Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:51 PM
davemustaine

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Biathlon Basic...scary accurate.

I was shooting my new BB this evening. It was doing incredibly well with Federal Auto Match, so I decided I would try my hand at a USBR target I had brought along to shoot for the 25yd Factory Sporter match. I shot a 245-11x. I was happy with that, because this is on the second time I had shot one of these targets. This was with Federal Auto Match and a cheap A1Optics 6x24x50 scope set at 16x. I was quite surprised. I have to get some more Auto Match. Man, she's a shooter. I'm getting bases installed on my URAL, I was thinking it would be the goto benchrest gun, but this BB may give it a run for the money!

Conversely, I shot a 231-3x with my new Sako Quad and CCI Blazers. It just can't keep up with the BB right now. Of course I'm only test bulk ammo now, but the Quad seems to be more picky.

Last edited by davemustaine; 09-15-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pictures

Dude,

Post the targets.

More pictures of you rifle at the range.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:39 AM
davemustaine

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I left the target with my dad - he wanted to show his buddies. I think he is excited because he has yet to shoot his new BB because he was waiting for his scope to come in. Has has a cabin on our farm where we shoot out the window of a shed. We made a bench that is on a hinge that can fold down when we are not shooting. It's not real pretty, but it is solid and effective. My dad is going to think I'm crazy if I go up there and start taking pictures of his place. Maybe this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 11:40 AM
davemustaine

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
OK, here is a target I just shot during my lunch break - one of the benefits of working from home on the computer.Its the USBR inner bull on cardstock paper, so nothing official, but you see what the BB is capable of at 25yds. There are alot of 10's there. 30 shots, with Auto Match.

Nothing to do with shooting, but here is one of my other hobbies. All from this summer - I never reset the date on the camera.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:48 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love those pic. Dave
Ya can't beat target pics + fish pics.
Do you eat those big boys ???

The BB is a accurate rifle & not to fussy about ammo.
Thats also a nice score you posted in the 25 yard factory class.

Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 09-16-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:19 PM
davemustaine

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks Swiss. With the way the BB shoots, it has made me a little disappointed with the Sako Quad I just bought, just because the Quad was about $100 more. I will keep after the Quad though and see if I can get it up the the BB's level.

In regards to the Shoveheads, I release them all. I doubt my freezer would hold all of that. There is 338 lbs of fish there. The biggest was 57lbs. I would like to butcher one of the bigger ones next year. I just can't hardly bring myself to kill one. I would rather they get bigger and have a chance at catching them again. I do have a freezer full of smaller channel cats though.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would think the smaller channel cats would be better eating.
I have caught a few in my life & I think the channel cat is the best
looking fish in the cat fish family

The BB really shines as a small game rifle.

I used CCI St. V as the ammo with the bullet tips cut off to make my own
wad cutters.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:13 PM
davemustaine

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Nice. I've got to get in the woods and thin out some squirrel as well. On the contrary, many say the Flathead is better tasting than the small Channel cats. It makes sense when you think about what each eats. The Channel will eat anything. I can catch all the channels I can eat on the nastiest stink bait you ever smelled - I try not to think about that when I'm eating them. On the other hand, the Flathead only eats live bait, mostly sunfish. All of those in the pics were caught on large live bluegill and a few on 7" goldfish. I did butcher a 35lb Flathead about eight years ago. I grilled it at a party. I never told anyone what it was, but they were all going on about how the fish was just great. Matter of fact, they went through it so fast, I never got to sample it.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:23 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (36)
Question ok I'm sold on the BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemustaine View Post
I was shooting my new BB this evening. It was doing incredibly well with Federal Auto Match, so I decided I would try my hand at a USBR target I had brought along to shoot for the 25yd Factory Sporter match. I shot a 245-11x. I was happy with that, because this is on the second time I had shot one of these targets. This was with Federal Auto Match and a cheap A1Optics 6x24x50 scope set at 16x. I was quite surprised. I have to get some more Auto Match. Man, she's a shooter. I'm getting bases installed on my URAL, I was thinking it would be the goto benchrest gun, but this BB may give it a run for the money!

Conversely, I shot a 231-3x with my new Sako Quad and CCI Blazers. It just can't keep up with the BB right now. Of course I'm only test bulk ammo now, but the Quad seems to be more picky.
Ok, I'm ready to order a BB. What kind of scope base did you use on the rifle? I understand that the BB has a peep and globe sight on it?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:31 PM
davemustaine

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The BB does not come with sights. I used the Weaver Quad Lock rings below.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...315&t=11082005

Here is about the best price on a BB right now.
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/SAI-22LR.aspx
Old 09-16-2008, 04:07 PM
nsl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Grandpa used to run trotlines before he got too old,and flatheads were the best tasting catfish.They don't have that mud stripe in them that the channels and blues have.Oh,I do have two BB's,one of which is still in the box,and yes,mine shoots good.The only problem I have with them is that some rings will not fit the rail.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemustaine
The BB does not come with sights. I used the Weaver Quad Lock rings below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsl View Post
The only problem I have with them is that some rings will not fit the rail.
I had the same problem with mine--I couldn't get the Weaver Quad Locks to fit! Hmm... I had to switch to B-Squares.