Marlin XT22 Front Sling Stud, need a fix - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin XT22 Front Sling Stud, need a fix

I bought a couple of XT22, one for me and my father. When we put the front sling on we noticed that the stud was deep and the sling mount was digging into the wood stock. We gave the studs a turn and that fixed the problem, but now the stud turns when you pull one way or the other on the sling.
Is there a way to fix this so that the stud is tight in the socket?
Old 01-28-2018, 08:20 PM
malice4you

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I seem to recall that the sling stud on my XT22 is what I'd call a short one - threading is maybe 5/16" long. You might be able to go on ebay/amazon/etc and find a longer stud - something more like a 1/2" +. Just make sure it doesn't go through the wood and touch the barrel (I think I replaced mine with a longer one, without issue)

In the meantime, you might consider a thin washer and/or lock washer or rubber gasket of some kind (or possibly glue).

If the hole is truly done, you might be able to modify the stock to take either a machine screw sling stud using the same hole (you'd need the barrel side of the stock to take a nut), or you can drill a second hole. If having that hole would bother you, save the sawdust to mix with some glue.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:41 PM
NEW222

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I see you mentioned wood stock. That is good. What I like to do to tighten up screw holes some is to remove the stud completely. I then apply a drop or two of CA / Crazy glue onto teh threads in the wood. Let dry a bit, a couple of minutes, apply a couple more drops, wait for it to dry, then re-install your sling stud. Should firm it up a good bit. While I have not personally done such on a sling swivel stud, I have done it many times before on other wood parts where mounting a screw solid was important. This does also work if your screw hole is also slightly stripped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 09:42 PM
NEW222

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Forgot to mention, any CA / Crazy glue is ok. I mainly use the stuff from the dollar store.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 PM
ferg
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Remove the stud, install a match stick, reinstall stud.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Marlin567994
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
Remove the stud, install a match stick, reinstall stud.
This, but I like to use tooth pics
Old 01-30-2018, 07:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent suggestions. Thanks so much.
My father used to rebuild pianos and mentioned the toothpick method also. I think we will try that.
Cheers y'all!

Hmm... I emailed Marlin about it and they asked for my serial #'s and mailing address. I'm guessing they're going to send something to fix it. I'll see what they send before doing anything.

Last edited by atomicsmurf; 01-30-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update:
Remington is sending me two spacers for free. They said use a little epoxy also.