just getting subscribed for round three. I'm really enjoying this. The step-by-step explanations are great. Thanks for sharing.
RT
Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cutting is almost finished. Rebuilding ready to begin.

I am ready for that stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
From now on there will be a bit of "jumping about"

as I work the various parts down. Lots of feeling, rasping and sanding.

Forearm with most of the epoxy sanded off. This had a good matching of the cut parts.

LH side

Look at the side of the stock at the bore line. It is very straight on the LH side.

Look at the dip in the RH side. (Light fuzzy area just ahead of the black tape at the bore line.)This dip will be removed. This dip was rasped into the rifle at some point in it's history. The stock should be straight between the receiver face and the end of the forearm (generally) I'll document the removal in the finishing stages.

72 degree cut to remove old cheek piece. Explanation:

I need to raise the comb/ cheek piece to the bore line level, to raise my eye level on the stock. Since I'll need to cut and inset this piece, I am going to make this a multi-step operation. First I cut a 72 degree slice from the top. 72 degrees is the amount needed to hold the stock at 90 degrees for the cut, when screwed to the slave board. I then screw a slave board to the top of the butt stock. This slave board serves as a holding piece while I align the saw to make the cheek piece removing cut.

Board is slave screwed to buttstock top , ready to cut. Saw cannot reach entire area to be removed. The remaining 1" is manually filed down and sanded ( not shown).

Most of this work will be lost in the sawdust pile, but I do not know exactly what I will need until I feel it. The work now ensures I will have enough material to work with in the end.

ret
Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Butt Stock with materials added

Various angles of desecration.

Gouge in the RH side is from clamping. This area will be reduced by 40% in depth, so gouge will be removed.

The next step is trimming the top and adding height.

ret
Old 03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Removing excess wood, adding comb height

Trimming excess oak from butt stock. Boring but necessary.

Better photo of dip in RH of forearm. Compare LH and RH.

Straightedge on RH side.

Straightedge on LH side.

Some of these details are not crucial, but they are important if you are interested on a professional outcome of your project.

A few more steps until complete.

1. Add first riser on comb. It must be forward as much as possible to ensure enough material to have a raked comb nose. Not enough material on rifle prior to adding this new material. Original stocks have more to work with than this one did.

2. Reduce thickness on RH but tstock, See phot #3 on this posting. All work to be done with a # 49 rasp and rat tail rasp.

3. Add second riser and profile, and shape buttstock

4. Cut butt stock to length.

5. Cutting rake on forend.

6. Port forearm.

7. Add QD swivel studs.

8. Sand.

9. Stipple.

10. Finish Wood.

ret
Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 PM
RET

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
First riser added

Nothing special about gluing wood together. Make sure nothing shifts during clamping by alternate tightening of clamps...each only slightly at a time. Do not be frugal with the adhesive. Spread all the way to the edge of the gluing area.

** CRUCIAL** ALWAYS maintain center lines. Mark the center of the stock channel with a marker by extending line the line through the centers of the front and rear stock screws Mark the stock comb and center line then maintain that line. Remark line as necessary.

Mark the pieces to be epoxied in place with center lines

Stock Belly. Notice where screw marks in center of photo. These do not need to be removed in this instance, as you see later

Top of stock. Find your marking points, draw line and ignore if appears to be centered. It must point directly at the channel dot on the wrist.

Mark the insertion piece across the top and sides.

Set piece in place, check for a solid fit with high spots.

Point the line AT the dot.

Center the rear (on the channel center in this case. 7/32 if you like to measure. )

Spread epoxy to the edges, on both pieces, set in place and screw clamps down as described above. CHECK FOR MOVEMENT OF THE ALIGNMENT.

More to come.

ret

Last edited by RET; 03-05-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Correct a figure.