Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Jard trigger for T-Bolt

14K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Rick H. 
#1 ·
Been working a lot of overtime here the last 6 month and it doesn't look like there's any reprieve coming anytime soon... So I'm thinking about spending some of that money...

For you guys that have custom triggers in your guns what pound trigger would you recommend for a squirrel hunting rig???

#3 ·
I personally love a 2-2 1/2lb trigger in my squirrel rifles. I don't hunt with gloves on much which makes a difference to me. My T bolt I just got is just over 4lbs but breaks so amazingly clean that I may shoot it for a while before I tear into it. Also my son is the only other one that really uses my rifles while hunting and he knows the triggers are light so no problem.

#8 ·
My wife bought me one of the Jard T-bolt triggers for Valentine's Day (I have a great wife!) I went with the middle weight spring which I think was 16 oz. The pull weight is adjustable so I was able to set it up for what was comfortable for me as a squirrel hunting rig.

Just a word of advice if you get one. The instructions that came with the trigger said it was pretty much set up from the factory and required little to no adjustment. That was not true with the trigger I received. Mine required a lot of adjustment to get everything right. I had issues with the rifle slam firing, the safety not engaging, and the sear not holding the bolt like it should. The problems tended not to reveal themselves until I actually started shooting the rifle. I would fix one issue and test it numerous times with a snap cap, go shoot it, and another problem would pop up. I had to call the company a few times. If you don't already have a stubby set of allen wrenches buy some or grind some off, especially if you have to raise or lower the sear. The adjustment screw for that is in a recess behind the trigger guard. I found it very difficult to adjust with normal allen wrenches. On a positive note, Jard was very helpful when I called them in resolving my issues. Once it was adjusted correctly it shot fantastic.

#19 ·
My wife bought me one of the Jard T-bolt triggers for Valentine's Day (I have a great wife!) I went with the middle weight spring which I think was 16 oz. The pull weight is adjustable so I was able to set it up for what was comfortable for me as a squirrel hunting rig.

Just a word of advice if you get one. The instructions that came with the trigger said it was pretty much set up from the factory and required little to no adjustment. That was not true with the trigger I received. Mine required a lot of adjustment to get everything right. I had issues with the rifle slam firing, the safety not engaging, and the sear not holding the bolt like it should. The problems tended not to reveal themselves until I actually started shooting the rifle. I would fix one issue and test it numerous times with a snap cap, go shoot it, and another problem would pop up. I had to call the company a few times. If you don't already have a stubby set of allen wrenches buy some or grind some off, especially if you have to raise or lower the sear. The adjustment screw for that is in a recess behind the trigger guard. I found it very difficult to adjust with normal allen wrenches. On a positive note, Jard was very helpful when I called them in resolving my issues. Once it was adjusted correctly it shot fantastic.
My experience, exactly, other than the call to Jard. Figured it out on my own and took a fair amount of tinkering, but now have a true match grade trigger. However, my T-bolt Target is strictly a range gun. For hunting, I would have been quite satisfied with the super crisp, albeit heavier 3.5 pound weight factory trigger.

#9 ·
I must have been lucky because the Jard trigger assembly that I put in my T-Bolt was a straight drop in operation. It breaks like glass and a tad over 1 pound and it really makes shooting the rifle fun. Hopefully they won't all be a pain to install.

Rick H.

#13 ·
I just got a T bolt haven't shot it yet. I dont have a pull gauge. I removed the adjustment screw and while it is heavy it does break nice. All My BR rifles and a few Custom Big Game Rifle have Jewell Triggers my hunting Rifle is 8OZ but I am used to a 1 1/2 OZ trigger and can actually get a squeeze and let off on it. So I am not beyond getting a Jard Trigger but hate that I will loose that gold looking Trigger. Some said there is a thread where you can work on the T bolt trigger and get down to 2.5 LBS but I have not found it. I looked at my trigger and I see is nothing just a black housing. I dont even see how it comes off.

#25 ·
Different Strokes...

...... So I am not beyond getting a Jard Trigger but hate that I will loose that gold looking Trigger. Some said there is a thread where you can work on the T bolt trigger and get down to 2.5 LBS but I have not found it.
I took my trigger blade out and had it cerakoted black! But I don't wear jewelry either.

If I remember correctly, I unwound my stock spring a bit, 2lb 12oz...Tom

#14 ·
If I remember it’s a pop fit. Caveat, remember to put the screw( holds unit to barrel) back in place before popping it together. I removed the “lawyer ledge” and it didn’t do anything to the trigger pull(stayed 4lbs). Bought a Jard at 20 ounces,should have bought a selection of lighter springs at the same time

#15 ·
I tried messing with mine and had no luck and really was afraid I’d mess it up... I think the Jard trigger is gonna be the way to go for me... these guns really deserve a good trigger... I’m hoping to have it in and laying some groups down the week after Christmas

#16 ·
The JARD trigger for other makes of fire arms are very hit or miss . The one they make for the 10/22 is not worth the effort in my experience , it caused more problems than could be cured !! It was suppose to be a drop in and play it was not!!!! Sent it back .

#18 ·
I"ve had my T Bolt for several years now. When I got it I bought some spring wire from Brownells and made my own spring for it. If memory serves, mine came out about 2.75lbs and it breaks clean but I don't remember what diameter wire I used now. I thought about getting a JARD. I've bought other things from them and they are usually good quality but it seems guys have have mixed results with the T Bolt triggers.

#23 ·
The cost is nearly half of what I paid for my T-Bolt. I've been saying for years I would buy some spring wire and fix the trigger, but apparently, it is usable considering the thousands of rounds I have put through the gun.

I'm sure the trigger is worth it, but just a replacement spring would be more appropriate.

#29 ·
I was thinking of asking the same question, but......didn't.

The new Browning T-Bolt is a great rifle in all aspects except for the trigger. I get it with manufacturers trying to keep costs down yet still wanting to make a quality product. Browning did just fine with the T-Bolt until they got to the trigger assembly. Apparently that's when a different team of engineers came into work. When I received my T-Bolt I thought it was a real homerun until I took it apart and gazed at what was supposed to be a quality trigger assembly on a rather expense firearm. I went through all the Malarkey about adjusting this and adjusting that and it all made no real difference. A trigger assembly housed in plastic will never be a great platform. The old adage is very true in that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

It didn't take long for me to realize that installing a Jard trigger was my only option and while I didn't like the added expense, it ended up being a good investment. I had heard the good and bad about Jard triggers for T-Bolts and I even called the company to ask what my options were if I ran into problems. The gentleman I spoke with was quite helpful and said they would be more than happy to work with me if problems arose. In my case when I received my Jard trigger it was an almost drop-in installation with very little adjusting or fooling around. For me it made a decent little rifle a great little rifle. No it won't keep up with my Model 52's and Anschutz, but it holds its own against them at the short range. Unfortunately, Browning should have put a decent adjustable trigger in this gun from the start, but they took a different approach.

Rick H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.