Ever seen this before? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Ever seen this before?

Never seen this before but I discovered one of my internal lenses in my Burris 7X IER scope had cracks on the edge. Not sure what could cause this? The scope shows no marks from being in the rings. I thought this was the only pressure that might have caused something like this but it would surely take some severe misalignment for something like this to occur.

The scope was only used on two different Contender Super 14s in 223. So fairly mild recoil. The scope is at Burris now , thank goodness for the lifetime warranty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a burris 7x crack.jpg (134.1 KB, 183 views)
Old 02-21-2019, 07:50 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four52 shooter View Post
.....thank goodness for the lifetime warranty!
Amen! How did it come to your attention?
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Amen! How did it come to your attention?
Initially there was another issue that I noticed where the internal AO tension spring was protruding on one side almost into the field of view or so it appeared. I shined a light through the scope to see the if the spring blocked any light and that is when I noticed the cracked lens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 11:30 PM
karls42

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
They might not be cracks as such. some lenses are "doublets" (two elements glued together) they will sometimes separate at the edges due to age or stress.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Use a smaller hammer when you tap the turrets after making +hair adjustments.
Stuff happens. The glass looks like it's chipping out.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:57 AM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I have found 3 Leupolds like that. Looked like a couple of small chips along the edge of the lens. On close inspection they appeared to be between layers of glass or on the internal surface edge. Both were probably 25 years old and the chips could have been age related as there was no apparent damage to the metal part of scopes. Then I looked close at another older 6.5-20 AO Leupold on my Remington 541T silhouette blaster and I see the start of a similar chip on it. I have owned that one since new and it is maybe 30 years old. No damage to metal. I sent the M8 12X AO and it was rebuilt under warranty. The 6.5-20 AO was replaced with a new version. The other will probably go back when I get around to sending it. All AO scopes! Coincidence?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Both were probably 25 years old and the chips could have been age related as there was no apparent damage to the metal part of scopes.
My 7X Burris was bought new sometime in the mid 1990s so mine is right at the 25 year mark as well. I also have a Burris 2x-7x handgun scope with AO right about the same age and I checked it too and everything looks good.