The “Correct” scope for a 52C... - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:28 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

Perhaps so Clarence, I agree it would be very unusual for them not to be included but the low price and lack of mention in the ad text makes me wonder.

I asked him, we'll see what he says.

Frank
Old 06-03-2021, 11:17 PM
Cactus Mike
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Plenty to think about...

I thought I might inspire some spirited debate with my questions...and I am not disappointed. For those who can remember the “teen idol”, Ricky Nelson, his late in the game hit “Garden Party” has a line in it that simply says “it’s hard to please everyone, so you got to please yourself”...AMEN!

My 52C will very likely wear that Unertl (still negotiating) scope for only one important reason...I think it will look very COOL. I have other modern, optic sighted, tack drivers that may or may not shoot better, but none that look as COOL as that Unertl will on that 52C of mine.

Thanks to all who joined in. I learn something every time I ask important questions.
Regards,
Cactus Mike
Old 06-04-2021, 04:30 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAnderson View Post
If you don't love "old tech," why are you messing around with M. 52 Winchesters? Looks go a LONG way with me.
Yes for me looks are extremely important, as Oscar Wilde wisely said
“It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances. The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible....”

An old classic rifle needs an old classic scope maybe a nice Vintage weaver fixed magnification.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:26 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Invariably, when one of these questions are posed (what is the best scope for my rifle?; what is the most accurate factory rifle?) someone will point out that there are "better" scopes for that rifle than the ones under consideration or there are more accurate rifles available than any factory rifle. What they are saying is true, but they may be missing the point. I agree that a top of the line state of the art modern Swarovski scope should be an improvement in optical performance over a sixty year old Unertl. It would be an embarrassment to the company if it were not.

But there are two questions that come to my mind: 1) is the more modern scope more esthetically pleasing, and 2) is the optical performance gained with the more modern scope head and shoulders over the older scope - to the extent that someone who chooses to use the older scope will be handicapped? The same questions can be posed with the factory vs custom built gun options. Sometimes folks just want to get the best accuracy they can out of a factory rifle. And sometimes they want the best scope that is period correct for their older classic factory gun. But these type of threads seem to drift into argument over the ultimate best.

I have shot the Winchester 52 guns with Unertl scopes for a number of years - in and out of competition - and never felt overly handicapped by the combination as long as I was not thinking in terms of a field gun. While the Unertl may not be quiet as good as a top dollar top of the line modern scope, it has proven itself to be more than adequate for my purposes. I recall being at a bench rest match and looking through another competitors high quality bench rest scope and being somewhat surprised at how little difference there was between that scope and my 20X Unertl. Now if it was a question of being on a deer stand at twilight, then one should be able to take better advantage of the advances made in modern optics. But to imply that the Unertl is so inferior to modern scopes as to justify saying one should not even consider one is a bit misleading. Just as the old winchester 52 is still respected for it's capabilities, the old Unertls and Lymans are still capable of getting the job done. And let's face it, we aren't a bunch of wild game hunters sitting around discussing the best gun/ammo combination for killing meat for sustenance; we are talking about a bunch of guys who are fortunate enough to have the resources to think of guns as luxury items. And as with all luxury items, we are driven more by preferences than by needs.

Cactus Mike, I don't think you will be disappointed should you end up with that Unertl (or another one or a Lyman) on that 52C. But if you decide in the future it's not what you want, you haven't exactly thrown your money down a rat hole by purchasing that scope. Like the old Winchesters, they hold their values.

Good luck,

James
Old 06-04-2021, 08:32 AM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
Invariably, when one of these questions are posed (what is the best scope for my rifle?; what is the most accurate factory rifle?) someone will point out that there are "better" scopes for that rifle than the ones under consideration or there are more accurate rifles available than any factory rifle. What they are saying is true, but they may be missing the point.
I'd change "may" to "absolutely ARE."
Old 06-05-2021, 10:21 AM
Johnymango

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are patient and check online auctions you could find another model 52 with a scope that you want for around that price. Buy it and use the scope for yours and keep or sell the other gun. Win win.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:32 AM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
Perhaps so Clarence, I agree it would be very unusual for them not to be included but the low price and lack of mention in the ad text makes me wonder.

I asked him, we'll see what he says.

Frank
No response yet? Probably already sold...and not surprising.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:37 AM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The ad is still up and no response to PM or question posted in the ad.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...o=ad&id=264607
Old 06-05-2021, 01:14 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Fwiw, Ive had 'hit&miss' results with getting responses on the Trading Post. I guess it's kinda like my shooting.....
Old 06-05-2021, 02:22 PM
ClarenceAnderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Fwiw, Ive had 'hit&miss' results with getting responses on the Trading Post. I guess it's kinda like my shooting.....
I gave one seller my phone no. & asked him to call me about the gun he had listed; it never happened.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:26 AM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm a person that only puts vintage scopes on vintage rifles. If you don't, it's like putting a 350 Chevy V8 in a Model A Ford - people have always hotrodded older things, but to me it looks horrible. I just hate the way the new scopes look with their giant objectives, sharp edges, mat finish and such. So good for you for looking at appropriate era scopes!

I've shot Lyman Targetspots on my older 52s, and recently tried a 1950s Litschert 20X. Both work fine. I also have an 18X Unertl on another pre-war 52, so it's not an exact "era match" but close. I've shot in matches against people with Anschuz's and modern glass. And can beat a lot of them!

For 100 yards, any of the old external mount scopes from about 10X to 18X are very nice, bright, and sharp. Look for one for around $500, and you'll be set to wow the people at the range with their black/plastic rifles and Iraq war scopes.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:49 AM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (274)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Yep, I've frequently wondered why someone would go to the trouble of posting an ad in the TP, then not respond to PMs about the item -- inquiries or even offers; or even come back on occasion to check whether there's been a response. It's happened more than a few times and it's a head-scratcher.

Doug
Old 06-09-2021, 09:15 AM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I think it's mostly inexperienced users who don't understand the private message function Doug. Especially if they're accessing RFC with a handheld device and/or non-standard browser. It's not an unusual complaint to hear a member saying they can't send or receive PMs.

Just a guess,

Frank
Old 06-09-2021, 09:21 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The worst:
I post up AND pm 'I'll take it" and get no acknowledgment or response then it gets sold to somebody else at a later time and/or day
But then Im from the generation that a man's word is his bond and accepting a sellers terms is a deal, first one to do so gets it. It aint had to do on a forum, the date/time stamp is right there for all to see.
It comes down to integrity.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:26 AM
Greg Palman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Not If He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
You can buy a lot better glass than an old tech Unertl for $1,400. Looks only go so far. Just sayin'...
doesn't want to drill and tap his action. Other outside option is to try and find a Vianni scope mount for the 52C

At practical 22 RF ranges I see nothing wrong or to be wished for better in any Unertl or Lyman STS I have. None.