Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-04-2006, 05:22 PM
TLARbb
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
CZ 452 .22 Mag feed problem..

I know some other folks have had feed issues, particularly with the .22 mag rifles. I shot my new American today for the first time. It is going to be fine except for feeding issues.

My issue seems to be different from issues I have seen from the search I did before I decided to post this. The first two rounds from the 5 shot factory metal magazine will not feed, striking the bottom of the chamber as best as I can tell. The last three rounds will always feed properly. So, right now I have a 3 shot magazine. The ammo in use at the time was Federal Champion 40gr FMJ.

I did take the magazine apart and it appears that it was properly assembled. So, leave it to me to find a problem no one else has encountered.

I am pretty sure it is a minor issue, but I don't want to send this rifle back to CZ if I can help it.

I will also try some different ammo to see if any of the other types will feed properly. More on this later.

I have got to get to the range so I can give it a proper accuracy test.

Other than the first two rounds out of the magazine, it seems to handle well and the trigger, though a little creepy is reallly not to bad for a factory gun.

Regards,
EJ
Old 03-04-2006, 06:04 PM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Take the stock off the rifle. Now (being carefull) feed some rounds; you can better see whats going on.

Might try taking the mag well off and putting it back on see if repostioning it makes any difference.
Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:19 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quick update...

The Remington V-max all feed fine. I guess the sharp spitzer point on this bullet is just enough to make it function.

I tried the following all with the same results, first two rounds will strike the bottom edge of the chamber and not feed:
Federal Game-Shok 30 hp
Remington 40gr psp
Remington 40gr jhp
Winchester Supreme JHP (got one extra round to feed with this)

Since the last 3 will always feed, I think one of two things are the problem or a combination of the two.

1) Magazine spring tension is causing the first two rounds to drag more and the nose of the cartridge is pointed slightly down.

2) There is a burr on the edge of the chamber which is "biting"into the nose of the bullets and preventing the proper feed into the chamber.

Before I go messing with anything, please provide your comments as to what you would recommend I do with this issue.

EJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2006, 06:26 PM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Thanks for the feedback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbent
Take the stock off the rifle. Now (being carefull) feed some rounds; you can better see whats going on.

Might try taking the mag well off and putting it back on see if repostioning it makes any difference.
Good Luck!
Thanks, I'll do that. I didn't see your post until after I had made my last post. I was fiddling with all this ammo to try the feed.

I did notice that the mag spring does not look like the drawing in the manual. The coils in my mag look like this:

/
\
/
\
/
\

And the drawing looks like this:
/
\
/
\
/
\
/

The mag follower does not look like the drawing either. I did try to turn it around, but it obviously will not fit the other way. Or, if it will it is not obvious to me.

EJ
Old 03-05-2006, 02:59 AM
Nick Bangkok

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Uphill... you're a professor ? Very nice illustration.
This might just cure many cases of the feeding problem.

Sorry, may I add a question off-topic... how do you remove the bolt of your gun with the Timney trigger unit ?
Old 03-05-2006, 06:55 AM
TLARbb

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Uphill Warrior:

I was able to use your illustration and a pair of pliers and adjust my mag follower such that now all five cartridges feed properly. It took a little trial and error. If bent too much the follower will not support the rim properly and the last cartridge will not load with the bolt riding over the top of the rim.

So, the other folks that have seen that problem may need to go the other way on the follower.

Many thanks for taking the time to disassemble your two magazines and post the illustration. You have allowed me to increase my magazine capacity by 67%!!

EJ
Old 03-05-2006, 08:24 AM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Thumbs up Stickie??

This should be a stickie at the top of the cz forum....
Old 03-05-2006, 11:41 AM
SRB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An idea, perhaps we could determine a way to measure the correct angle that the follower should be and post?????
Old 03-05-2006, 12:27 PM
ALS
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up uphill warrier

uphill warrior,

That is an excellent post! I was having the opposite problem. The shells were pointing up too high. I only have one mag and was unable to see anything wrong after repeated disassembly. o

This thread should definitely be a sticky, and is a really good example of why you should be a RFC supporter. I get ten times the information from this forum than I do from any gun magazine.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:33 PM
ALS
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just saw that my team RFC had expired, so I took the time to update it.

Last edited by ALS; 03-05-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had the same problem with my CZ also with TNT. The gun shoots V-Max better so it wasn't too big of an issue and figured I'd look into it more closely when shooting season starts back up soon. Looks as thought the problem has been identified and solved with UW's post. (Thanks) I think my first attempt would have been to stretch the spring a little to apply more force but will do the follower trick instead.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:29 AM
jorg20057000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i had a problem with mine feeding changed the magazine and had the bridge port raised by a gun smith feeds beutiful now can load magazines righ up now
Old 03-17-2006, 04:32 AM
vmaxx

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Uphill

Great job of trouble shooting the feeding problem. Good to have you here at RFC and Good shooting to ya
Old 04-21-2006, 02:18 PM
shootinIdoc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
. 22 WMR mags

I just bought one yesterday and was given an extra mag by my local shop. One worked the other no, so I read this thread and did the described modification and both work perfectly. Already this forum has been a greater help than half the others I use. Oh, it is a 452 FS that I have not shot yet, but will today if no rain or Sunday.

Thank you for the help.

Idoc
Old 08-01-2006, 05:06 PM
BillyRam

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a new 452 American in .22 mag that didn't have the magazine problem but didn't feed smoothly. I had to use more force than I liked to feed a round in the chamber. After removing the bolt and pushing a round up into the bolt face the extractors would snag on the case walls. So I removed the extractors and used stones to smooth and polish. I would squease the extractors in the bolt with my fingers and try a case till I got them to snap in smoothly. Now it feeds smooth with very lite force and the round snaps fully in the bolt face with every round. I bought a spare magazine and it feeds just as smoothly.
Billy