Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Comprehensive pellet test - Daisy 717 air pistol

7K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  gcrank1 
#1 · (Edited)
15-yard benchrest
Leupold M8 2x handgun scope, parallax-adjusted to 15 yds.
B-Square scope mount (originally mfg. for the Baikal IZH-46M pistol, but a good fit to this air pistol as well)
22 different pellet brands / styles were tested
Qty.2, 5-shot groups (shot subsequently after an initial pellet for air cylinder warmup / bore seasoning)

(Sorry it's not a closer pic - however, the only thing that a closeup would show would be the ~$300 worth of optics/accessories on a pistol valued at ~$100, lol.) BTW, thanks Hush!!! :bthumb:

Results: (average of Qty.2, 5-shot groups @ 15 yds)
  • Beeman 7.2gr - Hollow point: 1.01"
  • Beeman 7.7gr - Wadcutter: 1.21"
  • Crosman 7.4gr Competition - Wadcutter: 1.33"
  • Crosman 7.9gr Copperhead - Pointed: 1.05" (old-stock & discontinued)
  • Crosman 7.9gr Copperhead - Wadcutter: 0.85" (old-stock & discontinued)
  • Crosman 7.45gr Hunting - Pointed: 0.98"
  • Crosman 7.9gr Premier - Hollow point: 1.06"
  • Crosman 7.9gr Premier Light - Domed: 0.68"
  • Daisy Precision Max 7.8gr - Wadcutter: 1.24"
  • Gamo 7.56gr Hunter - Domed: 0.78"
  • Gamo 7.87gr Magnum - Pointed: 0.68"
  • Gamo 7.56gr Master Point - Pointed: 0.76"
  • Gamo 7.71gr Match - Wadcutter: 0.82"
  • RWS 7.0gr Diabolo Basic - Wadcutter: 0.86"
  • RWS 7.0gr Hobby - Wadcutter: 0.79"
  • RWS 7.0gr MK Pistol - Wadcutter: 0.77"
  • RWS 8.2gr MK Rifle - Wadcutter: 0.84"
  • RWS 8.2gr R-10 Match - Wadcutter: not tested, no interest
  • RWS 7.7gr Superdome - Domed: 0.84"
  • RWS 7.8gr Super-H-Point - HP: 0.72" (old-stock, discontinued weight)
  • RWS 7.7gr Superpoint - Pointed: 0.77"
  • Vogel 8.1gr Merlin Match - Wadcutter: 0.44" (Qty.4, 5-shot groups)
  • Winchester 9.8gr Round nose: 0.85"
Shooting notes: the pellet selection above is a slightly narrower selection of the pellets used for my IZH-46M test (posted here).
This 717 was previously chronographed at 360 fps with 8gr pellets, just after I had done a rebuild/reconditioning on it.

Average group size (all pellets tested): 0.88"
Best pellet (Vogel Merlin Match): 0.44"

After the initial success with the Qty.2, 5-shot groups with the Vogels, I shot another Qty.2, 5-shot group set.
Very similar results were achieved, so I have reasonable confidence in that excellent 0.44" average.

Before I began this test, I had the premise that the 'best' pellet should produce an average group size of ~ half the overall average, over a wide range of pellets tested.
(Per my Daisy 853 test (0.18" vs 0.29"avg: 62%) and my IZH-46 test (0.19" to 0.42"avg: 45%)).
The current testing supported my working theory, 0.44" vs 0.88": 50%.

The aggregate MOA for this particular air pistol calculates to 5.8 MOA for all pellets.
The MOA for the best pellets (Vogel Merlin Match) calculates to 2.9 MOA in this Daisy - roughly half the accuracy of the 1.3 MOA (at the same 15 yds) with the best pellets from my scoped Baikal IZH-46M, under comparable testing conditions.
However, keep in mind that this pistol retails for only ~1/3 of the cost of the (now-difficult-to-get) IZH-46M.

Happily, I have close to 5000 of this lot of Vogel pellets in my inventory - so this testing is finished (and on some of the last good weather for Oregon this fall).
I feel rather fortunate; there really is no second-runner-up pellet in this air pistol - without these Vogels it would have been a disappointing test.
Onward to my garage range to keep some semblance of handgun proficiency for this upcoming winter. :)

(Actually, that's not quite true - the majority of my indoor air pistol practice will most likely be with my IZH-46M.
This 717 will probably serve its major roles as a 'loaner' or something I'll travel with and/or take out into the field.
My IZH would be much more difficult to replace, and I wouldn't be as heartbroken if something happened to this Daisy.
Still, it was really fun to find the upper limits for this very good entry-level target air pistol. :))

Thanks for reading,

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a lot of work! Not surprisingly the best pellets are wadcutters. Based on my experience with 717s, 747s, and my 777, I think the gun is capable of better performance. After all, Don Nygord won the California state championship with a slightly modified 717. I use RWS Meisterkugelns, Hobbys, and an old stash of H&N Match, which is what Beeman match pellets were, and all can hold the 10 ring at 10 meters.

#10 ·
Do you recall what year model the 717, that was used in the test?

Reason I ask, it appears, the earlier model 717's shot much better. The one I had, shooting in a home made machine rest, based on the old Lee machine rest, would average .250" for five - 5 shot groups and .312" to .375" for 10 shots groups at 10 meters. The best pellet for my 717 was the Beeman H&N High Speed, but it was the 7.2 grain pellets, which are no longer being made, and the velocity averaged 402 FPS.

I figured the 747 with the better barrel would shoot even better, but they were, for all practical purposes, equal, as far as accuracy goes. I modified the trigger for a better trigger pull and later even put a 747 trigger and components in the 717. I gave the 717 to a friend and kept the 747.

#11 ·
Do you recall what year model the 717, that was used in the test?

Reason I ask, it appears, the earlier model 717's shot much better. The one I had, shooting in a home made machine rest, based on the old Lee machine rest, would average .250" for five - 5 shot groups and .312" to .375" for 10 shots groups at 10 meters. The best pellet for my 717 was the Beeman H&N High Speed, but it was the 7.2 grain pellets, which are no longer being made, and the velocity averaged 402 FPS.

I figured the 747 with the better barrel would shoot even better, but they were, for all practical purposes, equal, as far as accuracy goes. I modified the trigger for a better trigger pull and later even put a 747 trigger and components in the 717. I gave the 717 to a friend and kept the 747.
Hi Ron, sorry for the late reply. I don't know the age of my 717; the only number it has on it is 020214. Taking a WAG, maybe 2002 ? :confused:
I was sorta thinking to write to Daisy to date this; I could ask about my 853 at the same time as I enjoy documenting this sort of thing.

#12 · (Edited)
Just pulled out my long boxed 717
Purchase date: 12-5-83, $34.95 from store, full retail
Bottom of grip frame: LOT A220995
Online I see 1981 mentioned as date of intro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.