How do you like your model 96/17 or 96/22? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:41 PM
coloradogeezer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do you like your model 96/17 or 96/22?

Just curious how you guys like yours? What kind of accuracy do you get with each caliber and at what ranges?

I'm a big Hm2 fan and think this model could just be great fun for open-sight shooting on fast running rabbits! They did make one in Hm2 for awhile didn't they?

Regardless, I could see useful applications for either the 22 WMR or 17 HMR too.

Tell me about yours? Please, be specific. Caliber, accuracy at what range? Likes and dislikes about this model?

TIA
Old 05-26-2008, 06:47 PM
bob KK
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Have a 96-22. Never really shot at targets except to zero the scope. Good plinking gun. It's good to shoot at swinging targets at 50 yds. Easy to hit them offhand. TT Shooter did a trigger job on mine. About 2.5 lbs no creep or over travel. Don't like to drop the lever a little to remove the magazine. Good little gun. Thought about a 17 barrel for it but never did.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:02 PM
BLUElixir
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I have a 96/22lr and love it. They are kind of a sleeper in Rugers line-up. They are fun to modify and you can make them run different calibers. I don't remember Ruger making a hm2 version but it would be very easy to convert a 22lr version to the hm2. With slightly more work you could get the .17hmr/22mag action to shoot the hm2.

Try searching this forum for "lever" or just going page by page scanning for "96" in the title of th thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2008, 05:11 PM
cletus hungwell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i've got a magnum action, and love it...

it's about like it's 10/22 cousin......you can leave it stock for a great truck gun/plinker, or build whatever you want from there..... mine is working with any rimfire but the 5mm.... i've not really spent the time with all the calibers/ammo yet to give ya some hard numbers on how it groups, but it will hold atleast .15" for [email protected] in LR with the 1-9" volg, and seems to cut that near in half in .17hm2 volg..... the only .17hmr i've done with it seems to hold about like other's....1" or so @ 100yds...it's an octagon green mountain......i've not spent the time with the .22mag lilja barrel to tell you what it will do....

i did just a bare minimum to the action for a better trigger pull and so i could operate the lever with a flick of my fingers, and bedded the action...

these are great little hunting/working guns

cletus
Old 05-27-2008, 10:54 PM
azmbl22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I asked the Ruger rep about a 96/22 at the NRA convention cause my dealer couldn't order one... he told me they were being discontinued It's probably old news, but I was sure disappointed.