Can a1022 barrel be fitted to a Mark II ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can a1022 barrel be fitted to a Mark II ?

I was just looking at mr Ruger detrius and I had this thought. I would also have to come up with some kind of stock to complete the rifle. Kind of like that buck mark thing or maybe Mauser thing or that ak thing. But first the barrel.is this reasonably possible?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 AM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
No .
Of course almost anything is possible , but it would take way too much machining to make it work and you’d most likely have to start with a bull barrel .
Not only that , but you would be creating the serial numbered part of the pistol .
Not feasible IMO . Kirby
Old 10-16-2017, 05:26 PM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Give Volquartsen a call. It's very possible they can build something for you. I talked on the phone with them and they made it sound positive. When I called Tactical Solutions it never getting past the lady who answered the phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 10:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I new it was a good idea

Last edited by Toomany22s; 10-16-2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Knew
Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
If you put a barrel longer than 16" then you can put a stock on the pistol and just be a long barreled pistol, with a shoulder stock. There are custom gun smiths that will make a long barrel for you but it will be expensive. If I were going to spend the money to make a long barreled pistol I would use a quality barrel because it will be expensive so you should have a good gun when you are finished.
AMT actually sold a upper and shoulder stock at one time to convert your MK II to a carbine but I am sure these are extremely rare now !!

Last edited by JStacy; 10-17-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:18 AM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The original post ask if a 10/22 barrel could be fitted to his Mark II . That’s a a no .
If he’d asked if a longer barrel could be fitted to a Mark II , then the answer would be yes . But you still need to find someone to make it and since it is the part that carries the serial number , it would have to be designated as a rifle or pistol and would have to be transferred by an ffl. Kirby
Old 10-17-2017, 01:30 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
There are no federal rules against having a 16+" barrel pistol with a shoulder stock. As far as I know you are correct that an unmodified 10/22 barrel may not fit a MK II receiver. It would depend on the size of the barrel shank and if it is large enough to be threaded for a MK II receiver.I was merely saying if the OP wanted to make a 16+" barrel pistol it would require a good gun smith to build and fit the barrel. Will a "unmodified " 10/22 barrel fit a MK II Ruger , no it will not and you are correct on that. The OP did not say if the barrel was going to be modified or not to get it to fit a MK II receiver. The barrel could have the step down portion removed then be turned and threaded and it would indeed fit a MK II receiver.
The answer depends on the modification or not to a 10/22 barrel.

Last edited by JStacy; 10-17-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:20 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
There are no federal rules against having a 16+" barrel pistol with a shoulder stock. As far as I know you are correct that an unmodified 10/22 barrel may not fit a MK II receiver. It would depend on the size of the barrel shank and if it is large enough to be threaded for a MK II receiver.I was merely saying if the OP wanted to make a 16+" barrel pistol it would require a good gun smith to build and fit the barrel. Will a "unmodified " 10/22 barrel fit a MK II Ruger , no it will not and you are correct on that. The OP did not say if the barrel was going to be modified or not to get it to fit a MK II receiver. The barrel could have the step down portion removed then be turned and threaded and it would indeed fit a MK II receiver.
The answer depends on the modification or not to a 10/22 barrel.
If the receiver ( serial numbered part ) is designated as a pistol when transferred , you can add any length barrel to it as a pistol . In order to put a shoulder stock on it , you are correct , it has to have a 16” or longer barrel . Otherwise it would become a short barreled rifle and would require a ($200) stamp .
You can make a pistol into a rifle , but not the reverse unless the receiver was originally designated a pistol . Kirby
Old 10-17-2017, 04:07 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All you gotta do is add some threads to the barrel,,, and screw it into the MKII.

Clark re-barrels all the time, and used to practically give away the take-offs,,,

The piece of tube that the barrel screws into carries the serial # on my MKII's,,,

(NOTE: I just love to say "All you got to do is,,",, when some one else is doing it!! )
Old 10-17-2017, 05:04 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmk View Post
All you gotta do is add some threads to the barrel,,, and screw it into the MKII.

Clark re-barrels all the time, and used to practically give away the take-offs,,,

The piece of tube that the barrel screws into carries the serial # on my MKII's,,,

(NOTE: I just love to say "All you got to do is,,",, when some one else is doing it!! )
Yep , all you got to do is add some threads and screw it in .
If you have the tools to do it with with , that includes getting the old barrel unscrewed from the receiver without damaging it .
You make it sound like an easy swap . Far from it .
Kirby
Old 10-17-2017, 09:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK THE EXPERTS HAVE OPINED! 18

From the picture of the pistol barrel,which suspiciously resemble a dwarfed 1022 barrel,including the extractor cut,it looks like I have to get somebody to put my 1022 18 inch barrel on a lathe and mimic thes cuts and threading.This can be done.now let's deal with the stock.i think that I could tie into the god awful take down lever/slot utilizing the clamping action and strap from the stock " attachment clamp"around the bottom of the grip to move securely attach the stock.thenthe actual stock could wood or wire or plastic. Otherwise if I went the ak route I would have to weld the stock or pivot hinges to the frame which would f up the grips .what do you think?

Last edited by Toomany22s; 10-17-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
The best shoulder stock I have seen were some what "U" shaped with holes that line up with the grip frame holes and a flat section behind the grips that is inletted into the wooden stock , kind of like a saw blade in it's grip, then pinned of bolted in position .
"You make it sound like an easy swap . Far from it ". this is a very true statement . The pistol barrels fit very tightly into the receiver and can be unscrewed but you need a good support set up for the receiver to unscrew the barrel with out warping the tubular receiver. Let a gun smith do it for you and you are less likely to ruin your receiver.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A better. Mark Trap!

Injection molded olymer stock where the pistol sans grip panels drops in secured by 2 large gri screws and voila aMarkII rile.The bolt would need a cut out but then a and a high cheek riser and a fore stock with a pisol grip,like Thompson. Can you see it?PS If all of you are removing and swapping barrels why can't I do it?

Last edited by Toomany22s; 10-18-2017 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or better yet

An ar type stock with a tubular hangaurd that allows the bolt to reciprocate inside the stock with extended grip panels that secure the stock and pistol. Magpul coul make it. I.e. It would slide on from the top.

Last edited by Toomany22s; 10-18-2017 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-18-2017, 07:40 AM
dons
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
looks like I have to get somebody to put my 1022 18 inch barrel on a lathe and mimic thes cuts and threading.
The feed ramp on your pistol is a machined part of the barrel; your machinist will have to fabricate something to act as a feed ramp.