LGS buying guns - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:40 PM
Rstreib
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
LGS buying guns

Wanted to ask if anyone knows about how much LGS may offer for used guns versus how much they will sell it for. Is there a percentage or do they offer the least they think a seller will take? My results in the past have been mediocre offerings on what I had to sell.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The offers are as varied as the color of hair on a college canpus now.

I had a store offer me $200 for a shotgun. Sold it privately for $800. So they wabt big margins. Two other local stores have told me straight, one store will pay you $100 less than the firearm would sell for on gunbroker. The other will pay $50 less than he thinks he can sell it for.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:24 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would say half or less if you are lucky. Gunbroker is the way to go to get market value but then you have to collect FFL info and ship which is not that bad in most states. California has made it a hassle for inbound shipments but doesn't give a rip for out bound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 08:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always sell on consignment, as it goes for market value-ish and the store takes 20%. Not ideal, but easy, and I finish up with more than if they bought it outright.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:59 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Had a few friends who had a small shop back in the day, they never payed 60% of what they thought they could move it for. Not a desirable or hot selling item, expect less.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
It does vary widely.

My LGS do consignment for me. My old friend, who passed away over a year ago did it for 10%. The new LGS that I use charges 15%. 20% seems high to me since they have no money invested in the sale.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:46 PM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
It does vary widely.

My LGS do consignment for me. My old friend, who passed away over a year ago did it for 10%. The new LGS that I use charges 15%. 20% seems high to me since they have no money invested in the sale.
15-30% for consignment sales with the lgs's around here, about double that if they buy it outright from you. Average is about 20% for consignment sale---remember that they are bringing the serial number into their FFL books, using their retail space, sales staff and time to sell it---none of that is free. That is the price you are paying for the convenience of having them sell it for you or for you to be able to sell it immediately.

Trading it in for another gun at the lgs has always gotten me better deals than just selling it or consigning as it was usually just a 5-10% loss of value. Selling it yourself is the best cash option. Although I remember one S&W revolver, it stung to see them list it for double what they gave me in trade in, but it took them almost a year to sell it to a much larger customer base than what was available to me. I still got what was comparable to full selling price on gunbroker on that trade at the time so I really cant complain.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfshoon View Post
15-30% for consignment sales with the lgs's around here, about double that if they buy it outright from you. Average is about 20% for consignment sale---remember that they are bringing the serial number into their FFL books, using their retail space, sales staff and time to sell it---none of that is free. That is the price you are paying for the convenience of having them sell it for you or for you to be able to sell it immediately.

Trading it in for another gun at the lgs has always gotten me better deals than just selling it or consigning as it was usually just a 5-10% loss of value. Selling it yourself is the best cash option. Although I remember one S&W revolver, it stung to see them list it for double what they gave me in trade in, but it took them almost a year to sell it to a much larger customer base than what was available to me. I still got what was comparable to full selling price on gunbroker on that trade at the time so I really cant complain.
Consignment comes with opportunity cost for the retailer. The customer is less likely to buy one of the retailers inventory.

Trade in also lowers the taxable sale price so that 5-10% may be covered.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:32 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
I bought a brand new Remington 11-87 once, from a LGS... never took it out of the box, and went to trade it back to them a week later for a different shotgun, and keep in mind, I just bought this gun from them for $750.00. They offered me $275.00 for it. I never did business with the gun store ever again. They will rob you blind if you let them.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:12 AM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A friend in the used musical instrument business told me that his rule of thumb was to buy for 50% of what he thought he could get for it. I would imagine it's similar with firearms, as with most other used items.

As others have said, your best bet is to sell it yourself -- online gives you the best exposure. Second choice is consignment. Third choice is a trade-in. Selling it to a retail outlet is dead last.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:45 AM
Bladeswitcher

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
When I owned a pawnshop/FFL I typically offered about 50-60 percent of what I thought the gun would realistically bring. IMO, that's a reasonable offer from the reseller's perspective. He/she is assuming risk (stolen gun, undisclosed mechanical issues, etc.), plus the FFL has overhead costs and must make the effort to sell the gun. The FFL may see his money sit on the rack for quite a while before he gets a return on his investment.

If the seller wants to receive top dollar, then THEY can do all the work and spend the money to attract retail buyers. When a seller expects close to retail value for a quick TODAY sale, they're being unrealistic. They want top dollar, they can find a buyer and get the thing sold. Advertise it locally and deal with tire kickers, post it on gunbroker, etc. They'll quickly learn there are costs and effort required to sell a gun.

All that said, a seller will do better in a more competitive market. Again, when I had my shop I always knew I was competing against the other FFL buyers in town. If I tried low-balling a seller, they would likely just head down the street and sell elsewhere.

Sellers should shop the gun around. Take it to every pawn and gun shop in town and get an offer from each. Sell where you get the best price . . . or decide to maximize your return by selling it yourself.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:46 AM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Resale value................

My LGS will only pay slightly less than what wholesale price would be and that is for a gun in the box with all accessories and paperwork. Rather than selling items outright, I do better to trade on another gun or item. That usually works best for both parties. On the rare occasion that I simply want to get rid of a gun I put it there on consignment. The shop usually gets about 10% of the selling price. In my experience, pawn shops seem to be stingier and will only pay about one fourth of the real value. I was at a local pawn shop one day when a customer walked in with a briefcase full of Colt pistols and revolvers. He pawned the entire lot for $800 and then never came back to get them out of pawn. I bought two of the Colts, a Model 1903 (.32) and an Officers Model revolver (.22) for a total of $900! And the shop still had 4 or 5 other Colts to sell! Such a deal!
Old 11-21-2019, 08:39 AM
Tailwheel

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I bought a brand new Remington 11-87 once, from a LGS... never took it out of the box, and went to trade it back to them a week later for a different shotgun, and keep in mind, I just bought this gun from them for $750.00. They offered me $275.00 for it. I never did business with the gun store ever again. They will rob you blind if you let them.
Similar experience. So i don't sell to gun stores, or trade to gun stores. I sell on GB or through my network of pals or forums.

Patrick
Old 11-21-2019, 08:57 AM
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At our store the policy is that we will try to determine what we can sell the item for, and offer the seller 60% of that amount for a cash out, or 70% for a trade toward a purchase. Sales tax is charged on the difference, so that is an additional 7.25% value to the customer. We explain that to the seller before an offer is made, and I share with them what I believe our retail price will be for the firearm. I don't feel even a little bit bad when they decline to sell a gun to us.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:03 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
15% is the best I can do here which I think quite reasonable. The only other place which was highway robbery just closed their doors for good.