Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:49 PM
Cactus Mike
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The “Correct” scope for a 52C...

I came very close to having my 52C drilled & tapped, in order to take advantage of modern optics. My friend/gunsmith said “you don’t want a modern scope on that rifle, you want a Unertl”!

Well guess what?...I found what is being represented as a NEW, 3/4” tube 20X Unertl in the correct manufacturer’s cardboard carton w/Posa mounts. I know these things are expensive, but does $1400 (as described) sound anywhere near right? I am giving serious consideration to this but I would much appreciate some feedback from the “boys in the band”.
Regards,
Cactus Mike
Old 06-02-2021, 09:01 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Mike View Post
I came very close to having my 52C drilled & tapped, in order to take advantage of modern optics. My friend/gunsmith said “you don’t want a modern scope on that rifle, you want a Unertl”!

Well guess what?...I found what is being represented as a NEW, 3/4” tube 20X Unertl in the correct manufacturer’s cardboard carton w/Posa mounts. I know these things are expensive, but does $1400 (as described) sound anywhere near right? I am giving serious consideration to this but I would much appreciate some feedback from the “boys in the band”.
Regards,
Cactus Mike
You can buy a lot better glass than an old tech Unertl for $1,400. Looks only go so far. Just sayin'...
Old 06-02-2021, 09:21 PM
SBS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Pretty steep. Have seen 1 1/2" in nice shape for around 800-900. Guess it depends on what you think "as new" is worth over one with a little wear on it. The Lyman Super Targetspot 20X was the most popular when the C's were being made. The 1 1/2" Unertl was considered too heavy by many shooters, for both prone and 3&4 position matches. The 2" Unertl Target was even worse and not many were seen at the above type matches.

Last edited by SBS; 06-02-2021 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2021, 09:23 PM
hardwoodjdc

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
When I had my 52c I had a 15x Unertl on it if I recall correctly and shot some very impressive targets with it. I still have a 15 x on my Stevens Walnut Hill and love it but I am more of a collector than a shooter these days. Kind of fun to own and shoot what my Grandfather considered to be the ultimate. How much “better glass” does one need than 10x’s out of 10?
Old 06-02-2021, 09:26 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Mike View Post
Hurrah for him! All these folks who want to stick a modern scope on a vintage gun using an ugly aluminum mount??? They do NOT get it.

I would only say that your friend is a little narrow in his thinking, because a Lyman, Fecker, Litschert, is just as "correct" as a Unertl, & probably cheaper. 20x Unertls are not uncomman. $1400 should buy you one of the much scarcer 30X models. Keep watching ebay & I think you'll find a better deal.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:34 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
You can buy a lot better glass than an old tech Unertl for $1,400. Looks only go so far. Just sayin'...
If you don't love "old tech," why are you messing around with M. 52 Winchesters? Looks go a LONG way with me.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:49 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have modern scopes and old tech Unertls. I have to admit that the optics of the old unertls are no handicap at all to my 73 year old eyes - they work just fine. And the folks I have shot against in bench rest matches would most likely agree. To my eyes, a classic 52 just doesn't look right with a modern scope sitting on it.

Now, if you are planning on carrying the gun afield then yes, the big scopes do present a bit of weight problem....but then a target 52 is not a light gun to carry either. For shooting off a bench or rest, the 52 with a long barrel mounted scope is just fine.

But it's a matter of taste - modern vs old school; 1.5" vs 2". As to the value of the scope you are looking at, a thorough survey of Ebay Unertl listings will show what they are asking, but pay attention to what they are actually selling for. If it is indeed NIB and is what you are looking for, then the price is not outrageous. You can find ones of lesser condition for less money. But the Unertls in good condition and of higher power range are bringing good money. When I purchased my Winchester 52 guns and Unertls scopes, I looked at it as an investment that I could also use and enjoy and if taken care of would return most in not all of my intial investment if I should choose to sell.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:13 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
To my eyes, a classic 52 just doesn't look right with a modern scope sitting on it.
Amen to that!

I just checked ebay for Unertl listings, & have to say that I'm probably behind the times in Unertl pricing (as I am in so many other ways!). So I agree that $1400 is not as as excessive as I had believed. But the prices that count are SOLD prices, not listing prices.

Here's a maker I forgot to mention--Davis bought out the Litschert business:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22447900292...MAAOSwyI1gstG8
Old 06-02-2021, 10:17 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
How about a Redfield 3200?
Old 06-02-2021, 11:30 PM
Cactus Mike
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Redfield 3200...

I had a nice 20X Redfield 3200and sold it! I had it on a MK.V Martini. Sold the rifle, then I sold the scope...THEN I got the 52C. Moral of this story, NEVER SELL ANYTHING! Oh well, live and learn.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:13 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (62)
Seems like scopes similar to what are sold today were available during the 52C years so would look ok.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:21 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Lyman Super Target spot is an excellent period scope. Anything in 12x to 20x range is just fine to consider. The higher magnifications carry a premium. IIRC these (say 12x) were $500 price range pre-Covid.

EBay and internet (Gun Broker) are top dollar these days. Lots of guns and gun shops in Arizona. I would be looking locally. If you dont mind a little extra effort, some times you can buy a gun with the scope. Keep the scope and sell the gun. Potentially big savings.

The Lyman came in a wood case and in the final years a metal box. YOU DONT NEED A BOX ! More money wasted.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:57 AM
Balvar24

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
If you can't shoot paper with a Unertl, then you can't shoot.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:05 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
There's a Lyman 15X Super Target Spot in our Trading Post that fits the bill. The correct externally adjustable mounts are going to be pricey I imagine.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...o=ad&id=264607

Frank
Old 06-03-2021, 08:18 AM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
There's a Lyman 15X Super Target Spot in our Trading Post that fits the bill. The correct externally adjustable mounts are going to be pricey I imagine.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...o=ad&id=264607

Frank
Excellent buy. If it came with the factory box, I'd buy it myself.