Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:33 PM
lindertw
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Goldilocks

...this one is just right.

Not too long ago I made my first attempt at stock modding with project pip-squeak, mainly scaling down a factory stock for my little girl.

Not the best looking rifle at the range, but it made do for the time being. "E" took to her rifle pretty well, qualifying for a NSSF Junior USA Shooting Team patch during her first outing.

Needless to say, she's hooked

I know my limits when it comes to woodworking, so I took a chance and PM'd RFC member Hipshot and asked if he'd be interested in taking on a scaled down black tactical project. Got a PM today saying she's done and is en route. Here are a few teaser photos as sent by Hipshot. The plan is to leave it 'in-the-white' for the first range visit, and then we'll come up with a suitable paint job...

the layout:

alongside a full size tactical stock:

alongside a standard carbine stock:

close up of finger grooves and end cap treatment:

snap just before being boxed up for shipment:

What a treat to work with Hipshot, he took my idea and tweaked it into something phenomenal - thank you Hipshot

I'll post more pics as the build comes together...

Last edited by lindertw; 01-23-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:37 PM
slowhanddd

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Looks like a good plan coming together.Slow
Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 PM
ChargerTom
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's a great looking stock. It should be nice for her to shoot something more her size.

I own two of Hipshot's stocks, and I can tell you ... nothing shoots like a rifle with one of his stocks on it.

Congrats to you and your daughter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 AM
wdtorque
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Lindertw, good going. Way to get your family involved and particapting. Nice looking Hipshot stock you got coming too, love seeing his work posted, unique and well done. Keep us updated with painting, groups, and progress.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 AM
GREEN607
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (117)
I read your other thread on the "pipsqueek" rifle .....making the stock and all. Great idea and it's so good to see a dad doing things like this with the daughter.

Cudos to her on the fine shooting! That's a great target. You must be very proud....

Hipshot is like a custom knifemaker, where stocks are concerned. He did a great job on that one for you. Keep us posted with pics, once painted and all. - Lee
Old 01-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Hipshot
Law Enforcement Officer UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
My pleasure Tom and my hat is certainly off to you for getting your daughter involved in the shooting sports.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:47 AM
sld225
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
looks great! whats your next step with the stock?
Old 01-24-2009, 11:16 AM
lindertw
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sld225 View Post
looks great! whats your next step with the stock?
It should get here early this week, and prior to paint we'll head to the range to make sure everything fits just right. Then she gets to decide how we'll paint it.

Initially the plan was to go with a digital camo scheme with colors of her choosing, but she doesn't seem as enthusiastic about it now. I think she'll want to go another route, so I'll leave it up to her

After paint, we'll make sure it gets used a lot. I try to get her to the range at least once per week (extracurricular activity schedule permitting).

For the time being the config will be the custom stock along with a DSP barreled action and TSR100 iron sights. My initial plan was to train her to shoot well with irons before moving on to either red-dot, or a magnified optic. She's showing promise with irons so she may get a scope before too long (I'll mirror the mock-up build that Hipshot showed in the last photo above).

Last edited by lindertw; 01-24-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:35 PM
lindertw
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"goldilocks" arrived in the mail today:

she's anxious to try it out at the range this weekend - then it's on to paint!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Hipshot does it again...what a great guy!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 PM
lindertw
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was able to hit the range tonight to give goldilocks a dry run before I take my daughter this weekend.... this stock R-O-C-K-S. It feels just like an AR15 with the stock collapsed all the way, great little offhand shooter

I tried my hand at 50yds tonight, and this was one of the better groups (w/irons from rest):

"E" is going to get a kick out of this for sure - I'll post an update this weekend after she gets a chance to run it
Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 PM
F117Aguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't wait to see the results when she shoots it! Then you need to have her pick the color for the stock and have her help you.. then she will really feel its "HER" rifle.

Depending on the outcome of some recent work related changes.. I just MIGHT have to get Hipshot to help me out building one for my 10 yr old!
Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Sam 8
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow!

First time I've seen one of these.
Hipshot, you do very nice work.

Linder, X2 on the kudos, you are making some great memories with your daughter and teaching her a valuable skill at the same time.
It doesn't get much better than that.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:35 PM
lindertw
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"E" got to try her new stock today, and I think she took to it pretty well. One magazine's worth when I could get her to slow down (shot from rest):

There were lots of kids at the range today, which I love to see - one girl even came over to try it out.

We've stripped everything down and it's time for paint. She decided to go with a transparent purple (Krylon X-Metal) over a silver base coat. We experimented a little bit on the original cut-down stock last night:

Depending on the number of coats, the purple can be light or dark - we'll see what we end up with. I'm thinking two coats of purple, and then wet sand, followed by two more coats and then top it off with lots of clear coat. "E" has a hard time with the spray can, so she gets to do the silver metallic base coat and then the clear; I'll spray the purple (else it might end up a little blotchy).

I'm going to swap out the hard plastic buttplate for a rubber one for the time being, she said on the drive home her shoulder was starting to hurt a little bit. Could be a combination of the flat buttplate, or how hard she pulls the stock into her shoulder (I doubt the recoil is bothering her that much).

I can't thank you enough Hipshot - "E" is a happy little camper
Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Hipshot
Law Enforcement Officer UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindertw View Post
"E" got to try her new stock today, and I think she took to it pretty well............... "E" is a happy little camper
I like happy little campers. Have fun "E".