Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:48 PM
bocash3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HS Supermatic Citation Military 106

Howdy,

Picked up the title pistol in 99.7% condition a year ago. No box, but looked like it had never been handled.

On first attempt to sand bag and adjust sights, I noted Trigger would not
return to fire position on Each Shot. I had to gently push it forward with finger of non-trigger hand.

Thing was scary accurate, but had the trigger problem.

Field-stripped and soaked in solvents, Kroiled the trigger area, then re-installed barrel.

Same problem when dry fired at the gun bench.

My gunsmith talents ? were challenged by attempting to go inside further, so took it to a gunsmith who went through it and said it fired a magazine full without a problem after he cleaned it.

So, I took it back to my cabin pistol range two weeks ago and still has the same "Trigger No Return" problem.

Any ideas before I return this to the same gunsmith? I dread the 90 mile-round-trip.......TWICE!!!

Thanks in advance, Bo
Old 06-06-2021, 02:50 PM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sear bar stuck

The most likely problem with your trigger is corrosion or dried oil in the upper hole of the trigger where the sear bar pin is inserted into the hole. You can read an article I wrote a few years ago on how to fix this: http://hscollectorsblog.blogspot.com...-is-stuck.html . The other thing that can happen is the sear bar spring may not be installed properly or is weak or broken.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:14 PM
[email protected]
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
the sear bar spring is u or v shaped and fits into a machined area in the left side of the frame behind the top of the mag well.. It should be installed with the closed end down.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-06-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2021, 02:59 AM
404tbang
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocash3 View Post
Howdy,

Picked up the title pistol in 99.7% condition a year ago. No box, but looked like it had never been handled.

On first attempt to sand bag and adjust sights, I noted Trigger would not
return to fire position on Each Shot. I had to gently push it forward with finger of non-trigger hand.

Thing was scary accurate, but had the trigger problem.

Field-stripped and soaked in solvents, Kroiled the trigger area, then re-installed barrel.

Same problem when dry fired at the gun bench.

My gunsmith talents ? were challenged by attempting to go inside further, so took it to a gunsmith who went through it and said it fired a magazine full without a problem after he cleaned it.

So, I took it back to my cabin pistol range two weeks ago and still has the same "Trigger No Return" problem.

Any ideas before I return this to the same gunsmith? I dread the 90 mile-round-trip.......TWICE!!!

Thanks in advance, Bo
I had that trigger problem.........along with a bit more of a problem.

The mag emptied periodically when I pulled the trigger one time.

The fix I did was simply to adjust the trigger pull a few clicks heavier and the trigger reset just fine. No more problems thereafter.

Enjoy your pistol!
Old 06-07-2021, 07:21 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bocash3:

If your gun has the trigger overtravel screw (in the face of the trigger) adjusted too close, the gun may fail to reset its trigger in operation.

Successively adjust the trigger overtravel screw until the trigger will just not reset on its own. Then back off the adjustment screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn. That will increase the overtravel trigger feel but will assure reliable resetting of the trigger.

I know you said both you and your gunsmith cleaned the gun but if this problem persists then you may need a complete disassembly cleaning. AmericanGunsmithingInstitute (AGI) makes a video on these guns which show complete takedown and a viable method to assure every last bit of dirt and grime are removed from the guns internals. He uses Simple Green (or equivalent) to remove the dirt and grime initially. The gunsmith on the videos then soaks the parts in BreakFree to assure a total coating of rust preventing BreakFreee CLP (Clean Lubricate Preserve).

But as suggested by others, it may well be the trigger bar connection to the trigger or an incorrectly installed or broken trigger bar/disconnector flat spring. Guns, like most things mechanical, do no like to sit idle for years. Your description of the gun kind of indicates that the gun was just not used and that may be nice for a collector but not so good for a shooter.

LDBennett
Old 06-07-2021, 09:12 AM
UnGe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
bocash3:
l screw until the trigger will just not reset on its own. Then back off the adjustment screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn. That will increase the overtravel trigger feel but will assure reliable resetting of the trigger.
LDBennett
Manual recommends 3/4 turns of back off, I'd rather be on the safe side.
As for trigger problem, I had the same, the problem was that cleaning was not clean enough. As I could not remove trigger pin (looks like previous owner smashed it), I just poured a lot of penetrating oil around the pin, left for couple days, worked the trigger and blew excess oil with air. Works perfectly since than.

P.S. After blowing all the penetrating oil, it is better to add regular gun oil instead.

Last edited by UnGe; 06-07-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:19 AM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sear bar

Neither the overtravel adjustment screw nor the sear spring adjustment screw have any effect on this problem of the trigger not moving forward easily after the trigger has been pulled back and released.

This is a problem with either the sear bar pin in the trigger, the trigger pin going through the lower hole in the trigger, the sear return spring out of place or defective, or a combination of these. The most common place for the problem is the sear bar pin in the upper hole of the trigger has corrosion or dried oil that makes it hard to move. The best fix for this is to make sure the pistol is not loaded, remove the barrel and slide, and magazine. Hold back the hammer with a finger while pulling the trigger to allow the hammer to go forward slowly to prevent damage to the frame. Then remove the left grip panel, side plate screw and side plate, lift out the safety lever, remove the sear bar spring (note how it fits in the frame), and remove the sear bar from the pistol. Then clean the pin and hole. Check the trigger for free movement in the frame. If it moves freely, reinstall the sear bar with some lubricant on the sear bar pin, and the trigger pivot pin area. Then install the sear bar spring making sure to have the rear leg against the sear bar protrusion, replace the safety lever, side plate and screw, and left grip panel. Check the trigger for proper action. It should move back and forth easily. Reassemble the slide and barrel, and insert the magazine.

Last edited by HSWayne; 06-07-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:25 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
HS Supermatic Citation Military 106

bocash3,

Check out the following sometime: https://histandard.info/Jim_Barta/. If

you haven't seen this before, something there may be of interest to you.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:38 PM
Shrps74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 107 Citation...same thing happened to me...take the left side grip off. there you will find that v shaped spring...probably came out of its position. Put it back. All will be well.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:51 AM
rimfiresrule2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One of my favorite gizmos is an ultrasonic cleaner full of Brownells Solvent. Its great to take a gun apart and just drop it in. Just be careful to keep things from scratching others, such like my Trophy scratches. The stuff works well and is easy to dry up and then use some brushes, Qtips or a rod on. Its worth a try on this and maintenance going forward. Of course, the solvent may need to be something else due to Chinabug
Old Today, 05:05 PM
Edcnh

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I agree a good thorough cleaning is the place to start. I have a model 103 that had this problem when I got it. Brought it to a gunsmith I know and he found the oil in the gun had dried out over time. The gun shoots great now. There are decent videos on You Tube on assembly and disassembly. Also I now have the AGI video.

Last edited by Edcnh; Today at 05:08 PM. Reason: Add information