Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:40 PM
tlhodgson
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Congratulations. I'd say you got a great deal. The 7" barrels are hard to find. I have one with the 7" barrel and one with the 5.5". Both are great shooters. I really like these pistols.

The spacers/buffers are pretty commonly available. I just ordered some from Numrich a couple of weeks ago. Just got notification that they have shipped. The target grips are also available from a number of sources. Altamont Grips makes them. You can also find them on ebay.

You need to be a little careful disassembling it. There is a hook at the back end of the sight rail that is mounted to the barrel. It mates with a hook on the alloy frame. These (the hook on the sight rail) break off sometimes. Some say it's a result of the barrel not being seated firmly in the frame. I think it happens because people aren't careful when taking the gun apart. If it breaks off, it's not a big deal. This is not a structural part of the gun. One of mine is broken off, and it shoots fine.

Have fun with it, They are great guns.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:19 AM
RawDog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the additional info.
I learned a lot from the disassembly process. I will be careful of the rear hook, as well as the explosive recoil spring and guide rod LOL. Now I know that once the barrel is lifted off the frame/slide, the spring and rod are sitting right there, exposed On top of the slide, and will make sure to place my finger over the top of them to keep them from becoming airborne.
When stripped for cleaning, I didnít see any abnormal wear anywhere. I watched a few review videos on YouTube and saw some strange wear patterns present on some guns out there. I donít think this one has been shot a whole lot. Was told it was low round count, but really who knows?

I have a half dozen buffers and two recoil springs on order from Numrich as well. Now I know that there is a couple week delay, which is okay.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:19 PM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a pretty good deal on a set of grips for my 22-A1 from Altamont. Very happy with them.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:07 AM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rawdog,

Enjoy your 22S. The 22A/S is a pretty accurate and reliable pistol. Like already stated, periodically check the recoil buffer.

I bought my 22A years ago when Cabela's had them for $199 (2008?). Mine has the 5 1/2" barrel. I ended up putting a Bushnell TRS-25 on mine. The stock black sights were always hard to see for me and the redo makes it more enjoyable to shoot. Plus the TRS-25 seems to make the pistol more balanced in my hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW22A.jpg (132.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-05-2020, 11:42 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Actually, I owned a 22S Target model at one time. I sold it because I had a model 41 and didn't think I needed both. I regret that now, one just can't have too many .22 caliber target pistols.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:17 PM
RawDog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What does the 22s Target model look like?
I also have M41 PC that is NIB.

Although the buffer on the 22s looks like it still has some life left, I ordered 6 more and a couple recoil springs.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:40 PM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what I could find, the difference between the standard 22A/S and the 22A/S Target models is the grips.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:40 PM
Andyd
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
I have an early 22A that has over 115,000 rounds through it and the hook that broke on the sight rib did not break for a disassembly glitch, it was the first version with the integral claw of the cast sight rib that failed. It was replaced by S&W with a new design, where the claw was riveted to the rib.

My first version sight rib broke, the firing pins broke every 20k rounds, all springs set and were much shorter, the aluminium frame broke at 60k. The magazines still are working very well. S&W sent me a lot of spare parts under warranty and the last time I had a firing pin break, they just sent me several.

Anyway, by the time you paid for 60k rounds, that cheap gun is written off.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:36 AM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is my 22A with the Altamont grips.

S&W_22A.jpg
Old 08-06-2020, 10:12 AM
RawDog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
From what I could find, the difference between the standard 22A/S and the 22A/S Target models is the grips.
That is all that could find/discern as well.