Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Hawk
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Raptor / Talon Pics.......

All I can say is WOW... Hipshot is incredible! After he sent me the first prototype of the Raptor, I felt like there were a few changes that needed to be made. Some, based on suggestions from shooters here on RFC and some of my own. Hipshot had done such a great job on the first stock, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. Close, but not quite there. Despite some reservations about offending him, I called Hipshot to discuss the changes. After a couple hours over the phone, and some very rudimentary drawings from me, he got right back to work without any hesitation. I am so grateful for him! I would never have been able to do this without his help.

Attached are the most recent photos of the newest prototype. I have not decided what to name the final stock, although it will definately be either the Raptor or the Talon. Despite my indecision with the name, I can tell you that I am thrilled with the stock itself. It has turned out awesome! I am very excited to share it with you, so....... here you go! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

As always, please feel free to share your thoughts and comments... good or bad. You won't hurt my feelings. At this point, I do not plan on adding any venting of any kind. The only place that would really allow for them would be at the rear of the forearm, and that would be for visual affect only. I do plan on adding some sort of relief on the sides of the forearm however, where the thumb and fingers will rest when holding the stock. Most likely just a horizontal line, just enough to add that final touch.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:45 AM
smokin25

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
all i can say is wow
Old 12-03-2006, 04:29 AM
dads_addiction

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Gorgeous! Sing me up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2006, 12:26 PM
crazyTKDsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to crazyTKDsquirrel Send a message via MSN to crazyTKDsquirrel
I want one!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 01:16 PM
earthdragon090

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
looking realy good like the new angle on the pistol grip. Looks like it will call the hand to it easyer then the first prototype .Like the more rounded look on the front of the cheek rest ,and looks like the cut out area in the butt stock is smaller maybe now I wont stick my big thumb in it lol .realy like the new forend gives it more of a raptor look imho .I like the first prototype and I am realy likeing what I see of the secound good work Hawk and Hipshot ....so when are the first ones for sell going to hit the market any idea what kinda wood you are going to offer ?
earth
Old 12-03-2006, 01:52 PM
K-man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
oh yes, I need one of those, need more overtime too.. excellent work gentlemen.

ADMIN...where's the drooling smiley, I know we should have one...
Old 12-03-2006, 07:03 PM
mscales5

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Send a message via AIM to mscales5 Send a message via Yahoo to mscales5
Looks nice. I liked the version with a little more point on the front of the cheek rest and no swoop on the back. Nice thing about the lam tho is you can always remove material... just can add it. JMO.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:28 PM
BillB
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful!

Just Beautiful

Regards BillB
Old 12-03-2006, 07:45 PM
RebelSquirrel

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Howabout a slight beaver-tail on the forearm..... would kinda smooth things out up front and take away from the "blocky" appearance it has. The beaver-tailed forearm would blend smoothly with the curves on the cheekpiece. Right now it has those sexy smooth curves all over the rear of the stock, transition to the straight block forearm doesn't seem to fit the style in the rear of the stock. Just my opinion, not the Gospel.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:01 PM
ChargerTom
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This version is a winner. I love the lines. That cheekrest rocks, and the thumbrest is perfect. I love the foreend too. Exposes just enough of the barrel. Being nice and flat it should ride the bags nicely, and since I'm sure it's pretty light it should also make a good walk around stock.

Looks like you covered all the bases.

Are we going to get to see this one painted?
Old 12-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Rod G.
Emergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Raptor

I hope you'll consider a lefty version. I'd go for one of those. I also love the fore end.

Rod G.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Hawk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelSquirrel View Post
Howabout a slight beaver-tail on the forearm..... would kinda smooth things out up front and take away from the "blocky" appearance it has. The beaver-tailed forearm would blend smoothly with the curves on the cheekpiece. Right now it has those sexy smooth curves all over the rear of the stock, transition to the straight block forearm doesn't seem to fit the style in the rear of the stock. Just my opinion, not the Gospel.
Oooooh... I like that suggestion. I think you might be on to something there.

Dan
Old 12-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have to agree... it looks like two different halves pinned together. All the unusual compound angles on the rear are not carried over in the forearm at all. And are you married to that deep dish cheek piece?

While it is a very good looking piece, it is not finished. When I look at it I still see a work in progress.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:24 PM
stsbuyer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
I have to agree... it looks like two different halves pinned together. All the unusual compound angles on the rear are not carried over in the forearm at all. And are you married to that deep dish cheek piece?

While it is a very good looking piece, it is not finished. When I look at it I still see a work in progress.
Markbo,

I have to agree, I was ready for one until I saw that dished cheek piece. For me I don't understand the need for the deep forend. That is it being so much deeper than in the magazine area. If I wanted to use this for a Silhouette stock I would have to know that the forend in no deeper that 2-1/4" for the center line of the bore. If it is I would need to have it cut down, not much of a problem if the stock does not come finished. But if Hawk's intention is to sell finished drop in stocks then I am in trouble.

Later, Paul
Old 12-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Hipshot
Law Enforcement Officer UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsbuyer View Post
Markbo,

I have to agree, I was ready for one until I saw that dished cheek piece. For me I don't understand the need for the deep forend. That is it being so much deeper than in the magazine area. If I wanted to use this for a Silhouette stock I would have to know that the forend in no deeper that 2-1/4" for the center line of the bore. If it is I would need to have it cut down, not much of a problem if the stock does not come finished. But if Hawk's intention is to sell finished drop in stocks then I am in trouble.

Later, Paul
Paul,

Evidently my photos have failed to convey the actual proportions of the stock. The drop from the centerline of the bore at the deepest point in front of the magazine well is just a hair under 2". The offset from the belly of the stock is 3/8". Out of curiosity I just checked these dimensions on my Fajen silhouette stock....They are very close to the same. I also checked my Barracuda stock. It is just a hair under 2-1/4".

Markbo,

The depth of the dish in the cheekrest is 1/4" at the deepest point. The angle of some of the photos tends to foreshorten the length of the cheekrest and increase the apparent depth of the dish.

This is a short stock. The forearm is approximately 1-1/2" shorter than the 10/22 Carbine stock and about 3/4" longer than the Barracuda. The photos show it with an 18" barrel mounted.

This stock is indeed a work in progress. As Dan has stated, he intends to include some kind of relief cuts on the sides of the forearm to provide increased grip security, as well as add visual interest.

Last edited by Hipshot; 12-04-2006 at 07:59 PM.