Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Accuracy issues and keyholing?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  RedShift556 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought this 22/45 back in 2012 with the intention to suppress it. Pretty much out of the box I was disappointed with it. Poor accuracy and what to me seemed to be slight keyholing. I tried a bunch of different ammo and several deep cleanings of the bore and nothing worked. I sent it back to Ruger in maybe early 2013 and they sent it right back saying everything was fine. After that, I put it in the back of my safe and forgot about it.

Well almost 10 years later I've gotten bitten by the .22 bug again and decided to figure this out with the hopes of finally suppressing it. I put 40rds through it today and sure enough poor groups and what looks like a bit of keyholing.

These groups are from 7ish yards. Center group was more of a just finish the mag type of group but you can see the keyholing well in that group. Regardless, the other groups and terrible when compared to the several other Ruger MKII and MKIII's I've shot. This one just seems to pattern with very little consistency.

See less See more
#11 ·
Shoot it at 20 yards or so and if the bullets are going to keyhole they should at that distance. Take pictures of the target and send that along with the guns serial number to Ruger and ask for help.
Yep! you'll get better keyholes farther out, not that you want this.........!

If its keyholing, something is very wrong.

#12 ·
Keyholing is caused by there being insufficient spin on the bullet—and as there is pretty short list of possible causes—figuring out the problem should be fairly easy.

You''ve eliminated worn lands and lead build-up, so about all that leaves is a defective crown. Pay attention to Racer X's suggestion,and check for deformations left by poor machining or mechanical abuse.

#13 ·
Yep, defective crown is the most likely culprit. But I've also read reports of problems caused by poorly formed thread protectors.

It might also be worth slugging the barrel. Gently pry a bullet from a round by rocking it back and forth. Then push it thru the bore with a jag from the chamber end. Use a rod that can rotate in the handle and watch the rod. It should have equal resistance and spin the entire bore length. Inspect the slugged bullet for even rifling depth as well.

Something is bound to be revealed between these two checks.

#14 ·
Bit of an update, I think you guys may have been onto something with the crown. It had some suspect looking machining marks that I guess are called chattering. Didn't take any pics but I wound up finding this:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Ruger_Mk_III_22_45_accuracy_is_bad____or_is_it_me_/50-128225/

A guy from 2012 with the same problem, same model, from the exact same time period I bought this MKIII. Looks like the targets he posted also show some slight keyholing.

Anyways, after seeing the chatter marks and coming across that thread I called Ruger and sent it back again.

#15 · (Edited)
Glad you were able to find a solution. I guessed the crown as well. I'm sure Ruger will take care of you.

When you get it back get some good ammo to test again. All my guns love CCI Blazers and shoot them better than the expensive stuff. If it doesn't shoot Mini Mags well there's something wrong with it.

Anxious to see pictures of the gun and your targets when you get it back.

Good luck and good shooting

Steven

#16 ·
UPDATE:

Well, I got a ship notification from Ruger so I gave them a call to see what their fix was. I was told once again that they couldn't replicate the issue with their ammo, and it was on it's way back to me. I told them about the thread from AR15.com and said I wanted to email the link to the tech that worked on my pistol, but the CS rep said that she'd escalate it to her supervisor instead and gave me her email address so she could forward it.

So I typed out an email explaining the situation, and the link to the thread that documents another 2012 MKIII 22/45 having the exact same issues. Got the pistol in the mail a couple of days later sadly, but I shot another email to the CS rep and heard back that her supervisor was looking into it.

A few minutes later I got a phone call and was told that they're sending me another RMA and shipping label to send the pistol back, and that I'll be getting a new MKIV Tactical to replace it.

Super happy, I had already been eyeing the MKIV tactical and really liked the aluminum frame and new features. I handled a MKIV standard at a local gun store today and really dug the grip angle and fit and finish. It felt way better in my hand that my old MKIII 22/45, so I know I'm going to love the replacement.:bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.