Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Dune
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Taurus 970 22 tracker

Hi, just saw one of these great looking gun, 275 price seems right, anyway , are any of you shooting one? what is your overall expirence with this model? i have a taurus 94 the trigger is heavy, over 12#, is this the same with the 970?
thanks Dune
Old 06-01-2007, 01:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I have no idea, but for the price I could not resist. I've got one waiting for me to pick up from Gander Mtn next weekend. Price was $249 less 5% for some reason. I have read good reviews of them but also some complaints. The biggest complaint is with Taurus customer service/warranty - loooong delays. I think they are "reasonably" accurate... whatever that means.

I decided I'd give it a whirl though, at that price. Wish me luck.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Ranger61
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My Tracker has been very good. The trigger is very good for a 22 revolver. It is very accurate as well with the standard sights. I do not like the squishy grip but haven't gotten around to getting a hogue monogrip to replace it yet. I'm thinking of getting a scope mount so I can really find out how well it shoots. I would buy another if they made a model with a shorter barrel like a 3 or 4 inch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Simon6101
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
67% (6)
I bought a stainless one and man was it accurate. I took it out of the box at the range and from 25 yards could hit a 2 inch steel plate at least 5 out 7.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I finally got my blued one. It seems decently well made, but it's not a S&W ....Of course, that's wasn't the point. It was only $250 and I wanted a plinking .22 revolver.

The 6.5" barrel with a full underlug and additional vented style ramp on top seems a bit overkill and muzzle heavy. I'd probably prefer a less mass up front, but I haven't shot it yet. Grips are this weird squishy rubber that makes it seem smaller than it is. They might be helpful with a large caliber handgun, but unecessary for a .22. Double action trigger pull is very heavy. No way I could shoot it well, even with a rest. A person with a weak grip (no offense, ladies) would definitely not like it. I would not want to try to shoot it fast as my aim would be all over the place. I'll try staging it when I shoot, but even there I'm not hopeful. Single action is heavy, but it's a very clean break and feels lighter than it probably is, so I think it would be fine for plinking. Sights are quite nice and adjustable - rear has a white box outline and the front has a nice orange insert. Very good.

I haven't taken it apart, other than to remove the monogrip. I think the spring replacement should be pretty easy and if that makes double action reasonable along with better grips, then I'll think I got a nice pistol for a very good price.

Hopefully it will be accurate... I'll report back.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Dune

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
thanks for the replies, I have not made up my mind yet, but there is a gun show this weekend and I may pick one up there. thanks again and I would love to hear how your 970 shoots rodj
Old 06-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Mark Phelps

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Follow this link:

Tracker Spring Info

and you will be very pleased with the trigger improvement. A cheap fix, and I still have had no problems with the Wolff spring combo I installed.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
Follow this link:

Tracker Spring Info

and you will be very pleased with the trigger improvement. A cheap fix, and I still have had no problems with the Wolff spring combo I installed.
Thanks Mark. I was planning on following your instructions and ordered the Wolf pack yesterday. I very much appreciate the link - it'll be easy to find now! Thanks also for shining the light and leading the way for the rest of us lemmings.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:29 AM
BoneDigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just bought one...

I just recently purchased a Model 970 from Budsgunshop for $265 (plus shipping and transfer fees). I also ordered a scope mount (B-square) and I have a Simmons pro hunter scope to put on it. I have done some minor plinking with the gun and so far I am very impressed. For a sub-$300 gun it's very accurate and just a BLAST to shoot. It is smaller than my Tracker M44 but the dimensions aren't very far off. It'll be a good practice gun for that purpose.

I also plan to try some squirrel hunting with it as soon as squirrel season opens here in TX. I find the trigger in both SA and DA to be reasonable for a .22LR.

Anybody know if HKS makes a speedloader that'll fit this gun?

Todd

Last edited by BoneDigger; 06-17-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
First shot report

Tried out my new blued Tracker this evening at an indoor range. I didn't try the double action, because it's very heavy and I plan to install the Wolf springs. I did try single action and I had no problems. The single action trigger is on the heavy side but it is very clean. No creep whatsoever. Pretty impressive for a $250 pistol. All the cases ejected fine, in fact they shot out. None hung up or had any problems clearing the cylinder. Sights were very nice. I wish all my pistols had such nice sights.

I used the Walmart Fed 750 ammo and the Fed AM22. At 7 yards, the pistol was very accurate - almost all shots in 1-1.5" or so using a two handed hold but no rest. On the other hand, at 25 yards, the spread went to more like 5" even using a rest. Not sure why, but I think the trigger weight starts to really count and my eyeglasses were fogging up a bit (humid out, cool inside). Mostly I think it's the trigger. I adjusted the sights to raise the point of aim. The adjustable sights have mushy clicks. Enough to know you are moving, but kind of on the soft side. Not a major complaint. I am happy they are adjustable at this price.

Surprisingly the barrel didn't seem overly heavy with a two hand grip. I liked the extra sight radius and think when the trigger is lightened up it will be very nice. Not sure what I think about the squishy grips. They mold to your hand qiute nicely and are completely nonslip but not tacky. Easy to change your hold a bit if you want. Personally, I still think I would prefer wood grips. They just look right on a blued revolver.

Well, that's about it. All in all, uneventful, but happy to find no indications of problems. We shall see how it shoots once the new springs are in (they're on order! wuhoo!)

Regards,
Rod
Old 08-20-2007, 11:05 PM
LikesToShoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Mark Phelps

Mark, I FINALLY got around to replacing the springs on my 970 Tracker.
After reading your info. on spring replacement I had ordered the springs for my 970 and my 651 several months ago.
Your instructions were GREAT!
I fired some WSPM primers thru my 651 when I was done and it felt wonderful. I look forward to my next visit to the range.
Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 PM
JohnO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought a 6" Tracker in 17HMR last year. SA trigger pull was a bit rough, but an hour with a diamond file and 1000 grit sandpaper set it right. Very smooth now.

DA pull is very stiff, but I rarely shoot like that. Otherwise, a very well built pistol. I was impressed with the quality.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Mark Phelps

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LikesToShoot,

Glad it worked out for ya
Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
KlrRick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got it and like it

I've had a blued 970 for about 9 months now and like it. Everything you've been told is correct about the springs. I have mine topped with a Truglow 2x reddot and it shoots beyond my capability (talk about heavy). Last outing I developed an issue with ejecting shells. It takes 4x the pressure it took 2 weeks ago. Don't know whats up with that.