Mercury For Lead Removal - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:47 AM
OLEHUNTER456
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
dangerous things

tetraethel lead as in gasoline .if you opened a bottle of it in a closed room it will kill you quick. the reason its no longer used . it causes brain damage in children !!
Old 06-07-2021, 12:45 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My lead blob was located just 1.5 inches forward of the breach, so I only had use to a small amount of mercury to cover it.
In this photo I have weighed and measured out the amount and placed it into a small bottle that makes it easy to pour it into the funnel.
The graduated cylinder was not used. The lab bottle of mercury is not shown sitting on the scale in this photo. The eye dropper did the transfer.

In this photo I have inserted a plug into the chamber and placed some shot towels into that action just incase there's a very unlikely leak.

In this photo you can see the original container sitting on the scale. I have already put the correct amount into the small bottle on the right.
Once I finished I poured out the the mercury and weighed what came out to see what didn't come back out. The mercury from the barrel was poured into the green bottle you see on the vice.
The amount the poured back out was just .0012 grams less than what went in.
I rinsed the barrel with pure alcohol to make sure it washed out and that was also poured into the green bottle.
The tiny amount left over was on the plug as a very small smear. That plug also went into the green bottle
The green bottle was then taken to a hazardous waste drop off.
The eye dropper did the transfer and was placed into the green bottle along with the plug and left over mercury for disposal.

So in my opinion if it's done with common sense, it's 100% safe to use for this task.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 06-07-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:30 AM
eastbank
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
i used it over 40 years ago to get lead out of badly leaded revolver barrels. one 357 barrel looked like a sewer pipe from shooting soft lead bullets at top speeds.