Anyone here tried a Greenlaw Machining Rest Top? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:16 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)

I asked him about fitting to a Cowan, he asked me to check how the top is attached and send him a photo, hope to get that done today.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:26 AM
esk808
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Ive been tempted to try one of his tops on my Cowan rest. I wonder if he makes a direct fit for the cowan?"

TrxR, Dan Greenlaw is very helpful. Email him: [email protected]

As you can see above on my 1-piece rest, it is an Accu-Shot which was not easily converted to using one of DG's rests. However, he made some suggestions, and rather than me trying to convert one of his tops, I sent the whole front platform to DG and he drilled some holes so that it would fit perfectly.

As a Cowan is fairly commonplace, I'm sure DG can make his front rest to fit your Cowan base.

He's a good guy.

Last edited by esk808; 06-12-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:46 AM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill40718 View Post
I have the Greenlaw top, on a Caldwell base with a Sinclair speed screw, and a Protektor Bumble Bee at the rear.
What does the Sinclair “speed screw” do for you better than the original caldwell screw? Same threads would move the leg at same rate, is it just easier to grip?
Old 06-12-2021, 11:51 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 284wahoo View Post
What does the Sinclair “speed screw” do for you better than the original caldwell screw? Same threads would move the leg at same rate, is it just easier to grip?

Yes, it's easier to grip.

But, mainly the speed screw has 2 different threads.

It has a hollow inner barrel, threaded to screw into the rear leg, which is a rough set and lock it down.

And an outer barrel with a significantly larger diameter and finer pitch threads to do the vertical adjustment of the rear leg.

Works well.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:50 PM
TrxR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ill have to send him a message . I wonder if he could suply the top already on a post so i could interchange the tops quickly.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:16 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I've not been able to break my mounting bolt loose, so no idea what diameter it is....
Old 06-12-2021, 03:48 PM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
You need to know what size threads and pitch your rear leg on your rest is tapped to accept. Easy way is to measure your current rear leg screw and order accordingly. The advantage to the speed screw comes in the speed of operation over the supplied adjustment screw and more fine elevation adjustment given by the finer thread portion of the speed screw. I have two of Dan's tops on Caldwell bases with the Sinclair speed screws and they do very well when paired with a quality rear bag like a Protektor product.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:37 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
oldshot50,

What diameter did your rear screw measure?

Mine measures 0.387". Which results in a very sloppy fit when the Sinclair speed screw is threaded into the rear leg.

Thanks
Bill
Old Yesterday, 06:19 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Got a Email from Dan (he is super nice and accommodating) and said if I could tell him the diameter and pitch of my current post he could probably just make a matching one for his top. Can't beat that kind of service.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM
CZ-Tommy
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Call Mr. Greenlaw, You'll be glad you did !
What a Gentleman !
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
The Greenlaw top is by far the best value out there. you can use it in so many different setups.

I built this 1-piece rest using only a drill press to see how much better my rifles would shoot. the top uses a derlin design I came up with and worked pretty good. this rest now resides in AZ and is still being used.

here is one I currently have sitting on a BR Rock

Lee
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I've not been able to break my mounting bolt loose, so no idea what diameter it is....
Gerald, I wonder if it would help, to remove that upper/post assy from the base, and leave it soaking on a bucket of fuel oil a week or so, then try it again. Another better penetrating solution is a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid.

Or perhaps if it's locked on by Locktite, maybe some judicious application of heat to the screw?

bet if you shipped the assy to Dan, he could free it up.