Re-installing the 597 Guide Rods for new/future 597 owners. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:21 AM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to ToxicSports
Re-installing the 597 Guide Rods for new/future 597 owners.

OK gang,

I know that many new and future 597 owners will be confused as how to re-install the guide rods.

Here's a quick 5 step post that I, and probably many others, do and it takes me about 30 seconds to re-install both rails.

Now, you can start on either side. I chose the left (top when looking into the receiver) because it was easier to do with a camera on a tripod between me and the gun.

Step 1

Insert a spring into the bolt.

Step 2

1) Insert a guide rod into the receiver and the tip of the spring onto the tip of the rod.

2) Try to keep the spring arched upwards.

Step3
1) Slowly feed the rod into the receiver while at the same time feeding the spring onto the rod.

Step 4

This step simply shows how the rod is almost installed and the spring is still arched.

Step 5

The installed guide rod.

You will need to wobble the bolt to get the rod into the barrel.

Just like everything else it will take practice.

I also have a 30 second video that I still need to upload but it's really simple to do so all the new and future 597 owners don't worry.

TS
Old 01-02-2007, 01:13 PM
grandparem
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't stick both ends in when I do it... I just slide the rod in about 1/3 of the way, then start feeding the spring onto it. As more spring is fed on, I hold it with a fingernail on one hand, feed the spring with the other. As more is fed on and held with a fingernail, I push the rod in a little farther. After the spring is all the way on, the rod is almost to the bolt groove. It took longer to write this than to do it. Now, with the magnum and 2 springs on each rod, this probably would be more difficult.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:43 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Grandpa,

That sounds like another good way to install them. I tried every way imaginable and probably your suggestion as well but my fat fingers can't hold onto the springs.

Here is a link to the video I made. It's cheesy....very cheesy...but it explains a bit better than the pictures.

It took me a little over 40 seconds to get them both in but the trial run it took me 33 seconds. It's pretty hard to do this with a camera and tripod between you and the gun.

Plus I wanted to try out my new Digital Camera I bought myself for Christmas. Not only pictures but rather good looking video as well.

TS

Last edited by ToxicSports; 12-30-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 01:58 PM
grandparem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey, that's pretty good.... i got my wife a new digital camera for Christmas... haven't tried the steaming video yet... may have to try it. Got the wife a Sony DSC-W70... 7.2MP, what do you have?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:41 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7. It's only 6.1 mp but it's a HUGE LEAP from the 1.3mp Sony I was using.

I was going to get a digital SLR but since the prices are constantly falling I'll hold off for awhile. I really loved my Canon SLR but Digital is soooo much easier.

TS
Old 01-03-2007, 12:50 PM
redrider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you tried the double springs in the magnums? They are a little tricky.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:50 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
redrider,

Nope, I don't have a magnum.

I have seen the pictures comparing both the 22lr and magnum receivers and internal parts but I have never seen them on a guide rail.

Do the smaller springs sit inside the longer springs?

TS
Old 01-04-2007, 08:39 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
a smaller spring nested inside a larger spring.

Ahhh I see now. Let me give this a thought and see what I can come up with. I might be able to help the magnum guys out.

Quote:
Have you taken a good look at the sear spring?
I looked at it but never really wanted to mess with it. It seems to me it's just a backup spring to ensure the sear will catch the hammer.

I recall a post about a member drilling a hole in the area and adding a screw or something so he could adjust the tension. Anyone else remember the post?

I'll examine the spring. Maybe a lighter spring is in order? Then again, maybe I'll try my hand at the adjustable spring mod if I could ever find the post again.

TS
Old 01-04-2007, 11:33 PM
grandparem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicSports View Post
I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7. It's only 6.1 mp but it's a HUGE LEAP from the 1.3mp Sony I was using.

I was going to get a digital SLR but since the prices are constantly falling I'll hold off for awhile. I really loved my Canon SLR but Digital is soooo much easier.

TS
I'm having a hard time getting into digital because I have 3 Canon manual focus SLRs (A-1, AE-1 and AE-1Prog.) and 7 or 8 lenses... too much wrapped up in film stuff to quit using it. My wife has been going around here with her digital tonight shooting everything in sight .. including me... I think I accidently got in a Beagle pic.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Nopal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TS,

Here you go (third post from the top): https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums....php?p=1139356
Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 AM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nopal,

That's the one, Thanks. I'll examine this a bit further in the near future.

TS
Old 01-05-2007, 12:51 PM
ToxicSports

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok guys,

If I'm visualizing this right the smaller springs sit inside the large springs which acts like a single unit? I'm not sure what they look like exactly since I don't have any. Are they both the same length or is one shorter than the other?

How is everyone (22mag owners) installing them now? one at a time or both together in a similar way I have posted? I.E. already together.

TS
Old 01-05-2007, 05:58 PM
beanfieldrifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great video. Very clear and really works.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An update for those who could possibly find a 597-17 in the future or are still struggling. I have one and tried every way complete with hair pulling, and the wife showed me how in 30 sec. It's exactly Scott's method and the only way without kinking the springs. Nice vid Scott.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 PM
midwayraider
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
video

newby here , i just bought a 597 with camo stock from WALLY WORLD . just wanted to say great video , it helped alot.