Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:40 AM
athappyhiker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Centerfire scopes on rimfires?

Just curious - how many of you shoot rimfire rifles topped off with scopes designed for "big game" hunting with centerfire rifles? Notice any issues with them and their 100-150yd parallax settings?
For those of you who do use centerfire scopes on rimfires - why? Why do you favor that scope over one tailor-made for a rimfire?
Old 05-19-2007, 09:47 AM
505Gibbs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by athappyhiker View Post
Just curious - how many of you shoot rimfire rifles topped off with scopes designed for "big game" hunting with centerfire rifles? Notice any issues with them and their 100-150yd parallax settings?
For those of you who do use centerfire scopes on rimfires - why? Why do you favor that scope over one tailor-made for a rimfire?
I almost ALWAYs use a centerfire scope!
a. more choices in magnification range i.e. 4-14 vs 2-7 or 3-9
b. more choices that have AO
Since I don't shoot rimfire at 150 yds I see no issues with the parallax settings.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:51 AM
moontroll1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All my Rimfires have Centerfire scopes on them and have no problems,I like it that way.6 Rimfires all with high end Centerfire scopes,and small groups. As the man said Parallex is only an issue at longer ranges,Unlike what they may tell you,at least thats what the Scientist say and what I experience.The quality of the scope is far far more important.

Last edited by moontroll1; 05-19-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2007, 11:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Notice any issues with them and their 100-150yd parallax settings?
For plinking or hunting meduim sized game, no problem, but for trying to shoot groups on paper, forget it. Not gonna happen, unless you can set your cheek in the exact same place on that stock every time. 1/4" groups will open up to over an inch easily. If you have one with AO, not a problem. Actually most better rimfore scopes will work fine on all centerfires.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)

I have 2.5x and 4x centerfire scopes on rimfires that work great a lower ranges with no problems. Parallax is not very noticeable in lower powered scopes say under 6x. When you start to get into higher powers 10+ most scopes are going to have an AO anyway, but higher powered scopes that don't, that are set to 100 yards or more, you are going to find that you'll have trouble at lower ranges keeping the target and crosshairs in focus at the same time, because the two are not on the same focal plane, the same is true at longer ranges, just not as noticeable to the eye. Not saying in any way that this would keep one from using such a scope, as Gizzy was saying for hunting and plinking, no problem, but for precision target shooting, forget it.

Last edited by JEE; 05-19-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:20 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEE View Post
When you start to get into higher powers 10+ most scopes are going to have an AO anyway, but higher powered scopes that don't, that are set to 100 yards or more, you are going to find that you'll have trouble at lower ranges keeping the target and crosshairs in focus at the same time, because the two are not on the same focal plane, the same is true at longer ranges, just not as noticeable to the eye. Not saying in any way that this would keep one from using such a scope, as Gizzy was saying for hunting and plinking, no problem, but for precision target shooting, forget it.
I borrowed a 3-9x40mm non-AO centerfire scope (Leupold) off a friend's "deer rifle" to put on my .22 while I was waiting for my rimfire scope to arrive via pony express. The image of the 25 yard target was so fuzzy I couldn't be sure I had the crosshair centered on the little "X" at the bull's eye. The image at 50 yards was a little clearer but not much. Parallax? Who knows! Since everything was so fuzzy I couldn't tell you if the "X" and the crosshair stayed lined up while moving my head around or not!

In the end, it depends on how you shoot. Going for bughole groups at 25 yards? You want an AO on your scope, whether rimfire or centerfire, and you also want to make sure it will focus down that close. Some centerfire AO scopes only focus down to 50 yards. Shooting mostly in the 50 - 70 yard range band? A fixed focus rimfire scope will be fine. Going from targets at 25 yards to targets at 150 yards? If just knocking down silhouettes you can get by without AO, but if you are going for the difference between an "X" and a "10" that AO is valuable.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Zen900

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
AOs are great for targets but a pain when hunting. I hate focusing when hunting. I want to sight the quarry and pull the trigger.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:06 PM
[email protected]

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
For plinking or hunting meduim sized game, no problem, but for trying to shoot groups on paper, forget it. Not gonna happen, unless you can set your cheek in the exact same place on that stock every time. 1/4" groups will open up to over an inch easily. If you have one with AO, not a problem. Actually most better rimfore scopes will work fine on all centerfires.
Interesting. Have any experience with using a Leupold 3-9X33 EFR rimfire scope on centerfire rifles? I have been wondering if that would damage the scope.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:40 PM
mrmarklin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
ALL my rimfires have centerfire scopes on them because it's impossible to find the quality of scope I want in rimfire only.

My scopes are as follows:

Ruger 10/22 with Leupold 1.5-5x20 Vari X -III
Anschutz 1717D with Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x56
Volquartsen .17HM2 with Leupold LPS 1.5-6X42
Winchester 9422M w/ Leupold 1.5-5x20 Vari-X III illuminated
Sako Quad (4 Calibers) with Kahles 2.5-10x50 CS MultiZero scope
T/C Contender Pistol 14" BBL .17HMR with T/C 3-9X32 scope

Some of the scopes cost MORE than the guns themselves, but I have NEVER been let down in the field. Super sight pictures and no dreaded "whiteout".

For hunting purposes, parallax is never a problem and in fact for most hunting situations AO is nothing but a headache. The only exception to this is long range varmint hunting with a centerfire rifle.
To "focus" a close shot say less than 50 yards, It is necessary to dial back the power of the 10x scopes to 2.5-5x. This gives greater depth of field so the target is perfectly clear. The problem with close targets is that because all my rimfires (except 22lr) are sighted in @ 100 yards I'll tend to shoot over the target!! I probably have more misses in the 25-30 yard range that at any other!

Last edited by mrmarklin; 05-19-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Interesting. Have any experience with using a Leupold 3-9X33 EFR rimfire scope on centerfire rifles? I have been wondering if that would damage the scope.

That scope will withstand any recoil. It says rimfire because of the closer AO adjustment, but are all made the same inside. You will nt ot void any warranty by putting it on a centerfire.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen900 View Post
AOs are great for targets but a pain when hunting. I hate focusing when hunting. I want to sight the quarry and pull the trigger.

???... I hunt with AO scopes. I own one scope that is not AO. I never adjust the AO unless I am hunting varmints and they are more than 400 yards away. I set the AO on something somewhere in the mid range of what you will be hunting and let it go. You are not going after one hole groups here. No need for perfect parallax when hunting. For squirrels, mine is on 40 yards. If I see one at 15 yards, I shoot him. No adjustment needed. If I see one at 64 yards, I shoot him, no adjustments. AO is the best for the best accuracy. If you have time to judge the distance, adjust the parallax then shoot, by all means, this is best, but it is not needed.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
It Depends.....

on the magnification and the optical design of the scope in question. Some scopes with adjustable objectives have a super short depth of field. As in, you set the objective focus at 40 yards, and everything plus or minus a few feet from that distance is a blur. Some scopes optical design is more forgiving. I have a Burris compact 3-9x 32mm without an adjustable objective on my .22, which has been set parallax free at 50 yards. At ten yards if I leave it on 9x, the image is a bit blurred, but in good focus from roughly 20 yards to infinity. At low magnification, it is in good focus from approximately 20 feet to infinity. There is a bit of parallax at 25 yards, but not enough to bother with, as the groups are still a quarter inch or close to that even with the slight parallax. At 100 yards, 9x is running out of enough magnification to do much serious paper shooting, but kills crows and squirrels just fine, especially the crows, as you can wobble a couple of inches and still score.

With scope brands such as Leupold and Burris, there is no quality difference in the scopes marketed as "rimfire" versus the ones marked for centerfire. The only difference is in whether the parallax free distance is set for rimfire ranges, or further out for centerfire ranges. The EFR series Leupold scopes only difference in their other adjustable objective scopes is that they will focus closer, they will come in to about ten yards, where the standard AO scopes only drop to 25 or 50 yards. EFR means "extra focus range". Some companies sell lesser quality scopes to fill out a "rimfire scope" line. Those types of scopes will not usually last very long if put on a centerfire rifle.

On the vast majority of scopes, it is not a problem to set your objectives focus at whatever distance you want it at. I have set many a scope intended for centerfire to be parallax free at 50 yards. There is an entire thread devoted to that subject somewhere around here, should be easy to find and read.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:53 PM
[email protected]

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
That scope will withstand any recoil. It says rimfire because of the closer AO adjustment, but are all made the same inside. You will nt ot void any warranty by putting it on a centerfire.
That's great news! It is interesting that Leupold offers two 3-9X33 Ultralight VX-II scopes, the one with AO listed as a rimfire scope and the one w/o AO listed with the centerfire scopes. Both at the same price! I wonder if there are any differences at all other than the AO?

Edited to note that Phil answered my question in the above paragraph in one post upthread. Thanks!

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-19-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:29 AM
452 shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I have used my Burris 6X Fullfield on a variety of 22 rifles simply because of not having enough scopes to go around! Still worked very well for me at 50 yards with rimfire rifles. In fact it is now on a Marlin 925.

For more "serious" target work I prefer to have an AO scope and have a couple of V16s which serve equally well on rimfire or centerfire. The V16 with target dot is my favorite "rimfire" scope and is mounted on a VQ barreled 10/22. I wish I had bought my original V16 with target dot too!

Have also used a 12X Burris Fullfield on a few 22s , it does have the AO and now resides on a Marlin 17.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:54 AM
wulkyrie
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moontroll1 View Post
All my Rimfires have Centerfire scopes on them and have no problems,I like it that way.6 Rimfires all with high end Centerfire scopes,and small groups. As the man said Parallex is only an issue at longer ranges,Unlike what they may tell you,at least thats what the Scientist say and what I experience.The quality of the scope is far far more important.
Sorry, but parallex IS an issue at SHORTER ranges and less so at LONGER ranges, this is the reason why on the AO there is more markings at shorter ranges than closer to infinity. Matter of fact, most scopes are parallex free at 150-200 yds and beyond. For long range shooting, a lot of people set the parallex at 200 and forget about it.