CM-2 is here ... VOSTOK Ural, Sights, and Ammunition - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:15 PM
ewald

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CM-2 is here.

Whawhoooooo. My FFL just called and the CM-2 I ordered last week is in Guess who is leaving work early today?? I asked the guy that called what does it look like? He replied "an old russian rifle" said they removed the rear sight for shipping but it is in the package. Can't wait.

Last edited by aom22; 10-21-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Restore Original Title
Old 09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is the front sight removable or did he mean to say the rear sight was removed for shipping?

Congrats on your rifle and I hope it's a nice one.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Rockbuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, let us know... inquiring minds want pictures!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
ewald

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think he said the rear was removed for shipping.

Pictures?? Absolutly, are you kidding me?? Just love taking gun pics and posting them, too bad I'm not the greatest photographer.

I'm having trouble concentrating at the moment.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:09 PM
motohead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
Is the front sight removable or did he mean to say the rear sight was removed for shipping?

Congrats on your rifle and I hope it's a nice one.
And for those that may want to remove the front sight, take the threaded thing off the front that holds the aperture. There should be a hole in the tube front/top. There's a set screw in there. It might take some persuasion, but that's how they come off. Thanks to "viper225" for that tip.

Also, congrats on the Vostok. I think you'll be surprised!

moto
Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 PM
harris hawk
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewald View Post
Whawhoooooo. My FFL just called and the CM-2 I ordered last week is in Guess who is leaving work early today?? I asked the guy that called what does it look like? He replied "an old russian rifle" said they removed the front sight for shipping but it is in the package. Can't wait.
Is it a boy, or a girl? I was really stoked when my babies came in. You'll be even more excited after you shoot it!
Michael
Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
It better not be nicer than mine or I'll be ticked off!

Ok, I'm kidding; hope it's a nice one!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:11 PM
ewald

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, keep ur britches on, just got home and took some pics before I came in da house. This is one UGLY gun. Gots some grease on it too. The top says "Made in USSR, "VOSTOK" YPA^ " Ser# M-1108. And besides being UGLY it is also HEAVY.

Gib me a few minutes and I will download some photos.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 PM
galland1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The bore on mine was totally filled with grease.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 PM
JimMc42

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
good lookin' now

Mine was so ugly my wife laughed and said, "bet you won't take that to the range and let your friends see it! Ugliest gun I ever saw!".

Now, after stripping, just a little filling and sanding, several coats of wiping stain/sealer (wood would not take stain well), and 5 coats of Wipe On Polly, it looks wonderful. With the 8.5 X 25 Mueller, it shoots less the .250 c to c groups with regularly, but not every time. It is not very ammo sensitive. Federal 510s sorted by rim thickness shoot excellently. The high dollar target stuff shoots a little better, but the best thing about the high dollar target stuff is that it is more consistent - no fliers. Hope yours shoots as good or better than mine. You will love the gun. It a "best buy" IMHO.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:20 PM
harris hawk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Ok, keep ur britches on, just got home and took some pics before I came in da house. This is one UGLY gun. Gots some grease on it too. The top says "Made in USSR, "VOSTOK" YPA^ " Ser# M-1108. And besides being UGLY it is also HEAVY.

Gib me a few minutes and I will download some photos.
I guess now would be a good time to share my method for cleaning these old milsurp type rifles that are literally soaked in cosmoline(that's the grease). I completely disassemble the rifle(I didn't do the bolt on this rifle), and soak them in common mineral spirits. I use several plastic vats/tubs that you can get at Lowes, or Home Depot to soak them in. After letting the parts(not the wood)soak for hours, I come back with several old paint brushes and work the real hard to get places with them. Then I'll wipe the mineral spirits off of the parts, blow them off with compressed air, clean some more, inspect them, oil/lube them, and reassemble. I go through this procedure with all of my rifles, and really IS necessary on milsurp rifles such as these rifles, as that's how the Russians kept these babies for soooo long in storage, before we got them. I think these rifles are beautiful. You know beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Michael
Old 09-11-2008, 09:21 PM
ewald

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And the trigger is just breath on it nice.

The stock bolts are loose, need to tighten them up but will prolly take the action out and clean er up first.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:29 PM
harris hawk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
And the trigger is just breath on it nice.
The stock bolts are loose, need to tighten them up but will prolly take the action out and clean er up first.
You did good grasshopper, you scored a Ural! Read my previous post about cleaning these rifles, as I believe it's very important to do this before firing the rifle. Also, could you please post a pic of the rear sight aperture on your rifle.
Michael
Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
ewald, those are nice pictures. I don't see anything wrong with that rifle at all for $300. In fact, when I pick mine up tomorrow I'll let you know if you got mine by mistake and we can swap....... OK?

Seriously, that looks to be one very nice rifle and should shoot nice ragged little holes.

I hope mine is as nice!

P.S., Looking at the open action, I don't see a loading tray. Is it missing or was it made without one? Or is it there and I'm not seeing it? Do the cartridges feed OK or do you have to insert each round into the chamber by hand?

Last edited by doubs43; 09-11-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:42 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks very nice to me.
I can't wait for a range report.