Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:14 PM
No1_49er

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester 62 Gallery 1958 NIB

I know that it's a rather old design, but I've never ventured into the world of pump-action rifles.
What would a NIB, 1958 model 62 (22 Short) be worth? I've tried searches of the usual places but have not seen anything recent.
And being NIB, it would probably remain unfired. One shot - it's used.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:00 AM
jerryray
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Two years ago I paid $900 for a 98-99% 62 in .22 short. No box. I think I got a good deal but had to make an instant decision and took a chance. I'm glad I bought it. You don't see them too often. Make sure it has the triangular loading port.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:22 PM
Artos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I see asking prices of $2500 - $3000 for mint gallery guns. The smooth bores bring crazy money.

61's & 62's are an absolute hoot to shoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 12:22 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryray View Post
Two years ago I paid $900 for a 98-99% 62 in .22 short. No box. I think I got a good deal but had to make an instant decision and took a chance. I'm glad I bought it. You don't see them too often. Make sure it has the triangular loading port.
If I ran across one in that condition at that price, I would have jumped all over it, also.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:51 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
God I yearn for the days of past when you could open a new Winchester box and get that wonderful smell of the walnut stock.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:49 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As Twobit can tell you, be very careful about "NIB" guns. Here lately there seems to be a rash of them, and many are fakes. I'm not saying the seller is dishonest, as sometimes they are fooled by other dishonest folks. It could still be a real deal, but if priced above about $2,000, I would insist that an expert check it out first.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:58 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
As Twobit can tell you, be very careful about "NIB" guns. Here lately there seems to be a rash of them, and many are fakes. I'm not saying the seller is dishonest, as sometimes they are fooled by other dishonest folks. It could still be a real deal, but if priced above about $2,000, I would insist that an expert check it out first.
EXACTLY THIS! About the most faked rifle is a Winchester. Most
Gallery rifles are beat to heck. There are no factory records for these rifles so the dirtbags run wild.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:04 PM
No1_49er

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, so if it is indeed pristine, and in its original box (NIB), just what will the "expert" be checking?
Old 03-03-2020, 08:31 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I certainly don't qualify as an expert on anything, but a real expert could probably tell by looking at the loading port, crown, rollmarks, bluing, stock finish, etc, etc. Before sinking too much money, you might request a factory letter that would tell you if the serial numbers on the receiver indicated that it did indeed start out as a gallery model.
Sometimes the fakers make the rifles look a little too good. After all, these were regular production rifles, not custom grade masterpieces.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:11 AM
jag2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My suggestion would be to post who is selling it and get some pics. This forum doesn't know all the fakers, but a whole lot of them, and they generally know the better dealers. I would do that before wasting any time on an inspection.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:44 AM
Artos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Unfortunately Winchester letters are not available due to a fire...you can never say never with winchester, as you could special order a gun with certain particulars that were not standard options.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:44 AM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Best person I ever knew at spotting fakes was Mr. Larry Shennum. Berts friend. I saw him in action at a Reno Gun Show and man, was I impressed. Big Larry
Old 03-06-2020, 02:50 PM
bgl0b6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a probably unfired 1958 62A,no telling for sure.I bought it from a friend of mine last year for $750.,no box.His dad bought it new and is now in a nursing home.Prices seemed all over the place when we looked,its not a short,and no box,but still real nice.I know the family,know its real,and its mine....
Old 03-06-2020, 06:05 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post

Be very careful. These (along with it's cousin the 61) are one of the favorite guns to redo into a fake.....and I've seen a number of them. A lot of the guns I see at big show like the Tulsa show have been redone; some to the point where it can be hard to tell they are not original. While most sellers are honest and will tell you the gun is not original, some are not so forthcoming. Depending on price, i would be leery without some sort of provenance. If it's cheap enough, I might take a chance......