Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:25 PM
BobforBass

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 190 cleaning questions

Greetings fellow Winchester owners.

I have a Winchester 190 I received back in 1977. I shot thousands of rounds as a teenager and always kept it lubricated but never gave it a complete breakdown and cleaning. It has sat idle for the past 20+ years and this past weekend I took it out to see if it would still shoot. It did, but with many jams. I took it apart and was amazed and appaled at how much crud was in the assembly.

My question is: What is the best product to use to remove all the old gunpowder and crud that was built up over years of use. I did find a copy of the takedown instructions but need to know what desolves the crud. Also, the best lubricant when re-assembling the gun.

Your advice is much apprecitated.

Bobforbass
Old 10-30-2006, 09:42 PM
welderguy652
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Man that's Deja Vu all over again. I have a 190, my first .22 that I received in the early 70's. My cousin and I ran at least a brick thru it almost every Sunday. It got put up when I went to the Navy, and I just got it out again this spring. The trigger felt like it was dragging on gravel. I took her apart and was shocked that it functioned at all considering the amount of crap that was in it. I used Hoppes and Kroil and an old toothbrush. Lots of elbow action. She cleaned up well, but the trigger pull is still outrageously heavy. I guess I've been spoiled since then, so back to the safe it went. I'll never get rid of it, but I doubt if it ever gets shot very much again either.

Smitty
Old 10-30-2006, 11:13 PM
mtnmanCO22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
my 190 experiance.

my dad bought one back in the late 80's from an auction in the rural midwest. it was fairly inexpensive so he got a good deal.

we shot it some but i moved onto other "better" guns and dad kept it in the closet till he gave it to me about '98 or so. the insides were horrible dirty, gritty, nearly non-functional. it was like someone took old, thick tar type grease and mixed it with sand and packed it into every nook & cranny they could find.

i disassembled it with the exeption that i didnt dare take the barrel out of the reciever, it seemed nice and tight, dont mess with what aint broke! i was most concerned about the wood, that i later sanded and refinished.

with the parts in a tin coffee can i sprayed them HEAVILY with carborator cleaner and let them soak for about 4-6 hours, occassionally going out to swirl the can and spray them again. the fluid in the bottom was black!

also while doing that, i took the reciever/barrel assembly outside and kept spraying carb cleaner into the reciever and near the chamber and down the barrel. i would spray, let it soak for a few minutes, then run a brass bore brush down a few times. repeat as necessary. you should also take a dental pick and tooth brush to the ears and cone formation of the chamber entrance.

be sure to soak and spray the bolt and trigger group really well to blast out the crud. Good luck! -Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 08:15 AM
BobforBass

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another question on re-assembly

Thanks guys for the replies. It's amazing to see how many young kids received the 190 as their first .22. Growing up in rural Arkansas I could walk out the back door and shoot any direction at any time. It was a blast. The great part about that is that I still can.

Now a question about re-assembly: I have read that re-assembly of the trigger assembly on the 190 is a real pain with all the small bearings, springs and tiny pins. Would someone share their personal experience with dis- and re-assembly of the 190. I haven't torn mine apart yet and want to know exactly what I'm getting into. I do have the breakdown instructions but you know how they always leave a bit of info out that is pertinent only to you at that moment!!

Again, any and all replies are welcome.

Bobforbass
Old 10-31-2006, 10:30 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobforBass
Thanks guys for the replies. It's amazing to see how many young kids received the 190 as their first .22. Growing up in rural Arkansas I could walk out the back door and shoot any direction at any time. It was a blast. The great part about that is that I still can.

Now a question about re-assembly: I have read that re-assembly of the trigger assembly on the 190 is a real pain with all the small bearings, springs and tiny pins. Would someone share their personal experience with dis- and re-assembly of the 190. I haven't torn mine apart yet and want to know exactly what I'm getting into. I do have the breakdown instructions but you know how they always leave a bit of info out that is pertinent only to you at that moment!!

Again, any and all replies are welcome.

Bobforbass
I haven't been brave enough to totally disassemble the trigger assembly. I just remove it and let it soak in break free for a while and then clean it with brake cleaner. That is one of the downsides of the 190/290 series, they trap alot of dirt in the trigger assembly. I would love to lighten the trigger pull on my 190. They are reliable lil guns even when dirty (to a point).
Old 11-18-2006, 12:10 AM
JTox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What 12Bravo said...

Bobforbass,

The best thing you can do is leave that trigger group together, soak it and blow it out with compressed air. If nothing in there needs to be replaced, leave it be! Just attack the stubborn stuff with a toothbrush and nitro solvent.

As for lube, the less the better. Like the Marlin 60's, the Win190 runs best with very little lube. One of the better teflon lubes like Remington's works well - just use it VERY sparingly and wipe off all the excess before you put it back together. Hit all the slide surfaces and pivots, then wipe it all as dry as you can.

JTox, Win190 owner...and proud of it.