Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My Early '80's 1377

Just came home after 38 years!
I gave it to my bil back in '83, he played with it some but it has sat for 30+ in the box; he just gave it back today.
It took a few pumps to get the wiper to oil the pump tube and build some compression then I popped off 5 shots at 4 pumps out the back door in a drizzle.
Seems ready to try on paper maybe tomorrow The trigger is pretty nice.
It was a good shooter way back. I was shooting 50' indoor 22 NRA Bullseye then and had more than a little skill. Though the 1377 was good practice I bought the relatively new Daisy 717 sgl pump pneumatic which also had a much more user friendly loading port (still have it too).
Lots of info and mods on these now, think it will be fun.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Had time to set up some cardboard yesterday at about 6 yds, the sights needed adjustment but it showed potential. So today I got on the back deck in a chair with the rail as a wrist rest for a two-hand hold. The target box was at 10yds. Got the sights hitting good for windage, played around some with the number of pumps and set for dead-on with 2 pumps for elev, 3 and 4 print higher and have way more thwack.
2 pumps is nice and easy, and cloverleaf group accurate even with old el-cheapo Daisy wadcutters. Guess I dont have any need to get a CO2 pistol now
Old 06-13-2021, 09:46 PM
Leonard T
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one of those pistols to. I have a Tasco ProClass 1x scope on it for taking out cottontails in my back yard. I use 8 pumps. Is there any reason you use a low pump count or am I using way to much? It seems to shot really nice groups at 8 and will take out a cottontail with a head shot from 20yds. And it's way quieter than my Gamo air rifle for the same job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2021, 09:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wadcutters only need about 450fps to be accurate at 10ish yards and punching holes in paper doesnt need as much as cottontails, for sure!
If you leave your scope set for the cottontail range and shoot target paper closer just use whatever aiming point and go for tight groups with fewer pumps even if they dont do poi at poa.
Fwiw, 4 pumps was good so I tried 3, then 2. Hey 2 pumps is sooo easy and fun for short range!
1 pump didnt clear the barrel, in fact, it only went up-bore about 1/2" LOL. So I rodded it back into the breech, gave it 4 pumps and shot it out. Hit the target right where it was pointed.

Last edited by gcrank1; 06-14-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:56 AM
Leonard T
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks gcrank I'll have to try the lower pump count to see if it is more accurate and would still be good practice practice time.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I got to play with it up at the cabin yesterday. Dropped some white 2 ltr pop bottle caps out at a 'likely distance' (didnt even pace it off but guess about 15?) and started with 2 pumps and a Weaver stance. They dropped consistently low so I upped it to 3 and hits began . I finished off with my old NRA Bullseye one hand hold and did well as long as I concentrated on the front sight and trigger control. Having those bottle caps bouncing about was very satisfying.

Last edited by gcrank1; 06-18-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:21 PM
LRB
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That sounds like fun, I have one of the newer 1377's and it's a hoot!

Tried to lighten the trigger pull with a lighter trigger spring and discovered that the trigger was still heavy even with no spring at all.

Put the lighter trigger spring in anyway so I wouldn't have to turn the gun upside down to cock it.

Then I went for a lighter hammer spring to the point where anything over 4 pumps leaves some residual pressure in the tank.

But that and some polishing made a big difference in the trigger pull, and since this is my indoor plinker anyway I'm fine with 4 pumps.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I ran some chrono tests yesterday with the 1377.
Crosman WC's
Chrono at 5' out from muzzle
5 shots averaged
Started with 3 warm-up shots at 4 pumps, then the test.
3 pumps: 284
4 pumps: 326
5 pumps: 349
Fwiw, I tried 2 pumps but it stuck the 3rd shot pellet just into the 'throat' and of shots chrono'ed showed such wide deviation that I decided 3 is much better as a base. The extreme spread on 3 pumps for 5 shots was only 7fps too!
At 6 pumps the additional fps began to drop; ie, for me not worth the effort.
This is fine velo at 4 and 5 for WC target shooting and plinking.
As a comparison my Daisy 717 (1983, sgl pump pneumatic) does 390fps and the RWS (Diana) 5G, barrel cocking springer, does 430.