CM-2 vs Annie ... Entry Russian VS Entry ANSCHÜTZ: For the Money - Fair Comparison? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
CM-2 vs Annie

Just thought I'd throw this in. Last week I got an Anschutz 1907, BRAND FREAKING NEW! OK, the CM-2 has a painted barrel and in a lot of ways the Anschutz is just reeking with being the schiznich. The trigger is so light you could just about blow on it to make the gun fire. BRAND NEW! The gun is super nice and does have an adjustable cheekpiece and length of pull.
At this point in the game when I get down in position and shoot I do not think the Annie is more accurate than the CM-2. Yes it is nicer, but I actually shoot better with the CM-2 and let me mention that I have a 1411 and I also shoot higher scores with the CM-2 than with the 1411.
Once I get the adjustable cheekpiece hardware installed on the CM-2 I am probably going to post here that the Russian is still much more comfortable on my face to shoot than the Annie. the cheek piece on the Annie is very angular, not rounded.

Last edited by aom22; 08-03-2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Restore Original Title
Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 PM
tom c.
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
boy talk about stirring it up.

i expect the pro annie mail to arrive
any minute.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:27 PM
mr_ouija
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Haha yea I can see that happening soon.

I just bought a CM-2 recently and while it shoots great, I don't have an Annie to compare against. I figure if I get serious about position shooting, I may be forced to upgrade if my skills get above a CM-2's capability, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 PM
doubs43

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's obvious that the "A" crowd hasn't zero'd in on this thread...... yet!

I just mounted a scope on my CM-2 today and took it to the range. At *57 yards I shot 10 shot groups with CCI Standard velocity and Wolf MT. I used NRA official 50 yard smallbore targets and both cartridges tore the X and 10 rings out. There's no way an accurate "X" count could be made on either. A "best guess" score would be 100-5x and 100-6x respectively.

At 102 yards, both cartridges shot groups that would easily stay inside of the two inch 10 ring on an official NRA 100 yard smallbore target.

My CM-2 will shoot and I see no reason to spend 2x or 3x what it cost me to own an Anschutz.

*Why 57 yards? Because that's the distance from the benches to the target holders on our range. They were installed many years ago.... apparently by someone who guessed at the correct distance.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Actually, someone that I shoot with was telling me a couple of weeks ago that he thought I was going to out shoot the CM-2 soon and that it would hold me back so I bit the bullet so to speak and coughed up the $1800 for the new Annie. I could have gotten a 1913 but I didn't want the extra 3 pounds which is all in the barrel, btw and that would put all that weight on my left hand which is being strangled by the sling. If you've never shot smallbore prone you have no idea how bad your left hand and wrist suffer from being in position under sling pressure for up to 20 minutes. My 1411 is as heavy as a 1913 so I knew I didn't want the weight. The 1907 is 10.5 lbs
Anyhow the point is not to slander Anschutz, it is a fabulous line of rifles and it isn't the #1 rifle of Olympic shooters for nothing. The point is that the CM-2 is a fantastic value and will hold it's own if the shooter is capable. I do not feel like I have inferior equipment when I'm shooting next to competitors with Annies.
Let me also put my 2 cents worth in on the trigger. My CM-2 trigger is at 20 oz's and I haven't missed a shot because my trigger wasn't down in the grams. A heavier trigger lets me see and feel what I'm doing and I think I get a more precise shot than I get with an ultra light trigger.
There is the commonly told story that when the shot breaks it should be a surprise. I disagree. I think the story is told that way for brand new shooters to keep them from trying to rush the trigger break. After all, after you have pulled the same trigger through a case of ammo the only excuse you can have for being surprised that the trigger broke is that you are mentally retarded and can't remember what your trigger feels like.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Doubs, shooting at 100 yds with a 22 lr is dramatically harder than shooting at 50, or even 57;o) You have a lot longer for wind and mirage to come into play.
So if you are holding the ten ring at 100 yds you are doing some very good shooting.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:58 AM
doubs43

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Charlotte, thanks. Here are some pictures from my range session Friday evening.

My CM-2 just set on the rest/bags for this picture.

Details of the B-Square adapter and the action open with a cartridge laying on the loading tray.

NRA 50 yard smallbore targets shot with CCI Standard Velocity cartridges at 57 yards. The top target was used to adjust the scope for POI. The bottom target has 10 shots in it.

Targets shot with Wolf Match-Target cartridges at 57 yards. Again, top target was for scope adjustment and bottom target has 10 shots in it.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:50 PM
tom c.
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
could it be you're shooting 50 meter targets?

might be wrong but we shoot meters and yards
and the 50 meter targets are a few yards farther away
Old 07-27-2008, 12:40 AM
doubs43

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom c. View Post
might be wrong but we shoot meters and yards
and the 50 meter targets are a few yards farther away
Nope. I'm using Official NRA 50 yard smallbore targets (A-23). I'm shooting 57 yards because whoever put up the target frames on our range installed them at 57 yards. Our 100 yard frames are at 102 yards. Strange, huh?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:34 AM
mr_ouija
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Besides that, 57 yards is just over 52 meters, and 102 yards is just over 93 meters. Apparently, someone had a hard time measuring when they set up your range Doubs! hehe
Old 07-27-2008, 05:28 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
I could have gotten a 1913 but I didn't want the extra 3 pounds which is all in the barrel, btw and that would put all that weight on my left hand which is being strangled by the sling. If you've never shot smallbore prone you have no idea how bad your left hand and wrist suffer from being in position under sling pressure for up to 20 minutes.

Actual pain the left wrist is not good when shooting prone, pain anywhere is bad. After breaking my wrist about six years ago, I've found the Kurt Thune Solid gloves help, the stiff rubber backing covers my wrist knuckle and cushioning it from the sling. I've found other gloves, especially those with an elasticated wrist not to be so comfortable.

Apologies If I'm preaching to the choir here. Do make sure that your left wrist is straight, with the rifle sitting over your palm, not the thumb or fingers. If your handstop is central in the rail, this may mean that it contacts behind the knuckle of your index finger. My handstop (an Anschutz 4752) can be twisted laterally, so it still sits in the web of my thumb. I find this more comfortable.

As for the 1907 cheekpiece, I've always found that Anschutz only want people with perfect cheekbones to use their rifles. I have a chubby face and need to re-shape the cheekpiece a little. I do like the square edge as I find it is easier to place under my cheekbone than a rounded cheekpiece. If you can the rifle, this can also affect the fit.

Tim
Old 07-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Charlotte

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Thanks for the heads up on the Kurt Thune glove, I'll try one. My current glove has 3 years worth of "character" if you get my drift, so I'm due for a refill. No need to apologize for offering information, I'll take everything I can get.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:38 AM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice thread here about the CM-2. I took a risk and bought a used one at cdnn like mr ouija did and it arrives here in IL sometime later this week. I wonder if anyone else besides mr ouija got one of these older USSR rifles and what the feeling is about the purchase after getting and shooting it.
Mr ouija's thread elsewhere on his CM-2 made me get one....
Old 07-27-2008, 11:47 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Ah the great Anschutz "surpress the competition program", amazing what the giant of Germany firearms is willing to do to hide their badly flawed rifles, other wise they'd never be able to win another match I''m sure. There is no doubt in my mind that the CM-2's are most excellent rifles and if they're up to it may well knock off the king (Anschutz) but fairy tales such as the previous merely make the tellers look well, less than intelligent. Since I own two Anschutz rifles as well as Sako Quads, CZ's, and dozens of other brands I must be a part of the conspiracy also, dang I love the cloak and dagger game, especially when played with the truly foolish!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:47 AM
tim slater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the Kurt Thune glove, I'll try one. My current glove has 3 years worth of "character" if you get my drift, so I'm due for a refill. No need to apologize for offering information, I'll take everything I can get.
That's ok. I forgot to mention handstop size and depth. I've found that a very shallow handstop (like the Anschutz 6225) can pinch the hand, and can also increase sling pressure on the wrist. A handstop that is the correct depth should reduce this. I had to wedge a chunk of pencil eraser between the top of my handstop and the stock to stop it pinching my thumb.

You body position and the fit of the jacket can also affect this. If the jacket is a little too large at the shoulders, the weight of the riflle through the sling can make the jacket sag, so you loose sling tension and your position flattens out, placing more pressure on your supporting hand. I've just replaced my jacket, as it had a tendency to do this.

If you have a very flat position this can also hurt the hand. In Britian the NSRA follows the ISSF rule that the forearm must be at a minimum angle of 30 degrees. Oddly the British NRA (think Palma shooting) require only a 4inch gap between hand and ground.