Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Old 17 mach 2 ammo

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  rc. 
#1 ·
How do you guys think this will shoot
First production run 2004

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
I've not shot a box for groups since..... probably 2005 or 2006. Shot ok back then, but we has eley and remington that shot better. The original batch would do 2200 fps and was the reason it claimed so many 1022 conversions. I have a brick for posterity, and one that gets sparingly used for yard squirrels.

#5 · (Edited)
Chrono Numbers comparison

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479609

I found that the "first production run" Hornady was slower than some others, as in the post above. Accuracy wise it is as good as any, one hole at 25 yards in my modified Ruger 77/17, except when one of the necks split, which would drop the bullet 1" low consistently.

Additionally, the point of impact (of the groups with no split necks) is lower by 1/2 inch at 25 yards.

I still have a couple cases of this ammo. I'll keep the rifle sighted in for it until I run out of the ammo.

#6 ·
Yep with my new test, my early lot of Hornady hit 2200fps as did Eley and Remington. Federal came in close at 1175. All the early run ammo shoots fine in my 77/17. They really need to offer original spec ammo again and give it a +P headstamp like 38s and move on. I had a green mountain 96/22 conversion barrel and heavy bolt handle on one of my 10/22s and had fired a brick or so of ammo through it without any blow ups. All original spec ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.