Omega trigger job? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 PM
BLUE72CAMARO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Omega trigger job?

I just bought a TC Omega 50 cal. for deer hunting next year and so far I really like the gun but I was wondering if any of you guys know a way to lighten the pull of the trigger on this thing! I guess my rimfires have spoiled me when it comes to light triggers.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 AM
BLUE72CAMARO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 AM
emb824

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GREAT QUESTION!!!

I bought one about 4 years ago and have taken many deer with it (including a 153" buck this year ). The first two deer I took were at 200 yds (per my range finder). A lighter trigger would be great.

If anyone can weigh in on this, we would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 05:54 PM
torythebird

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You may want to place a trigger shoe on it and it will evenly make the pull lighter. Do a google search and try to find a machinist or smith who makes one.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am not familiar with this exact gun but all trigger systems have trigger return springs and sear springs. Lighter springs reduce the trigger pull. An easy way is to buy lighter springs but if they are not available then clipping a coil or two off the existing springs will lighten the pull. But you must do it in steps, one coil at a time, then test it with a trigger gage. Lyman makes a really nice digital one and RCBS makes a spring one (similar to a fish gage but with calibrations from about one pound to about 6 or 8 pounds and a hook shaped to grab the trigger as your finger might).

The sear spring must be strong enough for correct operation of the trigger system but not so strong as to put undue force on the rest of the system. The biggest help is gained by reducing the trigger return spring. But for a hunting gun you must keep the trigger pull force above about 3 pounds for safety reasons. Its not good to shoot yourself or you buddy when you bump your gun while hunting and the thing has such a hair tirgger it goes off by itself!

LDBennett
Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 PM
BLUE72CAMARO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I am no gun smith so bear with me on this one. There are only two springs in this trigger assembly one that supplies the force to move the hammer forward to fire the weapon and another the pulls forward on the trigger to hold it in position, I can hold the hammer back by hand to take all pressure off the trigger but the amount of pressure to pull it does not change!

Also the springs are not a shape that can be trimmed as they are a coil with a straight piece coming off of the ends.

Heres a link to the manual on page 22 shows the 2 positions of the trigger and how it works.
http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals...der_Manual.pdf
I cant see how the trigger can be lightened with out a custom spring!

Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:14 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BLUE72CAMARO:

The front spring (or the forward leg ??) is the return spring for the trigger. The rear spring is the hammer spring. The sear surface is part of the trigger itself. This approach is like a Colt Single Action Army but TC has added the safety feature that lets the trigger overtravel to the rear to block the hammer from touching the cap.

Anyway, the way to reduce springs like these is to remove them and hyper extend them beyond their normal travel and they will take a new set reducing the preload the spring puts on the mechanism. Just be sure to hyper extend them the right way to reduce the force on the mechanism. It is trial and error to get to acceptable and reliable results.

I would adjust the return spring part to be able to relaibly operate the trigger in return and maybe adjust the hammer spring part to slightly reduce the hammer force. But here you want to be carefull as you need a minimal level of hammer force to set off the cap (primer).

Hope this helps.

LDBennett
Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 AM
cw-op

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i dont know if he omega is like the g2 or the encore but if it is there is a very easy fix for it.

if it is the same system remover the forearm the stock. take out the trigger guard screw it will come off, then remove the pin holding the trigger in. now look down inside you will see a L spring bend it back 2 or 3 times put it back together and test fire it.

if not light enough do it all over again. again i dont know if this applies to your rifle or not but bet they are real close.

there is a post here to do this

bob
Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM
BLUE72CAMARO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw-op View Post
i dont know if he omega is like the g2 or the encore but if it is there is a very easy fix for it.

if it is the same system remover the forearm the stock. take out the trigger guard screw it will come off, then remove the pin holding the trigger in. now look down inside you will see a L spring bend it back 2 or 3 times put it back together and test fire it.

if not light enough do it all over again. again i dont know if this applies to your rifle or not but bet they are real close.

there is a post here to do this

bob

Bob, the trigger assembly on the omega is unique to it as it pivots down out of the bottom of the stock to open the breech up on the gun. Check out the link above and you will see what I mean.

LDBENNETT, So I can pull the spring out and just flex it a few times to permanently bend the spring some to give me a lighter trigger. I didnt think of this, now I have a weekend project!!! I didnt realize the spring would deform that easy!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-29-2008, 12:06 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Matt:

I didn't say it easily bent to the new shape but almost any spring can be deformed if you put enough force on it. These "hairpin" springs actually do deform and take a new set pretty easily. They are the modern spring, used most often in modern designs. They conserve space and reduce machining (for coil spring cups) and extra parts (like spring guides). They just kind of wrap around parts and push on existing surfaces.

Good luck. But keep the gun safe!

LDBennett
Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
BLUE72CAMARO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah I will keep it safe but with it being a muzzle loader the trigger will never be cocked unless I am on target since the gun does not have any other safety on it!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:45 PM
BLUE72CAMARO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LDBennett, I just wanted to thank you again! I just got done working on the trigger and it is now in the 2 1/2 to 3lb range! No chance of an accidental discharge as you have to put a noticable force on it but not nearly as heavy as from the factory.

For anyone doing this what I did was I seperated the trigger assembly from the barrel. Then I removed the trigger guard from the trigger assembly. The trigger spring rests against the pin that holds the upper portion of the action link. I removed this pin which let spring loose. Then I pivoted the spring around and hooked the one side on the back of the trigger that would normally hook on the trigger up inside the housing. THis will require preloading the spring some against the small pin at the back of the housing. Next I took a screw driver to pry the other end of the spring off of the pin and then grabbed with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then pull this part of the spring back past the end that is hooked to the spring, when you think you have it bent let it go and see if it is still tight against the pin in the back or not. Mine was a little loose between the trigger and pin when I reassembled it!