Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 PM
bullseye_john

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
buckmark ammunition post

I spent some time digging through the search here the last few weeks looking for specific ammunition recommendations, but most of the info is either a) old or b) scattered about. I was hoping we could just have people post their updated thoughts on ammunition that works / doesn't work in a single place.

Gun: Buckmark Bulleseye Target URX

Brands / lines that haven't had any issues for me:
  • CCI Mini Mag
  • CCI Standard
  • CCI Velocitor
  • Federal "Champion"
  • Remington Viper
  • Winchester Super-X
  • Remington Golden Bullet
  • American Eagle Hollow-point

Other brands I have that I haven't shot yet: CCI Blazer, Remington Thunderbolt.

Last edited by bullseye_john; 06-07-2007 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Added another item.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:45 PM
mactex
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Challenger III loves CCI mini-mags. I tried some Federal bulk 22lr available at Academy, but that was a disaster.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Magical
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
After about 150 to 200 rds fired, twice I have had Velocitors rupture and blow the extractor clear off of the pistol. I attribute this to the chamber getting dirty and the round not seating completely.
All other ammo has worked well.
I do stop to clean every so often at the range since that happened. I have the standard not the target.
Magical
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 02:00 PM
boojombi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a buckmark contour 5.5.

It likes Federal "premium" red label the best, as far as reliability and tight groups.
I think the tightest group (50', rest) ever was from CCI std vel ( or was it Green Label?), but that ammo doesn't always like to feed so well.
CCI Blazer is fine for accuracy, not fine for reliability.

All of the Eley stuff was a disaster for feeding, so I don't bother anymore. Save it for my rifle.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 PM
chim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
CCI Standard Velocity is my top choice. It is reasonably priced, accurate and reliable. When testing from sandbags it has either been the most accurate or so close that the difference didn't matter.

I've had feeding problems with some cheap Winchester bulk-packed stuff, and cycling problems with Aguila SE. Remington Thunderbolts worked OK if I recall, but it was pretty dirty ammo.

Winchester Dynapoints did well years ago, but I quit buying it when it gave me failures to fire way too many times. That used to be available at K-Mart for around $9 a brick on sale. I still have a case or two of Dynapoint, but only use it in rifles or 1911 conversions - it's reliable in them...............chim
Old 05-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Hunter198

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my Buckmark Hunter which I bought new I've used:

Ammo....................................# rounds................result
Federal Game Shock .............. 200.......................1 failure to eject.
PMC Zapper Hollow points........20.........................No problems
CCI mini mags........................20.................... ....No problems
Remington golden bullet .........750.......................**
Value Pack Hollow Points

No failures to feed whatsoever. I love this gun.

** One or two failures to fire per 50 rounds not the guns fault. I can't recommend this ammo. Unfortunately Bass Pro Shop has a ton of it.

The PMC and the CCI mini mags are the only ammo that feed through all 3 of the .22's I have.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Hunter198

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my Buckmark Hunter which I bought new I've used:

Ammo....................................# rounds................result
Federal Game Shock .............. 200.......................1 failure to eject.
PMC Zapper Hollow points........20.........................No problems
CCI mini mags........................20.................... ....No problems
Remington golden bullet .........750.......................**
Value Pack Hollow Points

No failures to feed whatsoever. I love this gun.

** One or two failures to fire per 50 rounds not the guns fault. I can't recommend this ammo. Unfortunately Bass Pro Shop has a ton of it.

The PMC and the CCI mini mags are the only ammo that feed through a 3 of the .22's I have.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:07 AM
MkH^

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like CCI Standard Velocity with a black bullet. Very reliable, and more accurate than I am. Cheap too.
On my last purchase I decided to try Federal Target, and they seemed rather accurate too and worked without any problems.
What my Buck Mark does not like, are Eley Pistol Standard. Getting a lot of misfires with these, maybe the strike is too soft or something. Remington Thunderbolts seem to have some serious issues with quality control. In a box of 50 there are always 2-3 rounds that just won't go off - duds so to say.

Last edited by MkH^; 05-16-2007 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 AM
greenzx9r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via MSN to greenzx9r Send a message via Skype™ to greenzx9r
Hi all, I have the buckmark standard model. I have just put 1500 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity through it without one single probem. Today I put 150 rounds of Federal Champion..... the accuracy was fine but I noticed a lot of smoke coming from the breech. Am I right in presuming he powder used in the CCI ammo is of a batter quality? I think I will keep using the CCI standard velocity. Can not fault them at all and they are $35 per brick here in Bundaberg Australia. TA.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Hunter198

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenzx9r View Post
Am I right in presuming he powder used in the CCI ammo is of a batter quality?
If it is the same gun and one ammo smokes less it may or may not mean better quality. It simply means a different type of powder.

Some powders require more powder to get the same load as another type of powder. Which may lead to more smoke. Some powders burn hotter than others and thus may burn the powder more completely, thus making more smoke.

Bottom line is shoot the one that functions best in your gun and that you enjoy.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:41 PM
still_learning

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
Just back from the range...

I purchased a Contour light w/7 inch barrel, mainly because of the balance and grips. I was not sure what to expect, because the internet reflects a pecking order in preference; ie., start w/ruger, Beretta, 22A or buckmark, then when you get better get a Smith 41, when you get better still get a Pardini or Hammerelli. The boards for bullseye seem to settle on no more than 1 inch at 25 yards, or 1.5 inches at 50 yards. That was my goal. I shoot smallbore prone and silhouette and have a "test" box of maybe 25 different brands of ammo, so off to the range...
Results from bag with Nikon 2x scope (1 - 5 shot group to narrow in on the ammo to focus on, in inches):
Eley EPS Black - 0.25
Eley HV Blue - 0.42
Eley HV Red - 0.4
Eley Sport Bia - 1.1
Eley EPS Bia - 0.52
SK HV HP - 0.52
SK HV S- 0.75
SK Rifle Match - 1.2
Lapua Speed Ace - 0.53
CCI Pistol Match - 0.67
Wolf MT - 0.56
SK Match - 1.3
SK Plus - .65
Lapua Master M - 0.44
CCI STD- 0.65
Federal Gold Tgt - 1.5
50 Yds 2x Scope
Wolf MT - 2
Eley HV Red - 0.85
Eley EPS Black - 0.9
Eley Blue - 0.9

First, no FTF or feeding problems. I was flat amazed at the Eley. We had 3-5 mph gusts that caught me a few times. I am going to repeat the 50 yard test in calm conditions. I'm thinking I can cut a couple of tenths. In summary, great trigger, balance, accuracy with no mechanical issues. It's a keeper.
Michael
Old 05-24-2007, 10:50 PM
bullseye_john

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
added some to my first post in the thread... 800 shots so far, only one FTE -- a stovepipe, but round was just a dud -- hardly any 'bang'
Old 05-29-2007, 01:48 PM
conphoto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In response to Magical,

Had the same problem with Velocitors blowing out the extractor. Just replaced the entire extractor assembly on saturday after having it happen again in the field. No more Velocitors in the Buckmark. Glad to know as I was really getting leery of the gun. I hadn't linked the velocitors with the extractor issue until I just read your post. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:03 PM
MkH^

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tried some Lapua Standard Club today. Out of hundred rounds, maybe five failed to feed. Also had two or three misfires. Maybe this ammunition is better suited for rifles - it's supposed to very high quality afterall. My Buck Mark was spewing sparks out of the barrel and on my hands. Looked nice, but burned a bit :/

My gun might to be in response of this though, I'll have to try again now that I've cleaned my magazines and such.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 AM
bullseye_john

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i've now shot over 450 rounds of the federal 'champion' stuff that our local Dick's sells. ($15.99 for 500) and it's been great so far. Not too dirty, and I've only had 2 FTF -- basically just hits that didn't go 'bang.' Both shots worked fine on a second strike.

I'll probably stock up on this stuff and keep shooting it for a while -- hard to beat the price.