Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:40 PM
coloradogeezer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
96/22 WMR or 77/22 WMR?

Anyone have or shoot both models? I can get a 96/22 in 22 WMR for $289 brand new. I was actually looking for a 77/22 in 22 WMR initially, but the new ones are about $539 and there aren't too many used ones locally. The only one I saw was $450 with a "reasonably" decent scope, which I Don't need! I have plenty of good ones laying around right now.

My problem is this. My general understanding is that the Ruger 77/22 is certainly a very well built rifle and "looks right" to a lot of us, etc. Problem is, it appears to me.............that they don't exactly have a reputation of being a "tackdriver" by any means. I don't NEED a tack-driver in 22 WMR, but.................I just wonder if I might get just as good of accuracy and trigger pull out of a 96/22 WMR as a 77/22 WMR for a whole lot less money?

I would actually PREFER the 77/22 WMR for it's "appearance" value alone, but.........the price difference is VERY substantial. For the price of the ruger 77/22 WMR, I could easily get a CZ 452 American with MUCH better "out of the box" accuracy for about $200 less, or at least.....almost $200 less.

The 96/22 WMR feels good in the shoulder though, especially for "offhand" shots. Might even possibly consider a 96/17 in 17 HMR.

What is the realistic difference in accuracy of a 96/22 WMR vs 77/22 WMR?

How about the difference in trigger pull of the two models?

Please help me COMPARE them?
Old 10-28-2006, 06:58 PM
M_Phil
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bad rep

The 77/22 gets a bad rep. the local guys who I have known to complain. Bring it upon them selves. You have to find out what ammo they like. The problems that I have seen that are indeed the guns fault, has been barrel to stock fit. A little time with some sand paper and you are off and running. Just my experience. Some may have done both of these to no avail. But I doubt it. I have zero experience with the 96's, sorry.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Bigfoot62
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
As above, no experience with the 96, but my 77/22WMR IS a tack-driver. Like any gun, it likes some ammo better than others. But, I have shot 1" groups at 100 yards. And that's as good as I've ever done with any other rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 01:35 AM
jungleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a Ruger 77/22 magnum vmbz
77/77 magnum blue with wood
96/22 magnum
96/22 lr
I am still in the sighting process with the 77/22's they are ammo sensitive so
I am still trying different ammo. The vmbz had a great trigger but the blue one had a poor trigger. I installed a Timney sear and It is good now,

The 96/22's are great for hunting being light, short, quick second shot etc, but have a trigger pull that is stiff with creep. Ok for hunting but not great for target shooting. I like both types, and am a Savage 99 fan. The 96/22 is a lot like the 99 and was actually designed with the 99 in mind.
Having 5 22's rifles i am debating whether to sell of the 96/22's or not.
Being a Frugal Squirrel I am having a hard time deciding whether to part with something that is paid for and basically a good design,

Last edited by jungleman; 10-29-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 AM
rr1996

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just sold my ruger m77 22wmr. I could not get it to shot a consistent group
after boxes of ammo. yes the ruger is ammo sensive and i never had any confidince in this rifle. I did have the trigger worked on after i went to gander mountain and had the trigger checked and it was at 7 pounds pull, had them take it down to the legal 3 pound pull and that helped alot but still had a problem of bullits floating. I gave up and sold it, but before yesturday went I sold it , I sent the gun back to ruger in the summer and told them what the gun was doing and after 4 weeks and $20 in shipping they sent my gun back and the statment in the box read safety check "ok" was all they said was done to the rifle ,so I'm not a ruger fan any longer and i have a few rugers in my safe. I read alot about this rifle went I first found this web site and 9 out of 10 threads told me to sell it that they themselves couldn't get it to group either.
I think I'm going to buy a CZ. rr1996
Old 12-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Simon6101
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
67% (6)
I have a 77/22 mag with the synthetic stock and like it a lot. It shoots pretty good groups but as stated is ammo sensitive. I was shocked with your prices that you are finding them for. Of couse i have had mine at least 10 years and hadn't priced them lately.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:32 PM
RedFeather

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ammo variablity

Some years ago Rifle magazine did a test of the .22WMR and used a 77/22 as a platform. The writer played around with barrel shims of variying thicknesses to see how minute changes to headspace would affect accuracy. One thing he did discover was the great diveristy in ammo specs between the major companies. Some had thicker rims while others used different bullet dimensions. He concluded that this round differed so much that you had to mostly go with the one brand which worked best more so than trying to build a gun around the general cartridge as you would with a .22 hornet or long rifle.

It is funny how some guns will, generally, perform well with the 22 magnum. One that comes to mind is the Winchester 9422. I know, not a Ruger, but that gun always seem to be blessed in this respect. Only problem is, now that they are no more, you can spend about twice what they used to go for.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:44 PM
drg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 96/22 mag. It's light, quick handling, feels good, and shoots well enough.

The trigger pull was very heavy, but with a little work, I got it down to a crisp 1lb, 6oz. I also polished the action a little and the lever can be operated very quickly.

I haven't shot it enough to break it in, but the groups have been 1/4" - 3/8" at 25 yards and 1/2" - 3/4" at 50 yards. I'm not a good bench shot and my "bench" is just a plastic saw horse so you can take my groups with a grain of salt.

I bought the 96 as a utility gun to keep around in case I needed it (at the time, a racoon was killing all my pigeons). I think that it's just about perfect for what I bought it for and I like it well enough that I almost wish I still hunted with guns.

I haven't shot a 77/22 but it's a beautiful rifle. I think that I would base my decision on whether I wanted a light, quick, lever action carbine or a full size bolt action rifle - then buy one of each. To create an appearance of good sence, I'd buy the cheaper one first.

I think that with any popularly priced product there will be some variation in performance and some tuning may be required.

Have fun,
Dave
Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 PM
whiffelball
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like bolt actions for easy cleaning and boresighting, but I like the feel and handling of lever actions better. I currently have no lever actions, and have owned at least 6 bolt guns, including my 77/17.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:31 PM
armory414

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=jungleman;1192662]
The 96/22 is a lot like the 99 and was actually designed with the 99 in mind.
QUOTE]

I've never shot a 96/22, but have always wanted to get one to build a stock, or reprofile one, so that it had the Savage schnabel. It just doesn't look right to me with a carbine style stock.