Testing out BScar's 2-Stage Trigger - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:52 PM
A-Rob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
BScar's 2-Stage Trigger - weight update pg 2

Back in this post, https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1144183, BScar discussed a new 2-stage 455 trigger that he developed after being disappointed with the Fly trigger. Well, I have one in hand right now for testing thanks to BScar and I will be putting it through its paces and reporting back as I use it.

First, let me say that this is one smooth trigger. The 1st stage is perfectly smooth until it hits the second stage wall. Unlike the Fly, there is a real wall there and then a break. It breaks like the proverbial glass rod with zero creep. One of the many problems with the Fly was the creep. If I adjusted the creep out of mine, it was not safe. Engaging the safety and quickly removing it would cause mine to fire and it would not pass the mildest bump test.

I asked BScar to set the trigger as light as possible. I haven't measured it yet, but total pull weight has to be just a few ounces. Here's the best part: I took a mallet and beat on the action like crazy and no matter what, it would not fire. Engaging and disengaging the safety over and over caused no problems. This thing is safe, as long as it is adjusted correctly.

That leads me to the next observation, this trigger is highly adjustable. That is great, but you have to take your time to understand exactly what the adjustments do. For example, this is a true 2 stage trigger. If you watch BScar's video you can see that when the trigger is at rest, the sear and support have a good bit of overlap. This is what keeps it safe. When you pull through the first stage, the support moves back until the 2nd stage wall is hit. At that point it is ready to fire and the sear is resting on a razor thin edge. If adjusted correctly, if you remove your finger from the trigger, the support slides back to its original starting point, making the trigger safe again. If you tinker with it, however, you can create a situation where the support doesn't slide back into place and it's not safe. This is not a design flaw, it's just the nature of a highly adjustable, precise trigger.

Anyway, I didn't intend to write a book but the reason I have this trigger is to test it thoroughly. BScar asked that I pound on it and report the good and the bad, and that's what I'll be doing. From what I've seen so far, this very well may be the solution to the 455's biggest weakness. The best 2 stage triggers that I've used have been the Kidd and a Geissele National Match. This is right there with them and possibly crisper, based on my day one test.

IMG_20190109_201234.jpg

Last edited by A-Rob; 01-14-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:22 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the report. Although the 455 is now discontinued, this trigger may be an attractive choice for those who are seeking a replacement for the original factory trigger or some of the more widely available replacement triggers that may not meet their requirements. CZ's Mr Fly trigger, for example, seems to have mixed reviews. The Langley trigger, available within the last year, is another trigger with which many report great satisfaction as a top-of-the-line replacement for the CZ 455.

Is the BScar trigger available for sale?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:43 AM
A-Rob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have no idea if BScar has any plans to make any for sale. The Langley is the go-to for all those who want a single stage benchrest trigger from everything I've read. I think this trigger would be a perfect choice for PRS or other discipline competitors. There are a bunch of shooters who use 455's in competitions, many who have well over $1k in their rifle, and a good 2-stage has always been missing. Look at Matsterpiece Arms' MPA 22BA rifle, for example. It is a rebarreled 455 in their chassis and it sells for $1699. The trigger is a $30 Yo Dave mod. If I just spent close to that amount on a rifle and I had another option for the trigger, I'd jump at it

Old 01-10-2019, 07:29 AM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
I like the Mr flytrigger, Here's a you tube showing how to take the 1st stage out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR6iopSTN9w This guy like his too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2VydyxM-Ws
Old 01-10-2019, 07:47 AM
A-Rob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I posted a long time back about my Fly experience. I probably spent a solid day working with it. I was able to get it set up as a measured 4 ounce single stage, but my issue was that I didn't buy a single stage trigger. It was advertised as a 2 stage and it was not effective in that role. As a single stage, Mine would not pass a bump test without significant creep dialed into it. If I can't have unnoticeable creep on a precision rifle, I don't want to shoot it. Some folks like their Fly triggers and that's fine, but it didn't meet my personal expectations.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 AM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
They are tough to get exacty like you want as every adjustment seems to affect all others but when you get them right they are very nice.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Hey A-Rob..

Glad to hear that you received yours! I was chosen by Bscar to test one as well. I am a PRS/precision rifle competitor and look forward to puting this trigger system through it's paces from my shooting perspective. The only hiccup so far... USPS seems to have forgotten that my package was sent via their "2-day" service. I had yesterday and today off and won't have a chance to shoot again until next Wednesday and Thursday. Currently holding off on heading to the range as long as I can. Come on USPS!

At least I can sit here and read about yours.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:58 PM
A-Rob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBaum View Post
Hey A-Rob..

Glad to hear that you received yours! I was chosen by Bscar to test one as well. I am a PRS/precision rifle competitor and look forward to puting this trigger system through it's paces from my shooting perspective. The only hiccup so far... USPS seems to have forgotten that my package was sent via their "2-day" service. I had yesterday and today off and won't have a chance to shoot again until next Wednesday and Thursday. Currently holding off on heading to the range as long as I can. Come on USPS!

At least I can sit here and read about yours.
Likewise I'm very interested to hear how it works out in a competition environment. All my testing last night was done on the barreled action only. My McRee chassis is supposed to be inletted for a Fly trigger but the inletting is a hair tight. I'll have to mill out a tiny bit of aluminum from it this weekend before I can start live fire tests.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:22 PM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
How much $? I'm a huge Timney fan, but I really like 2-stage triggers. Also, does it fit in the factory inletting?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 PM
EddieE

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Is the footprint identical to stock trigger or will modifications have to be made to the stock/chassis?
Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 PM
BScar
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The trigger does not fit factory inletting. The stock/chassis has to be modified, the footprint is the same as the CZ Mr. Fly.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:30 AM
A-Rob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Also, some stocks are already Fly ready, like the Boyd's At-One. That's what I was using when I had the Fly and it was a drop in fit. I believe newer 455 stocks are good to go.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:13 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This trigger could be a good upgrade for the 457, if it works. I have no idea what to expect for price but; custom work like this generally does not come cheap.

Timney offers a 455 trigger. I see them for $130 at Brownell. That seems promising for a single stage. Timney has a pdf on how to adjust. CZ and Tikka need to do the same. I guess they only go down to 2 lbs which is good for hunting but heavy for target shooting. I also read some caution around the 455 bolt removal. Those issues maybe corrected on the 457.

Last edited by fourbore; 01-11-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:31 AM
A-Rob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
This trigger could be a good upgrade for the 457, if it works. I have no idea what to expect for price but; custom work like this generally does not come cheap.

Timney offers a 455 trigger. I see them for $130 at Brownell. That seems promising for a single stage. Timney has a pdf on how to adjust. CZ and Tikka need to do the same. I guess they only go down to 2 lbs which is good for hunting but heavy for target shooting. I also read some caution around the 455 bolt removal. Those issues maybe corrected on the 457.
Timney is currently beta testing a single stage that will go down to 8 ounces, target release date was January from what I heard. In my opinion, this trigger keeps the 455 relevant because there is no 2 stage in the works for the 457. I am just not a fan of any single stage trigger (on rifles) unless it is on a pure bench rifle. I do have one on my 10/22 but that's just because I don't have another KIDD at the moment. Another point that can't be emphasized enough: this is a true 2-stage, not a first stage with enormous pre-travel that is called a 2-stage. From what I can see, this is what makes it safer than any single stage could possibly be. The only exception would be something like the Savage Accutrigger which is almost bulletproof in the safety aspect.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:39 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good point on the "true" 2 stage, safety. To be honest, which hurts sometimes, I forgot about that.