Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:59 PM
old 39

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gas Ports Work

I always wondered if those gas ports on CZ rifles work. They do.

This morning I fired a Winchester T22 in my Model 2 that must been at least double charged. There was a big explosion and smoke came squirting out the gas port holes. I don't mean billowed, either. It squirted under pressure.

The empty extracted and ejected okay. The bolt face and the magazine follower (the defective round was the last one in the magazine) were absolutely blackened. I took the bolt apart and the striker had a bit of sludge on it. The rifle was fine and worked okay for the rest of the shooting session. I cleaned everything off with solvent and cleaned the barrel when I got home.

No gas hit my face and other than getting a good scare I am in as good repair as the rifle.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:52 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
They're strong for certain, glad it worked out well.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:26 PM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
They're strong for certain, glad it worked out well.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2021, 04:29 PM
rockster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old 39 View Post
I always wondered if those gas ports on CZ rifles work. They do.

This morning I fired a Winchester T22 in my Model 2 that must been at least double charged. There was a big explosion and smoke came squirting out the gas port holes. I don't mean billowed, either. It squirted under pressure.

The empty extracted and ejected okay. The bolt face and the magazine follower (the defective round was the last one in the magazine) were absolutely blackened. I took the bolt apart and the striker had a bit of sludge on it. The rifle was fine and worked okay for the rest of the shooting session. I cleaned everything off with solvent and cleaned the barrel when I got home.

No gas hit my face and other than getting a good scare I am in as good repair as the rifle.
I would definitely contact Winchester with the lot number. Usually when I've had a bad batch the manufacturer will send out a label to have the bad ammunition sent back and either reimburse or send a voucher for a new lot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2021, 01:38 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockster View Post
I would definitely contact Winchester with the lot number. Usually when I've had a bad batch the manufacturer will send out a label to have the bad ammunition sent back and either reimburse or send a voucher for a new lot.

When I had some bad cf ammo they sent me a couple vouchers for only Win products worth 1/2 of what the cf ammo was worth. Hack tooey on Winchester!
Old 07-27-2021, 05:58 PM
rockster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
When I had some bad cf ammo they sent me a couple vouchers for only Win products worth 1/2 of what the cf ammo was worth. Hack tooey on Winchester!
Sorry to hear that man, I'm not sure if it's the times or what but it used to be a 1:1 for new ammo... and that was only 2 years ago. That's BS if that's how it's going to be now when people purchase a bad lot.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:10 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockster View Post
Sorry to hear that man, I'm not sure if it's the times or what but it used to be a 1:1 for new ammo... and that was only 2 years ago. That's BS if that's how it's going to be now when people purchase a bad lot.

Nah, this was almost 10yrs ago. I'm sure their customers relations are new and improved now.