Another Redhead TOZ 99 & First Redhead TOZ-78, Assemble, Targets - SEAR Troubleshoot - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:41 PM
ThePenguinKnight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another Redhead TOZ 99 & First Redhead TOZ-78

Quote:
[EDIT]
Since this thread is more popular and someone might want to see some impressions of the TOZ 78 as well as the 99, here's a link to the thread for back when I bought my 78:

The First Redhead

Might be useful to someone. Great little guns :P

[/EDIT]
Well, my TOZ-99 came in yesterday, I picked it up today, and I've been wishing I had time to visit the range ever since.

I promised y'all a full review, so here's part 1:

The Tula TOZ-99 is a semi-automatic recoil-operated carbine chambered for .22LR. Tula is a relatively well-known manufacturer, responsible for many of the famous Russian weapons during the old wars. The rifle itself is small, only about 42" in length (hence the "carbine" status :P), and weighs in at roughly 5 lbs. It's features are simple and well-positioned: basic non-adjustable trigger, safety switch located directly forward of the trigger, the detachable box-type magazine just forward of the safety. The sights consist of an adjustable front post-in-globe and a unique "paddle-wheel" style rear, which flips progressively to adjust for range (25, 50, 75, and 100 meters).

I know most everybody knows this already, but I figure I'd throw it out there for the random seeker. :P

This is her, with all the other stuff that came with. Two 5-round mags, two 10-round mags, sight adjusting tool, spoon-shaped screwdriver, owner's manual, "scraper" per the manual's description (apparently meant for cleaning?), and the rifle itself.

Click here for another pic.
Click here for another pic.

She came in the funny blue-and-white Tula box, wrapped in cosmolene-soaked paper. Unlike the 78-01 I got from Centerfire Systems, my 99 came with all four magazines with matching serial numbers.

My first impression was basically the same as it was with my 78: it's small, and it's light. The layout is almost identical to that of the 78. The trigger is non-adjustable, but it still breaks smoothly at a fairly light touch. The action is somewhat rough, but I suspect it will smooth out over time (more on those after I shoot it).

The wood is noticeably darker than my 78, but the finish is nowhere near as smooth. It has a rough, fairly grainy feel that will probably smooth out with use. Here she is with her sister, the bolt-action 78-01 (top):

I think they looks quite nice.

Last edited by aom22; 07-30-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: See if image would appear & Restore original Title.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:53 PM
ThePenguinKnight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Basic breakdown for cleaning

One thing I quickly discovered was how easy it is to break down the action. Here's a look at the ease of the process:

Here is the gun before any work is done. Note the circular doo-dads on the side of the action (bolt retention bar?) as well as the rear (bolt plug/block):

Press inwards (toward the muzzle) on the bolt plug, simultaneously pushing the bolt retention bar sideways:

The bolt plug will now be loose, and the innards will start spilling out. Keep a hand on the plug, or the firing pin spring will send it flying:

Pull the bolt itself toward the rear until the bolt handle is in the circular cutout (you will see the recoil springs sticking out of the rear, and you can remove them now if you wish). Rotate the bolt handle 90 degrees as shown below and remove it:

The bolt will now drop out into your hand. Here is what all the parts look like:

I was impressed by this incredibly easy takedown. I believe that with time, I will be able to disassemble the bolt one-handed. I don't know of many semis I can say that about.

Can't wait to shoot her.

Last edited by aom22; 11-04-2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: See if image would appear
Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 PM
lasabre

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice

Rifle looks good, I too have the TOZ 78 and was thinking about the 99. Where did you end up getting her ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 PM
ThePenguinKnight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasabre View Post
Rifle looks good, I too have the TOZ 78 and was thinking about the 99. Where did you end up getting her ??
David's Collectibles is where I ordered mine from.

They are also available from:

Shooter's Mart
The Gun Source
SSME
Old 11-05-2007, 03:37 AM
electro
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ThePenguinKnight, I really like your TOZ99. I also ordered one from David's this mourning. Hopefully mine will be in this week and looks as nice as yours. I have a Biathlon Basic coming in this week to get my Russian collection going. Let us know how your TOZ99 shoots.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 PM
ThePenguinKnight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Made it out to the range after school today. Unfortunately, I invited my buddy to come, and we had so much fun that I didn't get around to shooting any real groups :P. Lemme tell you, after only having a bolt-action, a semi is sooooo much fun .

Here's me, rapid-firing through 10 rounds:

Anyhoo, onto the review, section 2:

The trigger is incredibly crisp, breaking very smoothly at only a couple pounds. We compared it to my buddy's factory Ruger 10/22 and both agreed that my 99 was superior.

I ended up putting about 250 rounds downrange today. I started out with a five-round mag shooting slowly, to get a feel for the factory sight settings. Bullets hit to the right slightly, but otherwise it was pretty close. John started complaining, "That's not the way you do it. Shoot it fast. Make her jam!" So that's what I did

The shooting part, that is. No jams the entire day. A few failures-to-feed, but we'll discuss those in a second.

I loaded up a ten-round mag with Remington Golden Bullets, slapped it in, and cranked out all ten in about 1.5 seconds. No problems, and the dust clouds were pretty tightly packed; a soda bottle didn't fare so well :P. I loaded all three of my ten-round mags, and two of my five-rounders, went through them all rapid-fire, one after the other, no problems at all.

As the day went on, I experienced a few FTFs (feed, no misfires), but only on the first round (manually charging the bolt). From what I can tell, all of these were due to the round not being seated properly in the magazine. I discovered that when the round wasn't butted against the back of the mag, the bolt would try to pick up the rear without lifting the nose, and it would jam with the nose down. Soon as I addressed this, I stopped having problems.

The only other issue I had was mags refusing to lock in place. I didn't think to keep track and see if it was one specific magazine, but once in a while I would have difficulty locking the mag in. I suspect this is due to a poorly-sized retention notch in the magazine, but a good slap on the bottom took care of it.

I did shoot a few targets, but my eyesight is poor and the light was fading. I saved one target, but it should be taken with a grain of salt:

A couple of the outside holes (on the 7 and on the upper right) were from my buddy's 10/22, but the ones in the center are all mine, shot in two groups of 5. My second group consists of that center cluster. With irons, I was quite pleased.

One thing to note is that my 99 has a very deep strike. John's 10/22 refused a particular round of RGB twice, so he handed it to me and said he'd like to see me try it. I loaded the round and took the cap off the soda bottle downrange. We grabbed some spent brass, and it appears that my 99 strikes roughly twice as deep compared to his 10/22.

Good news: I checked the spacing, and the firing pin is configured so that it is a few micrometers short of the bolt face (nearly undetectable by eye), and it makes no impression whatsoever on the breech face. Safe to dry-fire .

After all that shooting, I packed up and went home to clean. I finally understand why so many people complain about how dirty the RGBs are:

I have more pics of cleaning the bolt if anyone's interested. It was about 50 times more dirty than my 78 ever has been.

Summed up: The TOZ-99 shoots very well, and it is fun to shoot! Accuracy, I'm convinced, is very good indeed, though I'll have to scope it to give you definitive ansers on that one. She eats several Wally-World brands of ammo with ease, including a 10/22s scraps. I am a happy camper .

(BTW, if anyone wants pics of the sear, trigger, and/or safety [interesting designs], I have some handy.)

(BTW #2: As a side-note, the sling swivels on the TOZ 78 and 99 are 3/4" wide, too small for the avarage sling I've been able to find. I mounted some Uncle Mike's QD swivels on my 78 with a drill bit and some fenagling, and I managed to wrestle a cheap 1-inch wide deal from Wally-World into the swivels on my 99. It seems to work, but I thought I'd let y'all know.)

Last edited by ThePenguinKnight; 11-07-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:42 PM
beammeupscotty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great information Penguin....

I was meaning to do a write up on my 99, but I have not had much chance to shoot it yet because the kids love it so much. That's the one part that Dad's hate because the kids burn up a LOT of ammo in the 99. I made a rule that only cheap ammo gets shot in it. Aguila SE seems to work pretty well.

Regarding the mags not seating properly, this is a problem with 99s and with 78s too. I have found that you can open up the latch cut a bit to help them latch in place better. I just use a flat file to do this. Thanks for all the work on this thread. I am getting very close to ordering another 99. They make me popular with the young ones.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 AM
ThePenguinKnight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I were not a poor college student, I'd buy another 99 for my brother for Christmas. Alas, he'll have to miss out :P.

Just before I read your post, Scotty, I had examined my mags and took a file to the latch cutouts. All of my 6 mags now seat properly and lock in tight, and it only took about 10 seconds to fix.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:57 AM
DHeth

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice, reminds me of a Mosin Nagant, but thats probably because its russian.
I take it the 99s from Shooters Mart and The Gun Source don't come with the 3 extra mags? They are $35 bucks cheaper, approximately the cost of 3 magazines.
Mind showing some close-up shots of the Magazine and the swivel studs?

I saw those M1985 Nagant pistols on that Davids Collectibles website, might have to pick on of those up.

Last edited by DHeth; 11-07-2007 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 AM
beammeupscotty

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DHeth, the first TZ 99 I got was purchsed from Shootersmart...

and it came with 2-5 round and 2-10 round mags. I just ordered another one yesterday. When it comes in I will report whether or not it comes with the full compliment of mags.

When I bought the first one, I asked about this very issue and they told me it only came with one mag. Clearly the Internet sales guy doesn't know what is going on with the products he sells, so I wouldn't bother asking.

I got my price (in both cases) from Shootersmart, but ordered over the phone from Blythe's, which owns that web site.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:20 AM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another pair (TOZ 99 & 78) and target

Photos from a Canadian Gun Nut Speckfire at
CanadianGunNutz.com forum.

Thread: Russian Crank-Action .22's ???

TOZ-99 Target: Here is a 10 rd group with Remington HV @ 50 yds using a 9x scope
Old 11-07-2007, 10:29 AM
ThePenguinKnight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had originally placed an order with Blythe's for a 99, but when I couldn't get them to answer my emails and they were less than helpful over the phone, I decided to go with another source. I might be willing to give them another try in the future. We'll have to see about that.

I'll take some pics when I get home from school and throw them up here for ya, DHeth.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some gentleman prefer a Russian beeched blonde

Gosh, the TOZ 78's with beeched blonde stocks - "simply, irressitible".
And, hard to find - impossible to avoid the pun .

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas
.... This was the standard 'blond' stocked Russian model ....

Some gentleman prefer a Russian beeched blonde

Last edited by aom22; 11-07-2007 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Modify Text for Clarity
Old 11-07-2007, 03:23 PM
ThePenguinKnight

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's some pics of the sling and mags:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...P1010001-1.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...P1010004-1.jpg
You can see how the sling is pinched. The swivel studs themselves have holes that are smaller than the Uncle Mikes QD swivels, and even after drilling them out you'll have to shim the swivels with something (I used tiny washers on my 78) in order to keep them from rattling like crazy. On my 99, the 1 inch sling is held very firmly, making it difficult to install and adjust, but very stable.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...P1010007-1.jpg
The top edge of the little cutout is what I filed down. It's extremely hard to tell, even on close inspection, that anything was done at all to the mags, but they lock into place firmly.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Iron Glove

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is there any way I could get a copy of your owner's manual on the 99 ? I got a slightly used one awhile back and the manual was not with it.
Also have a 78 - great rifles.
Email, fax, mail, whatever will really be appreciated.
Thanks.