Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Hipshot
Law Enforcement Officer UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Morphosis Grows Up

My son is 6'8" tall. He has never owned a rifle that really fit him. His birthday is coming up....So, what do I get him? Well, he really likes my recently completed Morphosis stock and already has a 10/22 that he has been wanting to hotrod....So I'll just build a scaled up version of the Morphosis stock to fit him.

I got out my full size drawing of the original and extended the butt stock by 2 inches for a 16" length of pull. Now the forearm looks too short, so I extended it by one inch. Now the cheek rest looks too small, so I extended it by one inch also. That's better...now everything is back in proportion. Well, almost everything. The 18" barrel of the original Morphosis now looks too stubby. Gotta go with a 20" tube. OK, go with a fluted barrel....that'll save 6 ounces or so. It may still say 10/22 CARBINE on the receiver, but don't let that fool you. This thing is definitely a rifle now.

I borrowed an action with a 20" fluted barrel just to check out the proportions and balance. I still have to finish sanding it out and apply the finish. The How-to details on this one are exactly the same as in the original Morphosis thread. It did go a little faster this time, however, since I knew where I was going with it.

Here are a couple of shots showing the comparative size to the original Morphosis.

One more shot showing a perspective view. Long butt stock.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:31 PM
WiLieR[SS]
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to WiLieR[SS]
Just as with the original, I am at a loss for words Hipshot! Excellent work yet again! Any hints on the finish?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:32 PM
cz452shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That looks GREAT!!! thus far

Looks like it will fit your son well.

Are you going with the same Dupli-color Mirage Gold/Magenta look again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Hipshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks Will and CZ for the compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiLieR[SS]
............... Any hints on the finish?
Well, since this is not going to be a surprise gift to him, I'm letting him pick the finish. No firm decision yet, but he doesn't seem to be leaning toward any of the Duplicolor Mirage colors.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:42 PM
WiLieR[SS]

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to WiLieR[SS]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
Well, since this is not going to be a surprise gift to him, I'm letting him pick the finish. No firm decision yet, but he doesn't seem to be leaning toward any of the Duplicolor Mirage colors.
That's a shame, the Morphosis design really looks good in the color shift colors. If he decides on a non-shift paint, at least get him to agree to some ghost flames. That would definately look hot on that style stock.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:42 PM
SimonFencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to SimonFencer
Another 10 out of 10. Does your son know about it?

Paul
Old 05-14-2006, 11:51 PM
SQUAWSACH

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
stock

The stock looks great. 6'8", what did you feed that boy? I'm sure he will be happy to have a rifle that fits and it's a Hipshot custom. Not many people can say they own one of those. Gives him braging rights.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Hipshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUAWSACH
The stock looks great. 6'8", what did you feed that boy? I'm sure he will be happy to have a rifle that fits and it's a Hipshot custom. Not many people can say they own one of those. Gives him braging rights.
He has always tried to stay on a strict meat and potatoes diet. I made him eat a couple of brussel spouts about 25 years ago. We laugh about it now, but he didn't think it was funny at the time.

Yeah, he will have the only Hipshot custom I've ever let loose. He's a good man, well worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonFencer
Another 10 out of 10. Does your son know about it?
Well, Paul, I got it built for him on the sly, but I had to show it to him to make sure it fit and to try to decide on a finish.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:50 AM
shooter05
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
looks perfect again! Nice job duplicating you work! It always feels great to see that first look on your sons face when you give them a gift like that. I'm sure he'll treasure it forever.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:13 AM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Outstanding work

I don't think I can say anything else, I would love to have some of the talents here on RFC

Clint
Old 05-15-2006, 12:50 PM
RonSC
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hipshot;.... You've done it AGAIN!

You definitely have a gift my friend.

The clean lines and the 'flow' of your stock designs put many of the commercial stocks to shame. I know I've said this about the first 'morphosis' stock but it bares REPEATING.. IMO if you were of the mind to have this design duplicated commercially, folks would be standing in line to buy them! I'm strictly a 'bolt guy' BUT if this design were available for purchase I'd HAVE to have add 10/22 to my aresenal! VERY VERY well excecuted!! I can just
picture this stock in in a high-grade W A L N U T...

Ron
Old 05-15-2006, 05:51 PM
SimonFencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to SimonFencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSC
hipshot;.... You've done it AGAIN!

You definitely have a gift my friend.

The clean lines and the 'flow' of your stock designs put many of the commercial stocks to shame. I know I've said this about the first 'morphosis' stock but it bares REPEATING.. IMO if you were of the mind to have this design duplicated commercially, folks would be standing in line to buy them! I'm strictly a 'bolt guy' BUT if this design were available for purchase I'd HAVE to have add 10/22 to my aresenal! VERY VERY well excecuted!! I can just
picture this stock in in a high-grade W A L N U T...

Ron
What Ron said....except I would want a laminate one to have Tuck work some of his magic on.

Paul
Old 05-15-2006, 05:59 PM
rigrat
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via Yahoo to rigrat
Outstanding just as with the first one! Would love to have half the talent you do Hipshot.

Sawdust and you where my first inspiration, now guess I will have to work on getting another 10/22 so I can try my hand at a Morphosis imitation.

Great work can't wait to see what the next one will be like!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Hipshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Morphosis II

That's what I'm calling this rifle. It's got a 20" SS fluted GM barrel, VQ hammer, mag release and bolt handle plus most of the standard RFC improvements inside. I bedded and floated the barrel following MKnarr's excellent how-to sticky.

Here are a few shots of it with it's new paint job. Duplicolor Metal Specks in Retro Red...about 10 coats of Duplicolor clear...wet sanded with 800 grit after the fourth and eight coat...then rubbed out with automotive rubbing compound, polishing compound and waxed.

Here is a couple of shots comparing the original Morphosis with the grown up version.

Topped off with a honking big Mueller Silver Eraticator 8.5-25 x 50 mm scope from Dennis at Mizzou Mule Guns. Did I mention that it was delivered on the third day after I ordered it?....Anchorage, Alaska to central Florida....now that's fast.

It's mounted in silver Burris Sig Zee rings. I used the Pos-Align insert kit and it's optically centered within 1" of POI at 50 yards.

Last edited by Hipshot; 06-07-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:26 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Personally I think that stock would also work as a bolt action. Why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk