Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:28 PM
waterman7474

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Upgraded my 96/22

i've been trying to do something w/ this for a while, upgrade the barrel, new stock, whaterver but there isn't much around that is available for these. so after i put a new barrel on my T, i had it left over and w/ some help from a few people here, they told me what i need to do. i was just worried about working on the stock since i'm not exactly bob villa.

so i had a few margaritas on friday night and decided...........eh, what the hell.

so, out to the work bench and out with the sandpaper. used the wrap around the barrel thing (which aint that easy btw) and chop the end barrel band nub off. head to the hardware store to try and match the stain and realize that isn't gonna be so easy.

so's i see a sander on sale and................eh, what the hell. plus, after the sanding, i really like the way the natural wood looks. so, i take the whole thing down and use a very light stain and varnish.

took the extra extractor out and put it all back together. i'm pretty proud of myself for a first time wood work project.

having a problem w/ the extractor (and will replace) but other than that, it shots pretty nice.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:27 PM
drg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A pat on the back and some questiions

waterman7474, your 96/22T looks great. Have another margarita and show us what else you can do.

I also have a 96/22 that I would like to play with and I have a few questions.
I know that I have seen posts on the 96/22 brfore but I could not find any when I did a search just now.

1) Is the dual extractor set up, on the 96, the only difference between it and the 10/22 barrel? Is the shank the same diameter, length, etc.?

2) Does the 77/22 barrel have 2 extractor slots? Could the 77/22 barrel be used on the 96 with a shim kit?

3) You said that you are having trouble with the single extractor and will replace it. Which extractor has worked for others? Volquartsen? Could I just cut a second extractor groove in the 10/22 barrel and keep the dual extractors? Which is the best way to go?

Thanks for any help you guys ( and gals) can give me. The only work that I have done on guns was trigger jobs on the pistols that I used when used to hunt with hounds. I have not hunted with guns since I took up falconry 20 years ago but I have plenty of room to shoot and I have caught the .22 bug.
Is this going to get expensive?

Dave
Old 06-30-2006, 07:23 PM
dalekg6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Use a 10/22 barrel

The shanks are exactly the same between the 10/22 and 96/22. The only difference is the second extractor on the 96. You can still use the barrel on a 10/22 later if you want, the extra groove doesn't hurt anything.

It's easy to cut the second grove. All you need is a dremil with a cut off wheel, a steady hand and 10 minutes. Put the barrel in the action and get it alighned properly, you don't need to bother with the barrel block at this point. Slowly close the bolt until the extractor touches the barrel. Use a pencil or scrible to mark where the extractor is and the angle. Remember that your mark is on the edge of the extractor, the center of your extractor will be slightly to the side of your mark. Close is close enough, most factory cuts are much larger than they need to be so you have room to adjust things if you are off a bit on your early marks.

Make a small to medium cut, put the barrel back on and check cut location. Keep doing this a little at a time, cut, check, cut, check until you're done. Don't forget you will have to widen the groove as you go but position and alighnment are more important in the early stages.

It's easier to do than to describe. I have two 96's and have done several barrels. Including one today using an 18" bull stainless box of barrels special.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 11:36 PM
drg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks dalekg6

waterman7474,

I like the looks of your stock. What stain did you use?
Have you measured any groups shot with the 96 with the T barrel?
Does the T barrel shoot any different on the 96/22 than when it was on the 10/22?

dalekg6,

Thanks for the info. I think I can do that. Now I just need to find a cheap barrel to practice on.
What barrels have you used on your 96/22s and how did they shoot?

Mine is new and completely stock. The trigger pull is over 6 pounds but surprisingly crisp. It started out shooting 50 yard groups of over 2" but has been tightening up. Today the 50 yard groups ranged from .5" to 1.5" with the average just over 1". This was with Federal Auto Match ammo. This is better than I expected and better than I thought I would be able to shoot at this point.

I guess I am asking a lot of queations but it is what I do when I don't know what I am talking about.

Dave
Old 07-01-2006, 10:10 PM
dalekg6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Long response but since you asked

Hi,

I have one of my 96's set up as a 17HM2. No worries about bolt weight or split cases. With Hornady or CCI ammo it averages 1/2 inch at 50 yds. With Remington or Eley it is a little more. With this one the barrel is one of the Green mountain barrels originally chambered for 17 High Standard. It already had two extractor grooves. I bought a reamer and rechambered for HM2. It didn't shoot to good. I discovered it had about .3 inches of freebore. I have access to a lathe at work. Even though I'm an extreem novice with it I cut 3/4 inches off the back, recut the shank and groove for the barrel block. I rechamberd it again and now get the decent accuracy. The reason I cut 3/4 inches is that I needed to cut at least .3 to get rid of the freebore but that didn't allow installation of the barrel block. By going to 3/4 I had room to cut another barrel block slot. There is a flat spot on the bottom of the barrel on the receiver end from the old slot but it doesn't hurt anything. Also, when I recut the shank I made it very slightly longer than normal and now the bolt is tight on the barrel and there is minimum head space. I had to cut two extractor grooves once the other work was done. Again, by hand with a dremil.

My other 96 is set up a a 22. I've only shot it on paper once and it averaged slightly under an inch at 50 yds with a large assortment of ammo using an el-cheapo 3x9 scope. Some types of ammo grouped close to 1/2 inch. That was with a 20" GM barrel in which I had cut the second extractor groove. I've since installed a 18" GM stainless barrel but haven't shot it yet. Again, I had to cut the second groove. If it shoots decently I'll take it to work and cut the shank a 1000th or so longer to tighten up the head space.

Also, on both of my 96's I modified the stock. I added sprap wood to the to and left side to put my eye in better position for scope use and added a recoil pad to lengthen the length of pull. The stocks are noow painted. For the triggers I stoned them down a bit and used a trigger return spring for a 10/22. That gives me a trigger pull much better than stock.

Dale
Old 07-02-2006, 05:59 AM
drg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dale

Thanks for the report on the performance of your 96s and what you did to get them there. I also was thinking that the 96 might be the easy way to do a HM2.

I had just started wondering about head spacing. Your solution sounds good to me.

I was glad to read that the 10/22 trigger return spring fit the 96. The trigger will have to be the first thing that I work on so that I can get a better idea of how the stock barrel shoots. I never could shoot anything with a heavy trigger.

Again thanks. This is all good stuff.

Dave