Romanian M1969 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:49 PM
STBE Harris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Now Central Texas who turned on the heat?
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Romanian M1969

Well I got me one today to go with my new CZ, why, well the price was right, I got to pick from 3 and hey I always like a new toy and its Christmas. Darn thing, can't decide if I like it or not. Shot 1.1 14 shot and .822 8 shot group at 50 yds open sites. That was good as the ammo was WW from 18 years ago of unknown provenance and type. It didnt like some new WW super X 2"+ grp. The bad thing was it didnt feed from the clip at all.[/B] Any suggestions? IT would mash the shell into the top of the chamber and distort it and jam. Is there a location to find out more about these rifles? I am going to order the manual from Paul Liska. I would like to know history who imports or imported them? C.A.I. in Utah? Are there clips availalble? Why is the gun made in Romania and the clip in Taiwan? Have these been imported for long? Etc. Etc. What kind of groups are you getting? I was told the top groove is not for scope mounting at the range is that true. Having enough trouble finding scope mounts for the CZ. Thanks for any information. STBE
Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 PM
STBE Harris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help!

The trigger on this Rommy is terrible anybody out there tried to lighten and improve the trigger even a little?????? Help!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 AM
brassburnz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The M1969's have been around for at least 5 years. The supply of original magazines dried up a few years ago. The mags from Taiwan are actually better than the originals.

I have one M1969 that was cleaned up and gone over by the previous owner. He polished the bolt so that if functions smoothly and reliably.

You can find a lot of information about the rifle on this forum.

Randy
NRA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 PM
STBE Harris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
EEK the trigger! M1969

Not finding any 69 Rommy trigger and action smoothing info on this forum like on the 10-22 and CZ forums. I guess I could take it upon myself to do some judicious polishing and spring tweaking. STBE
Old 12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
peeperx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via MSN to peeperx
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBE Harris View Post
Not finding any 69 Rommy trigger and action smoothing info on this forum like on the 10-22 and CZ forums. I guess I could take it upon myself to do some judicious polishing and spring tweaking. STBE
Hi! if you want to see how to fix the trigger on the m69 , go to colecting and shooting the surplus rife ,com they hasve a section in there on how to do a trigger job. peeperx
Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 AM
STBE Harris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rommy Trigger

peeperx

I spent 2 days looking over the military and surplus forum it is very interesting and informative had a great time but didnt see any specific on the trigger except one where the guy polished the surfaces. My friend now has these interesting little rifles but am out to help him figure out how to get a better trigger than what they have. I measured them and one broke at 5 3/4 and the other at 5 1/4 roughly as they seemed to be inconsistant according to the gauge and not my perception. I polished as much as I dared , and the surfaces were out of square sometimes by several .100 but I only smoothed some of the terrible tooling marks present on the contact surfaces and did not change angles even if terribly irregular. It changed the felt pull to a little smoother and by the gauge lessened weight by maybe 3/4 lb. Did I miss a big sticky or FAQ about the trigger as I am easily up to??
Old 01-02-2008, 01:46 PM
peeperx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
STBE Harris
Yes there is a way to fix the trigger on the m69 it's been a year or two sence i read it so it may be way back in the thread some were , basicaly he took a drill bit a little larger than the pins in the trigger housing. and drilled out the holes and then used the smooth portion of the same drill bit to make the new pins with, it took the slop out of the trigger and by polishing the pin it makes the trigger pull smother and lighter , more even if you will , I do not rember the size drill bit he said to use . sorry i cant be of more help at the time i was fixing up one of mine but did not have the wearwith all to do this on the one i had. peeperx
Old 01-02-2008, 07:03 PM
peeperx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
here is the triger job from this site

TPC Rating: 0% (0)

Romi Trigger Fix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAFFIE’s Trigger fix, 4/25/04

My Romi has a trigger that measured in excess of 7 lbs in the tech spec portion of a CMP Sporter match shot Saturday the 24th of April. The pull is hard and stiff and not at all like any of the other Romi’s. Decided to fix using previous instructions. Those instructions mention, ‘ears’, these are not ears at all but sleeves. Found that both the trigger and sear were sleeved. Removed the sleeves. Took both the trigger and sear to Westlake (Ace) hardware and tested all the bits in their wire gauge bit rack. Hanson Wire Gauge Bits fit the unsleeved holes. Hanson #15, 0.1800” for the sear and a Hanson #16 for the trigger. While at the hardware store I also purchased some mylar washers that fit the bit shanks, just in case.
I decided to go ‘sleeveless’ on this Romi. I want to test the use of quality, polished steel journal pins instead of the crude pin and sleeve arrangement. I think the entire trigger group can be made more stiff but responsive in this manner.
I got home and started work. First tapped out the trigger assembly pinholes for the tiny bit of additional diameter the new pins would need. Then I reversed the bits in the drill, that is, the sticking out and the cutting part in the drill chuck. Then coated the shank with Flitz and polished the inside and of the trigger and sear and at the same time the shank. Then cut the shank off with the Dremel tool to the correct pin length. You have to cut in the middle of the shank to avoid the stamped section of the metal with the bit size.
Then the trigger was reassembled on the new polished steel pin, journal. The size 16 bit still had a bit of ‘play’ in it. Tested the #18, it was tight but there was no play. The journal could turn in the hole and not the trigger on the pin. Cut two pins from the #18 shank, one for the trigger and one for the sear.
Got out my stones. This was the Romi I received that I believe was never issued or perhaps had a complete new trigger-housing group put in. The surfaces on the trigger and sear were very rough! Stone smooth all surfaces and then polished with the Dermel flat pad with Jewelers rouge. Also stoned but did not polish the bolt/sear contact surface. Used my super good grease on all of these parts and reassembled to test.
The sear had too much side-to-side play. I inserted one Mylar washer on each side and this stopped the play issue their. Tested outside rifle and found the pull greatly reduced. Reassemble rifle and test. Trigger pull is down 50% or more, very nice. Will get it weighted the next time I see my friend. I think the trigger itself may have too much play. Tonight I am going to insert Mylar washers between it and the housing body.
All of the old parts were kept. The original parts can be reinserted and the rifle restored to as purchased condition. The use of the polished journals is a marked improvement over the rough pin and sleeve arrangement!

This is a Second fix
Triggers
Well here is a cheap idea to help those triggers on the romanian .22's. I own a few of them and this trick worked on all..............disassemble the gun and inspect the "pin" that both the trigger and the "trigger hammer" pivot on. That is where the slop from side to side is...What I did was purchase 3 drill bits (each Romanian gun had a different pin size)...a number #27-#28-#29 numerical drill bit. Take the drill bit that is slightly larger then both the receiver "hole" and the trigger pivot "hole". (check BOTH before making your decision!) And also note; the trigger "hole" will be "barrel" shaped because of the side to side slop..you may want to go 1 size bigger drill bit number!!!! If you end up chipping or removeing the tiny shoulder on the trigger side of the hole, a small narrow washer on each side will fix this problem easly!

REMEMBER...if you only "shim" the sides of the trigger as discused in another message link-forum your only masking the real problem of the pivot holes being to sloppy!

Next drill out the receiver pin "hole" and drill out the trigger "hole". Do the same "trick" with the trigger "hammer" pivot.Next cut the drill bit you used to drill the holes with the same length as the pin you originally removed, (the shank of the drill bit obviously!)And polish the center of the new "pin" where the trigger will ride. You can get about 3-4 "new pins" out of a new drill bit! These bits can be obtain from any local "Tool Truck" (Mac I hope!), industrial supply house, or brownell's for about $1.50 each!

(You are getting the idea now!)

You must also becareful not to "mare" the drill bit with the drill chuck teeth!!! This process is definatly easier then trying to "shim" the trigger which is always a comprimise between binding and too loose! Next I did "lighten" the trigger spring by slightly "dog-legging" the trigger spring....polish both the trigger hammer and the bolt "tangs"(boy,where these crudly finished itmes!), and waaa---laaa---...........a 1 1/2-2 lb. trigger pull that really is crisp! Try this before going down the road to "building" a trigger...you will be really impressed!

I have many more tricks that I have done to my little romanian that has produced groupings of under .50" @50!
like....
recrowning the barrel...( a must do for a worn barrel end)
ammo recommondation.......
scope rings....
headspacing.....
Old 01-02-2008, 08:26 PM
STBE Harris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rommy Trigger

Peeperx

Thank you for your help!

STBE
Old 01-03-2008, 05:17 PM
peeperx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBE Harris View Post
Peeperx

Thank you for your help!

STBE
Ok I did not do this to mine but I did smooth up the triger and sear with some stones it still has a heavy pull but it's smooth and you can control it better did not feel up to trying this mabye when I get to feeling better and the basement is not so cold . my son in law has used it some and seemed to do alright with it . peeperx