Buckmark rifle groups - What to expect with different ammo (PICS) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Little River
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buckmark rifle groups - What to expect with different ammo (PICS)

Just an illustration of how much the type of ammo can influence the size group you obtain.

If you're not satisfied with the groups you currently get keep trying different ammo. There's one out there your little BM likes!

Here are the details:
- Buckmark Rifle 18" Target Barrel
- Leupold/Gilmore 1X red dot
- Ten rounds (except Aguila Sniper Subsonic)
- 25 yds from the bench.
- Aiming point 1" black circle

Ammo types noted in picture are
- Aguila Sniper Subsonic 60 gr
- CCI Pistol Match ? gr
- CCI Stinger 32 gr
- Aguila SE 40 gr
- Federal Auto Match 40 gr
- CCI Velocitor Speer Gold Dot ? gr
- Aguila SE Subsonic 40 gr
- CCI Mini Mag 36 gr

The large center targer was shot off hand. Plenty of wobble I'm afraid.

The disappointing round was the Aguila Sniper Subsonic.

Three of the five key holed and I had to load each one one at a time as it would not cycle the gun. Did the same in my pistol. I saw no reason to fire ten rounds. Five told me what I needed to know.

The winners in this particular bunch were the Aguila SE Subsonic . . .

With 7 rounds touching although I occasionally had a failure to cycle

and the CCI Mini Mag . . .

with 8 rounds touching.

Usin Ayoob's technique of measuring the best 3 of 5 rounds fired in a group to approximate machine rest (or in this case the best 6 of 10) the last two would easily go under an inch. Of course, machine rest and real life are rather different, aren't they.

There's bunches more ammo to try!!

Last edited by Little River; 12-05-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
NYCEGUY01

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I shoot at the local range with an engineer for Browning. He has a BMrifle that he brings out sometimes.
He told me ,even in the tunnel the tapered barrels will outshoot the "Target " barrels 100% of the time.

He also told me that no matter what they tried with pressure screws etc.. will make the Target barrels shoot " Worth a %%%% " in his words.

He told me to stay with what Ive got and avoid the BMRifle unless I just want the cool factor of the little gun.

Ill probably still buy one if I see a deal but that info has made me a little more reserved about it. At least I know which model Im looking for now.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Little River

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Originally posted by NYCEGUY01:

I shoot at the local range with an engineer for Browning. He has a BMrifle that he brings out sometimes.
He told me ,even in the tunnel the tapered barrels will outshoot the "Target " barrels 100% of the time.

One wonders why Browning would continue to offer the target model. Marketing I suppose.

He also told me that no matter what they tried with pressure screws etc.. will make the Target barrels shoot " Worth a %%%% " in his words.

I don't know . . . mine shoots "worth a %%%%".

For a semi-auto .22 that I'd use for hunting and plinking I'm very satisfied. Maybe his definition of "worth a %%%%" is a bit tighter than mine.

He told me to stay with what Ive got (What are you currently shooting?)and avoid the BMRifle unless I just want the cool factor of the little gun.

Cool factor? I thought they were ugly and a joke until I picked one up. It fit so well I bought it and have been happy since.

Ill probably still buy one if I see a deal but that info has made me a little more reserved about it. At least I know which model Im looking for now.

I agree. If I see a deal on a model with a tapered barrel I've now got a reason to buy another Buckmark rifle!

Thanks for the inside info on the difference between the tapered and targets. Interesting stuff.

Last edited by Little River; 12-01-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 12:22 PM
NYCEGUY01

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I think when the white coat wearing guys go testing the rifle is locked in some sort of a device with a button in another room to actually fire the gun. Also he mentioned his indoor tunnel with no wind etc...

My current setups are modified 10/22 and 2 CZ 452 americans.

I think the target barrel is probably a descent performer but also probably made for marketing as much as accuracy.

As far as an offhand shooter unfortunately even the cheapest barrel and rifle will probably outshoot most peoples abilities. lol

I still wouldnt mind having one but Ill probably look for the tapered barrel version, Its the cheaper one anyway. lol

Youre correct when saying his idea of accuracy and yours probably differ greatly. Your groups look pretty good and a few fliers can be blamed on the shooter. When he locks a rifle in a vise and doesnt even touch it the shooter is eliminated.

He also mentioned testing done on the scale of over 50,000 rounds fired.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Little River

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
50,0000 rounds!!

THAT'S impressive!

It would be interesting to see the variation between different ammo in a barrel mounted so that the only human input is to when the round was fired. It would also be interesting to see the variation between barrels of the same configuration. Testing, say 10 barrels of the same configuration, find the smallest, largest and average size group for that particular barrel with a particular ammo.

I wish he were a member of this forum. There's a lot about which he could enlighten us but I'm not sure how much Browning would allow.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:24 PM
calabrian
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCEGUY01 View Post

That never stopped Ruger from making millions of guns that have to be rebuilt for them to shoot decently... !
Old 01-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Werewolf13
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calabrian View Post
That never stopped Ruger from making millions of guns that have to be rebuilt for them to shoot decently... !

And I've been thinkin' for the past 20 or so years that I was all alone in believing that.