Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Bayou

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger 96 trigger...

I read couple threads after I searched it and may have looked over it but would like to hear from anyone thats removed/disconnected one of the hammer springs to lessen the7-8# trigger pull to 4#s or less.Did it affect action, trigger/bolt .misfires?,after a few hunting trips was evrything still working fine?

sorry if this has been rehashed before,I just love my Ruger 96 22 mag. for field gun and need to get few pounds off the trigger fast,BTW im not a decent gunsmith.

Thanks for any info.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Bayou

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
back to drawing board...

I did as some had mentioned and uncliped one of my springs on side assembley,it brought trigger pull down to about half,the 96 ruger shot the best groups it ever has,I put weaver base ,Burris rings and Burris scope on it last night after taking the old cheap stuff off.

Problem is the hammer must not be stiking the rim quite as hard after messin wiith spring because every 5or6 rounds ,I get a misfire,it dent the rim of bullet ,but not quite enough to fire,sometimes I could put the misfired bullet back in chamber and it would fire,never had this problem with this gun before I moved one the springs,since its a hunting rifle I cant aford misfire so I have to reclip the spring back on.

What now?polished hammer & sear,try an aftermarket 10/22: 2 1/2-3# hammer? continue hunt for gunsmith that will work on a Ruger 96?most em just give it a funny look and reply,"Were not authorized to do that",Please respond or post if you dealt with anything like this before.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Exclamation

Removing one spring side is as you've found, an "iffy" situation at best. Makes for a very inconsistent hammer strike and causes (at least in mine) excess roughness in pull. I finally "bit the bullet" and sent one of my 96 trigger groups to TTShooter (member here on RFC) for rework. It came back so much better that I'm now saving my pennies to have him do the other one. It has about a 3lb pull, no creep (pre-travel) and very little overtravel. I'm mightily impressed and highly recommend his work. Not cheap but not overly expensive and well worth it . You can PM him & discuss it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 03:07 PM
mac57t
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TTshooter is the answer.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Bayou

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)