Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:02 PM
JJFUNK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My 2-tone SuperStock Pistol build.

I have a 2-tone MKII 10" and while it is a great shooter, I've decided to clean it up properly and make it a better shooter and more personalized. I enjoy working on these little pistols, and figure that I may as well document this build, as a further way of enjoying what I am doing.

It started out like this, got it second-hand.

It is a little bit worn, mostly on the grip frame though, the barreled receiver looks pretty good.

Here I have started the tear down, and have started picking out some of the components to use on this build. I have about four pistols worth of parts, and have found that the best build-ups (at least for me) usually use hand picked parts to get the best feel out of one of my pistols.

I am going to start with polishing up the frame a bit. Will post picks as they get done.

JJ

Last edited by JJFUNK; 12-16-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:51 PM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to rigrat
Looks more like rehab to me than therapy, LOL. Be watching this one with much interest.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:47 PM
JJFUNK

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Well, worked most of the scratches out of the frame, and went ahead and decided to use blued parts on the stainless frame to really go along with the theme here. Tried to re-shape and polish the sear to VQ style, and failed. Trigger pull was very nice, and crisp, but when the bolt was racked with some gusto, the hammer was re-setting and then releasing when the bolt fell closed. Don't want a FA incident, so put another factory sear in for the time being. Put it back together for now, and am ordering a VQ sear tomorrow. Also going to put a marble front bead sight on it, and make a new rear sight blade out of some old saw-zall blades I have laying around. Ordered some special peices for a trigger concept that I am working on, and while I was at it got me some new hemostats on the dreaded [email protected]@@. I'm really enjoying doing this the fourth one up to be as fun to use as my other three. I know it can shoot, and maybe it will get taken out more often once I get done with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 09:04 PM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
JJ,

You might want to check this out if you haven't already. Gives a great how to on changing the MKII-MKIII sights to bead sights and even gives the parts numbers to order them from Brownells.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=318

The 10"er is looking good to but I think you need a blued trigger for a real good two tone effect.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:15 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
JJ,

looks like you are a ruger pistol mechanic, and you know what you are
doing. cant tell what is worse, a MKII or a 10/22, LOL, think i'll stick to the rifles,

rico....

Old 12-17-2007, 12:00 AM
JJFUNK

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigrat View Post
JJ,

You might want to check this out if you haven't already. Gives a great how to on changing the MKII-MKIII sights to bead sights and even gives the parts numbers to order them from Brownells.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=318

The 10"er is looking good to but I think you need a blued trigger for a real good two tone effect.
Yup, that is what I am trying out as far as the sights go.

As far as the trigger is concerned, I unfortunately think that it may end up gold. I found the bearings that I was looking for (I think) and they are golden in color. If that doesn't work then I am going to try to fashion a straight "pin" style trigger, which could be blued out easily enough. If neither of my "ideas" work though, I will probably try one of the Marvel triggers for this one, as I have yet to get one of them. I beleive that they have them in blued.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:18 AM
earthdragon090

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JJfunk
you seem to know your way around these pistol really well and I have a question for you ,I have a new MK III hunter ,will it have the pre travel adjustment on the trigger it says target on the receiver ,and will this kit for a MK II work in a MK III ?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...59&t=421116190
I looked and Midway doesn't seem to have a kit for the MK III ,but they do for MK III 22/45 witch would be the kit I need ? Or would I be better off with just the sear ? thanks for any help you can give
earth
Old 12-17-2007, 10:46 AM
JJFUNK

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Unfortunately, the answer is no on the first question. None of the factory models that I am aware of come with a pre-travel screw. I believe that all models except for the standards do come with the over-travel screw at least pre-tapped.

As far as the second question, Yes. In fact the VQ accurizer kit for the MKII is a pretty good deal all around especially for the MKIII. The sear is top notch, and lowers the trigger pull to about 2~2.5lbs. The trigger is drilled and tapped with externally adjustable pre and over-travel, and you get an MKII style hammer to get you one step closer to getting rid of the factory installed magazine disconnect assembly. The only thing that I would add to your order would be one of the following.

This first one is a factory style unit, and will complete the removal of the factory mounted magazine safety.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...883&t=11082005

These are both the same general thing, one in stainless and one in blued. These are made to be snug, and may require some fitting. However that is the purpose of these two kits, as when installed correctly, they help reduce creep caused by slop in factory parts.

Stainless: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...783&t=11082005
Blued: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...378&t=11082005

Happy trails, and if you haven't yet been there, check out Bullseye's sight http://guntalk-online.com/ for some great illustrated tear down and re-assembly help, and a ton of information about these pistols.

JJ
Old 12-17-2007, 11:25 AM
earthdragon090

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thank you very much sir parts are order and hopefully be here before the end of the week ...now just have to work up the nerve to tear it apart I was the same way when I did my first trigger job on a 10/22
and yes have bullseyes tear down walk trough saved to my desk top again thanks for the 411
earth
Old 12-18-2007, 07:26 AM
OpsMgr
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tagging this thread so I can stay up to speed with JJ's EXCELLENT information. Glad to have you in SuperStock, JJ!!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:39 PM
JJFUNK

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Ordered more parts today, another of the VQ sears, a few more MKII hammer bushings, the sights, another of the Ranch products mag releases, and some springs. Looking forward to getting this one up and running with all new goodies. Will post some pictures after the new stuff starts rolling in, and will document the trigger "build" especially if it works as well as I think it will. If all goes as planned it should be a finger insensitive design that won't respond to trigger "pushing" or trigger "dragging" to help keep shots from walking laterally.

Hope to be posting again soon, cause that will mean that the building has commenced.

JJ
Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 PM
earthdragon090

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sure sounds interesting JJ I will be waiting for your next post
earth
Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
dang it all,

with all of this info, makes me wanna get a ruger MK something or other, in a
month or two might just do that, good info here, and a big help,

13 days and a wake-up, lol,

rico....

Old 12-21-2007, 11:18 PM
JJFUNK

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quick update tonight. Got my "donor" trigger in the mail today, and just got home from a family dinner with some out of town relatives, and had a few moments to start "laying out" the design.

Donor trigger;

Pin aligned with an MKII factory trigger. You'd be surprised how many differences there are between the two.

Quick look at the cutting that will be going on tomorrow.

The idea on the trigger is to build a straight trigger, with micro bearings on the pin. Haven't seen one yet, and it just sounds logical, but you know what happens when you start trying to think logically and functional along with home-smithing all at once. Either works or turns into a pile of stuff that you'll never use.

Will keep posting updates as the work progresses. I was hoping to get more parts before the holidays, but oh well, at least once the cutting and prep work are done, and a pre-travel screw is installed, I will get to post a quick picture of the trigger "base" while I wait for the rest of the goodies to get here.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:53 AM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Can't wait to see how the trigger works out JJ. Heck can't wait to see how it's going to look either.