Bought an old 513T Match Master - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:41 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
The Shaver inserts are really fine, great for accuracy but harder on the eyes than some of the original ones with thicker posts/apps.
Alley Supply, who make replacement globe sights for the M-1 and M-14 style rifles, used the Redfield 60-series as their guide. They still sell original Redfield-style inserts here on their web site.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:38 PM
Neal71
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All my parts finally arrived and have been installed. The mag lock/release I ordered from Numrich works but not very smoothly. hard to insert and remove the magazine and it must be inserted with the bolt closed in order to be positioned correctly to chamber a round. I will be using it single shot so no big deal. The Lyman 60RSH would not sight in so I used a Williams FP high target peep on the rear. Once dialed in I was able to put my last 7 shots in 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards all in the bull or 9 ring. This is my first experience with peep sights so I hope to improve that group with practice. I'm happy with the rifle even though I wound up with about $150 more invested than I had planned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210607_164755.jpg (537.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-09-2021, 03:17 PM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Alley Supply, who make replacement globe sights for the M-1 and M-14 style rifles, used the Redfield 60-series as their guide. They still sell original Redfield-style inserts here on their web site.
I think the smallest version of the round inserts is about what I had when I got the rifle. I've thought about picking some up to see, but really want some larger round ones for what I want to do. Thanks for the link though, but I'm still on the fence on trying these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal71 View Post
All my parts finally arrived and have been installed. The mag lock/release I ordered from Numrich works but not very smoothly. hard to insert and remove the magazine and it must be inserted with the bolt closed in order to be positioned correctly to chamber a round. I will be using it single shot so no big deal. The Lyman 60RSH would not sight in so I used a Williams FP high target peep on the rear. Once dialed in I was able to put my last 7 shots in 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards all in the bull or 9 ring. This is my first experience with peep sights so I hope to improve that group with practice. I'm happy with the rifle even though I wound up with about $150 more invested than I had planned.
I'd be happy with that group, and I've shot a few hundred rounds through mine now. They seem to usually be good shooters. In my case my eyes aren't great, and the light is bad at the indoor range I use. It's hard to get a really solid contrast at times.

The magazines and latch seem to be prone to needing adjustment, so it sounds like you are on the right track. I've got mine close enough that it works fine in single shot mode, but I still have to do some tweaking to get it right.

Did you use the Shaver inserts? If so, round or post? Just curious, as it seems with the right sized target black they would be good at being precise. I'm wanting to try larger round inserts since the light is poor at my indoor range.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:07 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Fwiw, many try to use too small a front aperture insert. Score will be no worse, and often better, with a hole on the large side; err to bigger when in doubt.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:07 PM
Neal71
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I think the smallest version of the round inserts is about what I had when I got the rifle. I've thought about picking some up to see, but really want some larger round ones for what I want to do. Thanks for the link though, but I'm still on the fence on trying these.

I'd be happy with that group, and I've shot a few hundred rounds through mine now. They seem to usually be good shooters. In my case my eyes aren't great, and the light is bad at the indoor range I use. It's hard to get a really solid contrast at times.

The magazines and latch seem to be prone to needing adjustment, so it sounds like you are on the right track. I've got mine close enough that it works fine in single shot mode, but I still have to do some tweaking to get it right.

Did you use the Shaver inserts? If so, round or post? Just curious, as it seems with the right sized target black they would be good at being precise. I'm wanting to try larger round inserts since the light is poor at my indoor range.
I started with the round one first. At 50 yards it exactly framed the target. My friend was calling my shots through his bench rifle's scope. Took about 20 shots to get it dialed in. I switched to the post for about 5 shots and just held the bottom of the target touching the post. The 1 1/2 inch group had bullets from both apertures with no adjustment in elevation or windage.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:25 PM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds fairly solid for just getting out the first time. Though I haven't done it yet myself, I saw mention that if desired you can "double up" with the Shaver inserts. They are thin enough to put two in the front at once, and some claim that they like that at times for certain targets.

I shot some with the post insert today, but think I was grouping a little better with the smaller targets and inserts. If you want the guys that really know how to shoot them, check out the Fun Matches. They must have some people will eagle vision and skills over there.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:36 AM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
thats a fine looking rifle
Old 06-10-2021, 06:50 AM
tomon

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal71 View Post
I ordered some from Lee Shaver for around $25.00 for a card of 10. Reviews were good so I took a chance. had to replace the magazine and magazine catch. It works but in order for the mag to seat and feed correctly the bolt must be closed when inserting the mag. The "Old Style" Numrich Mag catch is far too stiff and it's a struggle to insert and remove the mag. Seems to have got a little easier after a few repetitions but maybe I'm just getting better at it??
I've read that here before about Numrich's Magazine catches. Also the word "brittle" was mentioned about them. Remington changed the design early on, from the metal block mounted, to the stock mount one. If you can find a later one, you can make it work.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:32 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If the spring is too brittle you can 'draw it off' a bit with a kitchen stove. Look up how online.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:50 AM
Southpaw62

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
The Shaver inserts are really fine, great for accuracy but harder on the eyes than some of the original ones with thicker posts/apps. In good light they would be much better, at my indoor range lighting is poor and they are tough on the eyes.

I'm still sorting out the catch and magazines for mine. I think I have it sorted out much better, but have been using it in single shot mode until I find some good references for proper function on both. It seems the mag doesn't want to feed the round up into the chamber properly, and can let the round catch either above or below the chamber and cause issues. I don't mind just feeding it single shot, but will sort it out when I have time.

Mine was in much rougher condition than the one you have, and seems to shoot well. I just have to sort out some more inserts, and hopefully find or make a larger round one so I can use it offhand at larger bulls. For now with the Shaver inserts I have to kind of size the bulls down some, since the round inserts don't go very large.

I also picked up a early 513T (1940) that needed work, the price was right. It came in a cut down stock for a youth with a weight added in the hollowed out stock and a match sling rail inlet in the forearm. Anyway I replaced the stock with a military trainer and tried to use a numerich magazine catch that screws to the metal insert. It to was insanely tight.

I had the newer style mag catch that screws to the stock, so I used that instead. I did have to shim about 1/16 between the stock and the catch to get the catch high enough so the mags would seat properly to enable the bolt to pick up a round but it works fine.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:37 PM
THREEDFLYER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Production date of 513T??

Sorry to crash the thread, but I picked up a 513T recently locally and wondered how to find the date of production?? Mine is S/N 797XX and does not have a letter prefix and does not have the grooved receiver.

Any help is appreciated.....
Old 07-02-2021, 06:18 AM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun...date_code.html
Old 07-17-2021, 07:01 PM
ordnanceguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Neal71:

A very nice rescue job on that 513. I am very impressed with the wood. I don't think I have ever seen better looking wood on a 513.

Would you mind telling us how you went about refinishing the wood so as to achieve such a beautiful outcome? There are many approaches to refinishing that are cited but the result you obtained is impossible to argue with.

Thanks.

Charlie
Old 07-18-2021, 01:48 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Very nice 513T OP! I think the refinish turned out great!

Some of them have some pretty nice wood. When I bought mine about 30 years ago it didn't look so nice. The wood finish was dark and most of the blueing was gone

These are pics I took 12 years ago. I had refinished the wood and metal sometime in the early 90's...

I decided to take a few more today..