Problems with IZH-35: Doubling, Tripling, Going Full-Auto and Slam Firing - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:09 PM
JimInNEPA
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Problems with IZH-35

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith? I am having problems with my
IZH-35 doubling, tripling, going full auto and slam firing.

As best I can tell, it seems to be a headspace issue; I collected the spent casings anytime it happened and there are no marks from the firing pin. I also stripped and cleaned the gun thoroughly and insured that the firing pin and channel were clean and free of debris, and it was not sticking.

I am shooting CCI Standard velocity the majority of the time, but have also tried Remington, and Eley with the same results.
The next thing I wanted to try is segregating cartridges based on rim thickness to see if that had any bearing on the problem.
Any suggestions?

-JD

Last edited by aom22; 04-16-2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Restore Original Title
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
bwave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Izh-35m

I had some problems with my IZH awhile back and had a tough time finding anyone with any parts. EAA doesn't have much of anything. It turned out that the piece that broke on mine didn't affect the performance and I can still shoot it. Initially, I thought it was going to be a safety issue, but wasn't.
If you do find a gunsmith who is good at fixing it, I would appreciate getting his name. I wish I could be of more help.
Dave
Old 04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
nthe10ring
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to nthe10ring
Doubling

I had one that doubled and sometimes went full auto, right out of the box on the first clip. My dealer sent it back to EAA and they had it back in about a week, never had another problem. It appears they headspace is very tight on these guns, they are designed for the steel case Russian ammo, and the rim is pretty thin. I was able to use about anything after the fix. Looks like the opened up the headspace a bit, took a few thou off the breech end. They are great pistols after you get this fixed, its a pretty common problem with them.

Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 05:15 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Parts, Accessories and Gunsmithing for IZH-35

D J Precision - Parts, Accessories, Gunsmith
IZH-35 Products
Custom IZH 35
Additional References:

DJ Precision.....still in business? - Does anyone know? YES, STILL IN BUSINESS

Part for IZH-35M Std Rapid Fire Pistol - Parts List/Diagram & Hex Screw Set

Where to buy IZH 35 parts: USA or Foreign Source of Spare Parts & Custom Work???

Any other IZH 35M owners here? Fixing-Up the Izhmash Rapid Fire Pistol

Last edited by aom22; 04-16-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Add Link
Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 PM
AlexLand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Headspace IZH-35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthe10ring View Post
Looks like the opened up the headspace a bit, took a few thou off the breech end.
Jerry
Jerry, My IZH-35 also fires in auto. Are you sure that they took material off the breach end? This may not increase the headspace. Don't you have to deepen the rim hole in the bolt, instead? I gave my IZH to a local gunsmith but I am not sure he knows where the problem is. Thanks for advice. Alex
Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IZH-35 Doubling

This problem has been addressed in our forum (Rim Fire Central).
Researching the IZH-35 threads/posts will uncover some information
related to your pistols problem.

Also, I would recommend you post your question at a more specialized forum.

This problem is not uncommon with IZH-35 pistols.
If you search the following forum you may find some information
that may help you diagnose the problem.

Olympic Pistol

Last edited by aom22; 04-16-2008 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Additional Text
Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 PM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TargetTalk Search: Doubling

Search Query : Doubling
IZH35M, Doubles and Slam-fires

IZH 35M, Firing PIN too loose?
Baikal 35m
Usage life of IZH35M?
IZH 35m
Just got my IZH 35 back from EAA
IZH 35 Problems
IZH 35M
Baikla IZH 35 M

Last edited by aom22; 04-22-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Add Link
Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
aom22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IZH's doubling

Firing Pin Modification

Quote:
IZH35 FIX

We have had some problem with the IZH's doubling...over 20 of our club members have purchased these, so we have some experience. This problem has varied from one double for every 50 rounds to the extreme of empting the mag practically every time.

We have heard that some bolt faces may have case head recesses at the wrong dimensions, but we haven't seen that problem in our group. After much testing and tinkering, we have determined the most likely problem is "rebound firing" by the inertial firing pin (no spring). The Russians have ground a sharp point on the lower portion of the firing pin which can strike the case head with just enough force to set it off at the moment of fully chambering the round....the sharp point may be necessary to fire the steel case practice ammo used in Russia. This sharp point can be safety ground off and on many of the firing pins the entire knife edge that strikes the case can be ground back slightly and still get crushing strikes....these firing pins are not perfectly dimensioned.Also, the firing pin retaining rod seems to be a little soft on many....the rod deforms after a while...and it is worthwhile to replace the rod with a harder one (drill rod) as long as you are there. When that is done, and since the retaining rod actually limits the forward travel of the firing pin, one can reduce the metal on the upper nose of the firing pin until it just touches the metal above the chamber at full forward position with no case in the chamber...so it does not damage the metal above the chamber during dry firing.

Our original test gun has now fired over 5,000 rounds without recurrance of the doubling problem.

Of course these are just amateur suggestions and neither the organization nor the author assumes any responsibility if these ideas are used. If you work on your own equipment you assume all responsibility and resulting liability.

Last edited by aom22; 04-22-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Quote