Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:25 PM
f.2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger MK III 22/45 #%& safety features...

Greetings. If I install this Volquartsen Accurizing Kit (extended bolt release, target hammer, target sear, target trigger w/ overtravel screw, return trigger plunger spring and polished plunger), will the magazine disconnect be disabled?

How do you remove the loaded chamber indicator?

Are there other safety features that can be disabled, removed?
Old 05-26-2007, 10:36 PM
greener
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
See this link for detailed strip and "how to's" http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm

Check the VQ accurizing kit you are ordering. I don't believe the extended bolt release will work on the 22/45. I believe this is for the models with the standard Ruger grip.

You can do a good job on the trigger by replacing the trigger with a VQ trigger (or clark or marvel, I've heard) and the sear with a VQ sear. The sear spring in the VQ kit will not work for the 22/45.

If you want to remove the magazine disconnect, you need to change the hammer with a MKII hammer and use a bushing. See Bullseye's site (www.guntalk-online.com). You can find the details for this in several threads.

The loaded chamber can be removed, I think rather easily. The removal has been discussed on this site, mkiii.org and guntalk-online.

I have the MKIII Hunter and MKIII 22/45. Neither safety devices bother me. I've used the LCI only once as a quick check on chambering rounds when I was having a problem. Other than that my "LCI" has been eyes on the open breach. The mag disconnect is a matter of discussion. I think I prefer it as a safety matter.

I don't think there are any other safety-related features you can remove. However, after buying a MKIII and going to all the trouble to turn it into a MKII, it seems to me that it would have been easier to buy a MKII.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:06 AM
f.2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Check the VQ accurizing kit you are ordering. I don't believe the extended bolt release will work on the 22/45. I believe this is for the models with the standard Ruger grip.
The second listing is " Accurizing Kit - MKIII ". I'll ask to make sure anyway.

Quote:
Other than that my "LCI" has been eyes on the open breach. The mag disconnect is a matter of discussion. I think I prefer it as a safety matter.
Yeah, I know how to do a press check / chamber check and don't need a LCI. Same as I don't need a lock or mag disconnect.

Quote:
I don't think there are any other safety-related features you can remove. However, after buying a MKIII and going to all the trouble to turn it into a MKII, it seems to me that it would have been easier to buy a MKII.
Nope. If I wanted a euro mag release MK II then I'd have gotten it.

break

Is there a slingshot mod also? Or does the hammer / bushing deal allow the slide to lock back without a magazine inserted, like a normal handgun?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Bullseye57
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You can remove the LCI by following the instructions here. LCI Removal

If you wish to remove the locking feature of the 22/45's bolt release, just remove the detent ball located in the bolt release.

If you wish to remove the magazine safety lock feature the simplest method is to buy a Mark II hammer bushing and replace the disconnector safety hook, return spring, and Mark III hammer bushing with the Mark II version. You can buy an oversized Mark II bushing and pin set from Clark Custom. You do not need the whole VQ Accurizing kit to do a mod. You can get away with simply putting the Mark II bushing into your Mark III hammer. But if you desire a VQ sear and hammer then try purchasing these separately from Rimfire Sports and Custom - you'll save by simply buying the parts you need instead of a kit packed with redundant parts.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Old 05-27-2007, 09:59 AM
fanofde4ever

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via AIM to fanofde4ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
The second listing is " Accurizing Kit - MKIII ". I'll ask to make sure anyway.
The MKIII, and MKIII 22/45 have different grip designs and therefor different internals. That's why the standard MKIII kit won't work in a 22/45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
Nope. If I wanted a euro mag release MK II then I'd have gotten it.
You can get a MKII 22/45 which is almost identical to what you have now without the LCI, or Mag lock is what he was saying. The safety features where added to the newer model MKIII.

I'm curious why you wanna remove the LCI though. It doesn't stick out enough to interfere with anything, doesn't slow the cycling of the gun, and doesn't cause any jams. It just seems like a waste of time removing it unless you just don't like the look of it, but then you leave a hole in the frame.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:37 AM
f.2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great advice! Thanks Bullseye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye57 View Post

If you wish to remove the locking feature of the 22/45's bolt release, just remove the detent ball located in the bolt release.

If you wish to remove the magazine safety lock feature the simplest method is to buy a Mark II hammer bushing and replace the disconnector safety hook, return spring, and Mark III hammer bushing with the Mark II version. You can buy an oversized Mark II bushing and pin set from Clark Custom. You do not need the whole VQ Accurizing kit to do a mod. You can get away with simply putting the Mark II bushing into your Mark III hammer. But if you desire a VQ sear and hammer then try purchasing these separately from Rimfire Sports and Custom - you'll save by simply buying the parts you need instead of a kit packed with redundant parts.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Old 05-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Bullseye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
The MKIII, and MKIII 22/45 have different grip designs and therefor different internals. That's why the standard MKIII kit won't work in a 22/45.
This is true to a point.

The internals of a Mark II work fine in a Mark III pistol of the same model. The difference between the external frames of the 22/45 (Mark III) and the 22/45 (Mark II) have nothing to do with the compatibility of the parts. The difference in the parts kits deal with the changes made to the hammer and hammer bushing to allow for the magazine safety feature. The regular Mark III and 22/45 kits do contain some different parts.

The 22/45 has a different set up for the sear and hammer where the pins have locking grooves cut in them. The sear springs are different between a metal framed pistol and a polymer framed pistol. This is the major difference between the 22/45 parts and the metal framed pistols. When you order a VQ sear, you'll get a new sear spring for the metal frame pistol. Inside the instructions will say if you're installing it in a 22/45 pistol then use the original sear spring. Besides the pins having grooves and the sear spring bent differenly the most of the interparts are the same. There are differences between the bolt catch parts, but this is just for use with the polymer frame

R,
Bullseye

Last edited by Bullseye57; 05-27-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:52 AM
fanofde4ever

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
The internals of a Mark II work fine in a Mark III pistol of the same model. The difference between the external frames have nothing to do with the compatibility of the parts. The difference in the parts kits deal with the changes made to the hammer and hammer bushing to allow for the magazine safety feature.

R,
Bullseye

I wasn't saying MKIII, and MKII. I was saying MKIII standard, and MKIII 22/45. It's my understading some parts aren't interchangeable between the 2 due to the different grip design, and that's why greener said the mag release won't work. I'll admit I don't know as much about them as you do, but that's the impression I've gotten between here and MKIII.org on the subject. I don't intend to modify my MKIII 22/45, but I do like knowing what I'm dealing with if something goes wrong with it.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Bullseye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes, I misunderstood your original meaning and was updating my post when you posted your reply.

R,
Bullseye

Old 05-27-2007, 11:29 AM
fanofde4ever

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Yes, I misunderstood your original meaning and was updating my post when you posted your reply.

R,
Bullseye

That's ok. I know you know your sh!t. I was sure either I was wrong in my understanding or you had misunderstood what I was saying. It's no big deal.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:30 AM
f.2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bullseye,

Greetings. Can you explain what will happen functionally in the handgun if the magazine release ball detent is removed? Does that allow the slide to lock back without a magazine inserted?

If so, what does the "magazine safety lock feature" mentioned below that do? Is this the disconnect feature that prevents the firing pin from striking the round when a magazine is not inserted and a round is in the chamber?

I'm just waiting patiently until my check arrives at the dealer and he sends my FFL the 22/45 MK III. I guess you could call it a snail mail cooling off period.

Quote:

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Old 05-31-2007, 01:00 PM
fanofde4ever

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The detent ball is for the bolt release, not the mag release. It holds the bolt lock in place until it is physically pulled down releasing the bolt. If the detent ball is removed the lock will fall out of the way on it's own as soon as the bolt is pulled back. The bolt hold open feature will still work when the mag is emptied, cause the mag will be holding it in place.

You are correst in your assumption of what the magazine safety lock is.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Bullseye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The detent ball can be removed and the bolt latch will function normally. An empty magazine will latch the bolt open. Removing the ball will allow the operator to simply pull the bolt rearward and let go to charge the pistol. This makes the 22/45 operate in the same manner as a regular Mark III pistol.

The magazine safety disconnector is a hook that captures the sear and holds it fast when there's no magazine installed in the pistol. A Ruger 22 Auto does not have a firing pin safety device. Here's a picture of how the mag safety disconnector operates.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Old 06-02-2007, 02:54 PM
f.2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That helps me understand it now. You are the man Bullseye!

Quote:
The detent ball can be removed and the bolt latch will function normally. An empty magazine will latch the bolt open. Removing the ball will allow the operator to simply pull the bolt rearward and let go to charge the pistol. This makes the 22/45 operate in the same manner as a regular Mark III pistol.

The magazine safety disconnector is a hook that captures the sear and holds it fast when there's no magazine installed in the pistol. A Ruger 22 Auto does not have a firing pin safety device. Here's a picture of how the mag safety disconnector operates.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Old 06-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Bullseye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Have you been to my web help pages? There's lots of good info found on them, including an animation of both the Mark III and Mark II trigger groups.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm

There's lots of links on that web page over to a few others of mine that may help you too.

R,
Bullseye