Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:05 AM
Kevin6q

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Silhouettes with the 7-4

Hello All,
Went to my first silhouette match on Sunday. The Pemi F&G club hosts 4 of these silo matches each season in addition to 5 run and shoot biathlons. Most of my shooting is at 50 meters and the silo targets are at 40, 50, 70, and 100 so I needed to make elevation changes and there is no provision to zero or check the sights at each station/change.

I went down 6 clicks for 40, back up 6 for 50, up an additional 16 for 70, and another 16 for 100. worked pretty good as I scored a 27 of 40 good enough for a "AA" rating. I actually knocked over a few more but took them out of order so they were not scored as hits. The entire family was there and my kids (4 and 7) also shot the match off a rest. Silo matches are shot offhand.

We were pressed for time to get to a family event so we were only able to have a go at one series. Another run through and I feel I could have broken into the 30s knowing what to expect.

My 7-4 didn't fit into any rifle class due to the shape of the stock being considered "non-standard" for hunting rifles so I was put into the catch-all "club class" for the shoot. Might have to get a NRA event legal rifle and head back to give it a go.

These matches were fun and I was amazed at how long it takes a bullet to travel 100 meters. Shooting at the rams (100 meters) there were times when I released the shot and saw nothing fall after the usual 50 meter time, figured I missed, rebolted and then saw the target fall. It was a bit weird. I was using Fiocchi 22m320 ammo so it took 1/3 second of travel time for the bullet to leave the muzzle, hit the target plus the time for the thing to spin and fall. Must have been near a full second for the event to take place.
The kids had fun too. My daughter shot 7 of 20 and my son was perfect by missing everything. Both had a great time and were able to split the targets which are set up 5 over 5 and taken in two distinct strings. She shot at the top 5 and he the bottom.

If you have the chance to shoot one of these matches I'd suggest you jump onto it and go have some fun. Essentially it was organized plinking (they're description not mine) and there are classes for just about anything you can legally bring to a range.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:45 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Biathlon Basic 7-2 KO w/Dioptrical Sighting Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin6q View Post
Might have to get a NRA event legal rifle and head back to give it a go.
This might be the Izhmash rifle you're looking for ... if you could find one.

Biathlon Basic 7-2 KO w/Dioptrical Sighting Device

I emailed M.T. Guns about the rifle.
They did not import this variation.

After thinking about it, it appears to be a Biathlon Basic 7-2
with the peep sights of a CM-2 installed.

Last edited by aom22; 05-26-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Insert Text & Image