Bore Guide - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 PM
balvenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I hope the OP won't mind my intruding my experience into this topic but I have never used a bore guide owing to the belief that one could be drilled a little off centre or my rifle's bore might likewise not be concentric with the action.
Putting the rifle in a vice and controlling the rod with the thumb and fore finger of my left hand has served me well. Up until the 455, that is. My old Parker-Hale .22 rod, stripped of plastic, is bent by the ejector even though that thing has been filed down A Lot. It was a tedious and almost nerve wracking experience but I filed as much as I dared, to no avail. BTW, ejection is still flawless. The old rod measures 0.179". Could not be much smaller could it?
Well, I have chickened out on the filing and am researching rod guides but the way my rod bends, I expect to wear it out. Better that than the leade though.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:45 AM
PABear
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cleaning CZ 22s requires the rod to bent around the ejector. Using a guide bend the rod even further to clear the ejector; but it is enclosed in the bent guide. So unless the guide extends into the chamber, the rod will bear even more on the chamber.

Obvoiusly the best way is: remove the ejector when cleaning and then use a bore guide......a chore!
Old 07-25-2018, 12:42 PM
Jerryrig
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or, maybe, remove the barrel just like a take-down for cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 06:33 PM
balvenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PABear,
Makes me wonder if a coated rod would be the way to go. Discard when the plastic wears off.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:37 PM
supersharp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To me a bore guide is essential, especially for centerfire rifles .They help so much in the cleaning process of removing copper with a brush .They save your chamber from steel cleaning rods. I find them a time-saving device ,as I don't need to be as critical pushing the rod through and damaging something. I strongly recommend them if you're not using a pull through cable system.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:00 AM
Lance Boyle
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balvenie View Post
PABear,
Makes me wonder if a coated rod would be the way to go. Discard when the plastic wears off.
Nah I think that is the wrong approach. You will likely be peeling off curlycue’s of plastic coating each stroke.

Better to strip that rod of all plastic and use it as a subcal rod. Or go right to buying a high polished stainless sub cal rod.

Last edited by Lance Boyle; 07-26-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Jerryrig
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is everyone's opinion of carbon fiber rods? Also, what is a good pull through for a CZ 455 TR 22 LR because of the long tight barrel? BTW I use a brass rod about 20 cal.